Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

U of Electronic Science & Technology of China Zhongshan

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
keeperofpythons

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:58 am    Post subject: U of Electronic Science & Technology of China Zhongshan Reply with quote

I fit as much of the full name of the University in the title as I could: University of Electronic Science and Technology of China - Zhongshan Institute (电子科技大学中山学院).

After multiple rounds of haggling over points in the contract, I feel that I'm close to agreeing to go work there next semester. However, I've not found much literature about it online (in English), so I suppose one could argue that no news is good news. I did find the CVs of some individuals who had worked there and e-mailed them, but they were former employees and said that it would be better to contact someone currently there. Shocked Rolling Eyes Question That struck me as a peculiar response.

The school gave me the contact information of current FTs at the school, and I wrote them yesterday, but as of yet have not received any replies. In my impatience, I wrote this thread to see if anyone out there had any good news or bad news about this place. Thanks.
danasoverseasemail

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I do not answer messages or requests for information for job seekers. While recruiters or employers may provide contact information (with or without their permission), that gives no obligation to me to provide anyone with any comment regarding my employment at any previous or current employer.

I'm not sure why everyone thinks that all foreigners belong to some secret club and have an obligation to assist others. To me, it's the same as being expected to hang out with or wave at other foreigners just because I am also a foreigner.

Thus, don't be too darned surprised that someone out there doesn't want to answer your questions.
Javelin of Radiance

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're already in China surely you know that patience is something one needs a lot of here? You only emailed these people yesterday. They probably have priorities other than responding instantly to emails from someone they don't know. I take my time replying to these things as well because 99% of the time you never hear from the individual again.
keeperofpythons

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I have no problem with helping other people. Perhaps you do.

They said that the individual gave permission. That may or may not be true.

I'm also not sure why some people, not everyone, think that all foreigners belong to some secret club. To me, it's also the same as the expectation you mentioned.

By the way, that person called me back, long-distance. I generally reply to similar inquiries within 24 hours as well.

So while I do have much more info to work with now, I'd still be interested if there's anything else out there. Thanks in advance.
MisterButtkins

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I answer the questions of other foreigners who might want to work at the school I work for because I am a nice guy. I was under the impression that most people would do the same.
danasoverseasemail

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With all the talk here of how the Chinese (allegedly) always lie, cheat, steal, commit fraud, coerce, etc. foreigners to come here and work for them and then more agregious acts upon arrival and employment, why would you assume that any former/current teacher would be honest in their opinions? Why isn't there a blanket assumption that they have been paid to say good things? Why don't you assume the same drunkard womanizing foreigners don't have some axe to grind by providing negative comments about an employer? There is no reason to trust anyone whatsoever.
xiguagua

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danasoverseasemail wrote:
With all the talk here of how the Chinese (allegedly) always lie, cheat, steal, commit fraud, coerce, etc. foreigners to come here and work for them and then more agregious acts upon arrival and employment, why would you assume that any former/current teacher would be honest in their opinions? Why isn't there a blanket assumption that they have been paid to say good things? Why don't you assume the same drunkard womanizing foreigners don't have some axe to grind by providing negative comments about an employer? There is no reason to trust anyone whatsoever.

I do agree to this to some extent. But that's also why you gotta use more than just some random guys word in a given situation. I'm the first to admit the city I lived in before is a hellhole, but I liked it there. I at least recognize that most people probably wouldn't and let them know that pretty bluntly.

I've also been in contact with people who are paid to say good things and well, it's obvious. The fact that he said "There's nothing wrong with where i'm at and i've had no problems, it's been perfect!" kinda sends red flags. No one should go on the word of some random dude on the internet. You gotta see through the BS and be able to recognize that some guy is horribly flaming a location, maybe there are some ulterior reasons that he is so adamant about a location.

I also tend to agree that foreigners don't "belong to a certain club where we have to wave at each other all the time" But I think giving info regarding a school (while not obligated to do so) seems to be common courtesy. If there's a sudden drop in the road that causes you to plummet to your death, are you gonna sit back with some popcorn and watch people unknowingly drive right into it, or are you gonna let them know?

Extreme example, but if a school is a terrible place, breaching contract, cheating people, under paying, horrible administration etc, why not let other people know about it and possibly effect their school instead of saying nothing and allowing them to keep finding people? Conversely, if it's a great school, why not try to help them out as a reward for being a good school? just my opinion.
Zero

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danasoverseasemail wrote:
Personally, I do not answer messages or requests for information for job seekers. While recruiters or employers may provide contact information (with or without their permission), that gives no obligation to me to provide anyone with any comment regarding my employment at any previous or current employer.

I'm not sure why everyone thinks that all foreigners belong to some secret club and have an obligation to assist others. To me, it's the same as being expected to hang out with or wave at other foreigners just because I am also a foreigner.

Thus, don't be too darned surprised that someone out there doesn't want to answer your questions.
That's true. There are a decent number of people out there with personality disorders and antisocial tendencies, especially in the EFL industry.
shadowrider

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xiguagua wrote:

Extreme example, but if a school is a terrible place, breaching contract, cheating people, under paying, horrible administration etc, why not let other people know about it and possibly effect their school instead of saying nothing and allowing them to keep finding people? Conversely, if it's a great school, why not try to help them out as a reward for being a good school? just my opinion.

... and certain antisocial posters here will just chide any teacher for breaking the law here and not letting the school walk all over the teacher. Same poster says any negative talk about the school or China should be banned and illegal here as the Chinese censors might get upset.

No one here has an OBLIGATION to help other FTs. If we do, its because we need to somehow stick together. You know damn well the CTs do. That being said, I found other FTs to be bigger back stabbers then the Chinese. At least with the CTs and administration you tend to expect that, as business is business, and perceived jealous about the *rich* foreigner teacher somehow justifies it.

We are all commodities here. Air breathers, marketing tools and accounting expenses to our employers, thats it. Just here to fill a slot. No more, no less. If a school is bad, and we have personal experience, it is almost our responsibility to call them out on it.
RonnieColeman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wondering if anybody had any updated information about working here?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: