Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Jordan, Lebanon, UAE - General Query

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adcameron

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:12 am    Post subject: Jordan, Lebanon, UAE - General Query Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I browsed a few of the ME threads, but wanted to present my own situation to y'all as well. Here goes: I'm 26, have a BA in Middle Eastern Studies, and I have two years' experience working as a refugee caseworker at a nonprofit in Los Angeles and some informal teaching experience (I've taught ESL/American culture/citizenship classes to refugees at work). I'm thinking of leaving sometime near the end of the summer or possibly in the fall to do some traveling while I apply to grad school for fall '13, and since I can't go to Iran, I figured I'd go somewhere to improve my Arabic. My Arabic is intermediate, but would probably improve quickly with just a few weeks over there.

I've been considering Jordan or Lebanon, but based on what I've been reading on here, job opportunities for someone with my profile would be slim. I've also considered Dubai because of the almost half a million Iranian expats there (my Persian has gotten pretty good because of my job and I don't want to lose it), but just from what I know about Dubai, I'm sure it's the same story.

Right now I'm looking at a few certification options in LA. One is LCCTeach, which offers a 100-hour in-class TESL certification, although I'm dreading spending five weekends in a row in class Crying or Very sad

All of this being said, I don't mind breaking even or even having to dip into a bit of savings to last a while over there (as a single guy, I've been able to save a decent amount, even living in Los Angeles). Let me know what y'all think about all this. Thanks!
nomad soul

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:53 am    Post subject: Re: Jordan, Lebanon, UAE - General Query Reply with quote

Check for teaching opportunities with AMIDEAST (http://www.amideast.org/).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: