Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Edgeware Qatar?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
okedata

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

battleshipb_b wrote:
Malachy, ....... I don't know how he does it

Really?

I concur with what has been said about the shabby way QP treated the contractors from the old firm. If I said what had really gone on, they'd ask for the post to be taken down as quick as you like. The newbies (and not so newbies) from Edgewater would do well to tread very carefully, to look at the power structure there, to note who avoids whom, to (clue) do the math, and to remember the old adage, that if he cheated on her with you, he'll cheat on you with the next floozie who comes along.
battleshipb_b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MOD edit
idaho_potato

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malary is back in charge of the Gulag? I hear he represents for the new subcontractor Edgewater. Hmmm. My last Gulag post was in the Imitiaz days. I think they took over from Malarky, so he's won the hearts and minds of GP again. Hmmm.
the lowlander

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:18 am    Post subject: Edgewater Reply with quote

Edgewater are the current contractors for QP.

I'm sure that this contractor is no better, or worse, than any that have gone before.

However, the contractor is NOT the issue.

The ISSUE is the client. In this case QP.

QP have a horrendous track record for mass hiring and firing, and Edgewater will have no control over this, regardless of how good, or bad, they might be.

QP and Qatar should be given a very wide berth.
topshop

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:53 am    Post subject: Language solutions contractors Reply with quote

what about those langsols contractors who survived the imtiaz purge are now working for malachy? I seem to remember that quite a few long timers were moved from imtiaz to lang sols. I wonder if they are still there or was it only the October 2011 crew that were ousted?

QP has some strange types working as direct hires!
sharter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:24 am    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

Is Yousef (MOD edit) still leading the the English Department with Khamil (Mod edit)? Did Tariq (MOD edit) retire? What about Saffa?

And of the old direct hires is big Tim still about? I'd like to say hi if he is.

QP was always a mixed bag re the teachers. I had some good mates there, some of whom I still know but had some clashes too........I was not entirely innocent. At the time my marriage was going wrong and I was a bit of a *beep* at times. However, there were some really sneaky shitesters there too and those that tried to make the place miserable. The whole good teacher thing was irrelevant as the students were quite hopeless. You could go in there speaking Mandarin and half of them wouldn't raise an eyebrow.

(Mod edit for names)
idaho_potato

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Language solutions contractors Reply with quote

topshop wrote:
what about those langsols contractors who survived the imtiaz purge are now working for malachy? I seem to remember that quite a few long timers were moved from imtiaz to lang sols. I wonder if they are still there or was it only the October 2011 crew that were ousted?

QP has some strange types working as direct hires!

Too true. However, Lang Sols contractor will not give teachers the NOC if they want to move to Edgewater. They are allowing some teachers to stay until the end of their contract to job-hunt. They don't mind them finding a job with someone else, but not with the competition.
the lowlander

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:47 pm    Post subject: Edgewater Reply with quote

To the best of my knowledge, this isn't the case. Langs Sols partner, CDC, was not involved in preventing anyone from moving over to Edgewater.

What happened was that QP told us that we were all sacked, thanks very much, bye bye.

There was never any opportunity to swap contractors.
idaho_potato

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One or two teachers applied to Edgewater and were told they they couldn't be hired because CDC the contractor would not give the NOC. Maybe different strokes for different folks? Some teachers are still here job hunting and still under CDC's sponsorship. This is to the best of my knowledge as related from someone who was not allowed to move to Edgewater. From what I was told, Lang Sols didn't care one way or the other.
the lowlander

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:12 pm    Post subject: Edgewater Qatar Reply with quote

This is how things panned out when I was there. Er......you're all sacked, the airport's that way.

When teachers asked QP, at the moment of their summary execution, if they could be spared the axe if they joined Edgewater, they were told no. End of story.

At that, the folk I knew either left the country immediately, or quickly found other work in Qatar.

The fact that CDC have allowed some teachers to stay on in their apartments and under CDC's continued sponsorship, says something positive for CDC, I think.

The impression I have is that Lang Sols and CDC both had no objection to teachers moving over to Edgewater, but that QP was hell-bent on one of its regular mass cullings. Something for which it has become famous.

I don't think we'll ever know the full story, but what is not in doubt is that fact that the October 2011 teachers were treated appallingly, and for what it's worth, I personally point the finger of blame at QP.
Redcar24

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:22 am    Post subject: Don't do it Reply with quote

Looks like I was spared the axe,,,,,But the Gulag is no different no need to be involved in this company....
landcruzer

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LangSols teachers were not able to get NOC. Laws regarding NOC supposed to change. Last I heard they still need 2 teachers.
landcruzer

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also rumors of a pay raise as the salary they offered was not competitive. I heard the new salary is 13,500 QR/mo.

Accomodation not ideal.
okedata

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

landcruzer wrote:
Also rumors of a pay raise as the salary they offered was not competitive. I heard the new salary is 13,500 QR/mo.

Accomodation not ideal.

People on the ground say that a few have been fired already (QP always ask for the contractor to send more people than they actually need - so high is the attrition rate) and the accommodation is very far from ideal.
blastermill

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:43 pm    Post subject: Back to the Gulag Reply with quote

QP had classrooms in Villagio Mall (what a crazy place to put classrooms) and natch with the closure of the mall, the students and teachers had to be relocated to - guess where - back to the old Gulag premises near the Marriott. What a strange turn of events! I have never worked at the Gulag but had plenty of buddies who have.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Qatar All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: