Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Republic of Ireland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chester yang

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:57 pm    Post subject: Republic of Ireland Reply with quote

Conspicuous by it's absence, does anybody teach in Republic of Ireland? From what I hear, that country is being flooded with foreigners...perhaps there is a market?

Also, what's the international school scene there? Is there any?

Anybody with experience in Republic of Ireland, chime in please! It's such a nice country
spiral78

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reckon that, as in most Anglophone countries, the locals have the job market sewn up. There's an old thread about this somewhere in which the OP, who was an American asking the same question, got skewered for suggesting that the Irish might need her assistance to teach 'their' immigrants and international students.

Are you Irish?
chester yang

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
I reckon that, as in most Anglophone countries, the locals have the job market sewn up. There's an old thread about this somewhere in which the OP, who was an American asking the same question, got skewered for suggesting that the Irish might need her assistance to teach 'their' immigrants and international students.

Are you Irish?

I am Irish ethnicity, but USA born and raised and have dual citizenship. I've been curious as of late about different opportunities in the old country. I visited a few years ago and noticed mostly ethnic Irish, but my cousins say that it has the same issues that the USA and the UK has in regards to immigrants. I've come across many opportunities in the USA to teach ESL, ranging from volunteer work to being licensed and working in public schools and international schools on USA soil...I wonder if Republic of Ireland has a similar situation.
spiral78

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you've got the citizenship then it's obviously not impossible that you could find something. Just as in the US, when the economy is tight most jobs will be filled by locals who have connections and a local rep, but if/when Ireland happens to have an influx of immigrants and/or international students, perhaps they will be needing to hire from abroad.

Basically, the job market for EFL is fairly tight in most of the US and locals are usually favoured - the situation will be the same in Ireland. That leaves you with some chance, but not exactly a wide-open shot, either.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Republic doesn't seem to have much of an international school scene at all. Plenty of language mills for short-term language learners but that's about all I know of.

'Flooded by foreigners' is an age old hazard there, with the historical consequences being played out as we speak : )

However, with the collapse of the Celtic Tiger, lots of immigrants have gone home, and the locals have returned to traditional emigration also. Whatever EFL market there was there is shrinking now, apart from the usual summer school shenanigans that are best avoided. 15 euro a hour? No thank you.

Have you got an EU passport? That's another hurdle.

I think you're better off in North Korea : )
scot47

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even worse than trying to live by EFLing in the United (Disunited ?) Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland !
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably is now. But before the financial meltdown I remember there were a couple of teachers from London working part-time in the same school as where I was. Could make more money, they said, and they felt safer there. The tanks at Heathrow Airport nonsense, the reports of fundamentalist terrorist threats etc. decided them on fleeing the UK and living in Ireland. Ah, the irony...
eihpos

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's true. I'm from Ireland and can tell you it's very difficult to find anything outside of peak season (summer months). If you were interested in summer schools there are some, mostly in Dublin. During the year, there is the odd position, mostly Dublin, part - time. Full time jobs are rare and I think the schools have a low turnover or not many students, probably the latter. There are teachers who make a living in TEFL here, but most have to juggle 2 or 3 different part - time jobs. It is quite flooded with foreigners here but most of them have built up their own little community here and don't really care about learning English!

If you were really set on working here I would suggest trying somewhere relatively big like IH Dublin for summer work and maybe you would be lucky and they would keep you on.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't they still have the Chinese sweat-shop visa scam classes? Or have they gone the way of the Celtic Tiger too? They used to be good all year round.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: