Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Adveti
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No... do you? Rolling Eyes

VS
Neutrino Girl

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What has been said about the high pay at Adveti is totally true. I don't work for them, but I have friends who do. They had the highest salaries going until a year or two ago when they were drastically reduced.
goodooga

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:30 am    Post subject: Ta Reply with quote

Thanks for verifying that. There you go, Ms Know Almost All (aka VS). I am neither a dreamer nor liar.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And how long did this ADVETI pay these salaries? One year? Two years? How many teachers are we talking about? Two? A half dozen? A hundred?

I prefer to deal in facts.

So, I did a search for ADVETI, and found it mentioned in a total of 6 threads since 2008... all information given of the "I heard" category. Says that it is under ADEC and all hiring was being done in Australia by the contract holder. High salaries... but, many teachers stuck in hotels... no other benefits. (no tickets or gratuity or school fees) Acceptable for a single, but not married w/family. I had to read all size threads to glean this.

So... for about a year or two, this new contract existed until they realized that they didn't know anything about the local market, and then Kaplan took over?

Why is getting information from some people like drawing teeth? Rolling Eyes

VS
2buckets

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been in Abu Dhabi for 18 years and never heard of this company, nor of such high salaries. The first company I worked for lost it's contract a couple years after I started with them and a couple of dozen, well qualified teachers were scrambling for new jobs, and no one ever came across Adveti. I've questioned colleagues recently and no one else has heard of them either.

Doesn't mean they don't/didn't exist, but strange it's such a well kept secret among the talkative TEFLers.
secretsquirrel

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can back up NG. I interviewed for a post at ADVETI and AAVETI a couple of years back, and the salaries on offer were WAY in excess of 20k (AED) per month. However, this figure included housing allowances and ticket money, etc - perhaps even the education allowance. That would explain it all.

However, the following year Krapland came along, and the whole thing went to pieces. Oh, the pleasant nature of corporate greed!
Neutrino Girl

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
And how long did this ADVETI pay these salaries? One year? Two years? How many teachers are we talking about? Two? A half dozen? A hundred?

I prefer to deal in facts.

So, I did a search for ADVETI, and found it mentioned in a total of 6 threads since 2008... all information given of the "I heard" category. Says that it is under ADEC and all hiring was being done in Australia by the contract holder. High salaries... but, many teachers stuck in hotels... no other benefits. (no tickets or gratuity or school fees) Acceptable for a single, but not married w/family. I had to read all size threads to glean this.

VS

I believe that they only paid high salaries for a couple of years. As for numbers, I'm not sure about that, but they have institutes in Abu Dhabi and in Al Ain, maybe elsewhere as well. They hire within the UAE as well as in Australia (maybe elsewhere too???) and friends I have who work for them get a housing allowance, so possibly that's why people were in hotels (they had to find their own housing). They were not getting school fees / flights, as that was considered as included in the salary.

Brilliant, especially for people without kids...fairer in my opinion. Too bad it ended!

Edit: I should add that friends I have who work there say that people should avoid the place like the plague. It has gotten that bad.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neutrino Girl wrote:
Edit: I should add that friends I have who work there say that people should avoid the place like the plague. It has gotten that bad.

sigh... isn't that how it always seems to go... Crying or Very sad

VS
D. Merit

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't you think you should apologise for, basically, calling another poster a liar, vs?

This is almost as embarrassing as your 'My Egyptian Master's Trumps A British One' debacle. Laughing
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D. Merit wrote:
This is almost as embarrassing as your 'My Egyptian Master's Trumps A British One' debacle. Laughing

You shouldn't be embarrassed... in the Middle East, my American MA done at AUCairo did and does trump any British MA. After all, it came with two years of teaching Arabic speakers.

Previous poster had his chance to explain himself, but preferred to be snotty... his choice.

VS
Gus Barkley

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think many of us read the Dh 30k+ number had our jaws drop. Badar and VS simply stated what most of us were thinking... That the comments were met with a hostile reaction is exactly why many people hesitate to comment on here.

The Adveti numbers still seem incredible to me but I am not questioning the veracity of the posters, only the civility. Smile
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: