Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is UNE at Armidale, Australia a good school?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Australia/New Zealand
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Is UNE a good school?
YES
71%
 71%  [ 5 ]
NO
28%
 28%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 7

cleonar3

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 9:28 am    Post subject: Is UNE at Armidale, Australia a good school? Reply with quote

I was just accepted into the distance program at the University of New England, MA in Linguistics, and would like to know if this is a good school. Also, if the MA is recognized in the United States, as I would like to teach at the University level in the U.S.
timothypfox

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not a distance education course from a recognized US university such as University of Phoenix or New School (New York City)?

Unfortunately, most distance MAs still have a stigma attached to them right now in the US. I don't know how the UNE program is regarded. Just a caution.
marguerite wild

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:42 am    Post subject: UNE is a top notch school Reply with quote

Hi, just saw your post. I have three degrees through
UNE and can tell you you won't be disappointed. I did all my degrees via distance education, they are excellent and very well-received in Australia, and I presume overseas. Regards, Marguerite
Noelle

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:34 am    Post subject: UNE Reply with quote

They sound like an excellent school with a very strong program in Linguistics. I had the privilege of meeting one of the program coordinators (or possibly the director) at TESOL where I first learned about UNE.

I was VERY impressed.
spiral78

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that the U of Phoenix has an uneven rep- as an employer I'd be more impressed by a degree from a reputable Australian programme.

New School is a very different proposition- they are eminently credible in the field of ESL/EFL.
AGoodStory

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second what Spiral said. The hiring committee at my school does not consider a degree from U of Phoenix to be an acceptable qualification. A colleague on the committee put it this way: "I wouldn't say that a degree from the University of Phoenix is actually a disqualification. But if we had two applicants for a particular job, there's a good chance that we would not offer it to the candidate with the U of Phoenix degree."

ETA: My uni (in US) would definitely consider a candidate with an MA from UNE in Australia. (However, as timothypfox mentioned, a distance degree is not as well-received as the on-site variety.)

The New School, also mentioned above, is highly regarded here--other things being equal, a degree from The New School would place you in the running. Given your goal, I would apply to MA programs in the US that offer teaching assistant positions. You'd receive a stipend, pay no tuition, and get university teaching experience.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Australia/New Zealand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: