Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best inexpensive ESL-er vacation spots
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dynow

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

simon_porter00 wrote:
maybe you weren't kombinowac enough. I'd say that was your problem - wouldn't you?

no, i wouldn't.

but i don't think that's the point here.....or at least certainly not mine.

when someone creates a thread asking what one can do for 800zl max on a weekend trip, you answer that question based on what things actually cost, not what you personally could manage to cannive. to boot, when criticised for doing just that, accuse others for not having their kombinowanie quite up to speed.

Why ask the question in the first place if the potential price for the trip could actually be zero....if you know enough people.

yes, we all have friends. yes, we've all gone a week on our mother in law's home cooking or borrowed a car. But that's just not the point here.
simon_porter00

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
when someone creates a thread asking what one can do for 800zl max on a weekend trip, you answer that question based on what things actually cost, not what you personally could manage to cannive

What I meant about you being OTT is exactly shown by what you've written above.
No-one on this thread has mentioned anything about 'kombinowac'ing/canniving anything until YOU said it and started to laugh at somebody who probably hasn't even seen this thread.

YOU started the argument, YOU fuelled the argument and now YOU are saying that it's terrible, unrealistic & misleading. YOU're arguing with YOUrself.
sharter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:40 pm    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

The short answer is that 800zs gets you very little if you stay in a hotel and have to travel to get there. From Poznan the bus to and from Berlin is 260 and the Motel 1 is 300 per night.....and that's cheap.
maniak

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simon_porter00 wrote:

'kombinowac'ing/canniving

finally... i found a translation for kombinowac = to connive

it doesnt cover the full spread of what kombinowac means but its close enough

thank you porter
dynow

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maniak wrote:

[/quote]thank you porter[quote]

nothin' for nothin', but I wrote that, he was quoting me.
maniak

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah then thank you dynow.
john123

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Sharter,
You are living in cloud cuckoo land, and no sensible human being would live their lives based on your wild estimates. And if you cannot afford to stay in a hotel, stay in a hostel. There are many good ones in Berlin, with quiet single rooms.
By the way, a bus to Berlin from Poznan is 65zl one way, and even cheaper if you play your cards right. Check polskibus.com

Thank you

John
sharter

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:34 am    Post subject: what? Reply with quote

Yet another wise guy. I was in Berlin 4 weeks ago and that's what I paid for Motel 1 on Un der Urania Strasse. I took the shuttle bus from Poznan glowny directly to Tegel and that's what it cost. I've spent 9 years staying in the hotels of Poznan (since my divorce), so I'd guess I know something about that too. Online prices are often misleading. Hotels will even try and change the room rate you've booked and paid for once you actually turn up.

If you've read any of my posts over the past umpteen years, you will know that I teach English for oil companies on rotation and therefore can afford to do whatever I like thanks. I make about 250,000Zl a year and have free accommodation and food...BUPA health care and 6 return tickets a year. I don't stay in hostels as I'm not a backpacker and have a son. On the rare occasions I have ventured into hostel land...ie the Frolic Goats, Very Berry and Kameleon...I never paid less than 100Zl for a single room. However, I like my own bathroom. I stayed in the Lech last time and that worked out at 200Zl a night and it's hardly a good hotel.

So if cuckoo land is reality what's yours? How many hotels have you stayed in in Berlin and Poznan?

Of course, after 6 weeks in the desert I could stay in a rathole pokoj goscinne in Ogrodowa and drink 4Zl beers in the Pyra Bar all night and eat hotdogs, zapiekanka and kebab w bulce. I could evven bum a bed at a mate's house. That would be really cheap but I simply wouldn't enjoy it much. In Poland there's the world of cheap pap and the world of ludicroulsy priced mediocrity; just look at the property.....and then Google flats in Berlin, Spain, Turkey etc....Poland's a rip off merchant's paradise.

And on a positive note, I found a really cool bar off Kant Strasse in Berlin called Absetz in Charlottenburg (Google it)...super good and open till 6am. At 75 Euro a bottle, the Moet was a bit steep though.
sharter

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:12 pm    Post subject: and Reply with quote

And the hostel next to Zoo cost 40-60 Euro for a room....I know cos I went there. The whole trip was organized by a Berliner I know. So, apparently you know more than her. You also know more about Poznan than me.

I think you live like a Pole and I live like a western European.
sharter

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:36 am    Post subject: and...re the op Reply with quote

I just Googled trekking holiday package trips and 4 days trekking, 2 days of sightseeing and 2 days of travel, getting there and getting home, all inclusive in a 3* hotel will cost you on average 950 GBP or 5,000Zl. I can go to Hurghada for a month, 4* all inclusive for the same....or do Turkey for 200GBP a week!! Go figure.
hrvatski

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

living on spare grosze in Krakow > teaching arabs in the desert Wink

we're all gonna die in the end, might as well have fun getting there Razz
sharter

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:36 pm    Post subject: yep Reply with quote

I lived in Poland for years before I divorced. Now I live like a rock star for 3 weeks every six weeks and love it.

I spend the 6 as me time. Wink...gym. reading, etc etc

I'm bored to death with Poland and wouldn't go there if it weren't for my son....much better places for a TEFLER to be skint in.....places with beaches....people who smile and aren't out to 'kombinowach' you!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Poland All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: