Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Online MA degree from a real campus?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
musaafira

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:34 pm    Post subject: Online MA degree from a real campus? Reply with quote

Hi all,

I posted this topic on the Saudi forum, but wanted to get feedback about the UAE too. Some universities offer MA degrees (with real campuses) but they offer the online option as well. So the degree once you get it would not be any different from that attained by students on campus. It wouldn't mention anything about being online. Would these be fine for employers?

I checked out one particular uni I was interested in and I went to the UAE Ministry of Higher Education website and it was listed as an approved US Higher Education Institution...

Would this be fine?
musaafira

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just read this now on their site:

Online, Correspondence, Independent Study and Distance Learning degrees ARE NOT APPROVED by MOHESR and will NOT be certified.

Now I'm confused...
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thus far, online degrees have been accepted by the Ministry of HIGHER education, but not by the Ministry of Education.

So, if you are looking to teach university level, it shouldn't make any difference if it is online. If you want to teach primary or secondary, they won't recognize an online MA, so best to just get certified.

VS
123Loto

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone have the latest about this? I.e. has anyone used an online MA to gain employment in the UAE in 2012?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There has been no mention of any changes as yet...

VS
123Loto

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks VS, I'm looking forward to starting a distance MA at Leicester Uni in the UK in September. Is there a website I can double check the currently recognized degrees? I took a look at the MOHE website and emailed their HR department... but... still waiting for a reply...

...and alarmistlingly, a Lebanese colleague of mine swore black and blue that distance degrees were not recognized by the MOHE?! He was quite adamant??? Maybe I'll check with some guys at HCT this Thursday...
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know of many people who are at HCT with distance degrees... some did them while at HCT... one of them was just hired this year.

Sadly, I know of no list of accepted universities. (that would make it like... easy for us... wouldn't want that to happen...Rolling Eyes) It also gives on campus degrees right? The ones to avoid are those new places that just give online degrees and many of which have shady reputations.

VS
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

123Loto wrote:
I'm looking forward to starting a distance MA at Leicester Uni in the UK in September. Is there a website I can double check the currently recognized degrees? I took a look at the MOHE website and emailed their HR department... but... still waiting for a reply...

I doubt the HR department at the MoHE will be helpful (much less respond to you). Did you look at https://www.mohesr.gov.ae/en/institutes.aspx for the MoHE's list of recommended higher education institutions abroad and criteria for those institutions? There might be useful info for you. By the way, I hope you're aware that employers at the tertiary level are very likely to only count your post-grad degree teaching experience and not any of the time you taught prior to obtaining the degree.
123Loto

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
I know of many people who are at HCT with distance degrees... some did them while at HCT... one of them was just hired this year.

Sadly, I know of no list of accepted universities. (that would make it like... easy for us... wouldn't want that to happen...Rolling Eyes) It also gives on campus degrees right? The ones to avoid are those new places that just give online degrees and many of which have shady reputations.

VS

Yup, it's a bricks and mortar campus and this MA is also done onsite. Thanks for the reassurance VS!
123Loto

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
I doubt the HR department at the MoHE will be helpful (much less respond to you). Did you look at https://www.mohesr.gov.ae/en/institutes.aspx for the MoHE's list of recommended higher education institutions abroad and criteria for those institutions? There might be useful info for you. By the way, I hope you're aware that employers at the tertiary level are very likely to only count your post-grad degree teaching experience and not any of the time you taught prior to obtaining the degree.

Thanks for that Nomad, I'll take a look when I've got a minute. I'm aware of the worst case scenario for tertiary level employers looking at my quals... at the worst I'll have to wait 2 years after getting the MA. In the meantime I can pick up 14k per month work at a private primary school. The rules in the UAE are bendable, and I've been operating successfully at the "bendy end" for three years now. Smile
Keskaa

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know of several people who work at HCT with online degrees from regionally accredited universities. I also know that ADEC doesn't care if your degree is online or not as long as the university where you studied is accredited. Whatever they say the rules might be, they can be broken at any time!
Blackbear

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keskaa wrote:
.... Whatever they say the rules might be, they can be broken at any time!

From what I have been reading, this is the usual MO in the GCC, regardless of the country ...
abdi181

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:57 pm    Post subject: Greensboro Reply with quote

There is a MA Tesol at Greensboro college in North Carolina, the good thing about this program is that it can be taken online but it requires a 5 week summer residency study where you would go to NC. This way its a hybrid degree and not just online.

http://greensboro.edu/academics/programs/TESOL/index.cfm
Blackbear

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what have read, there are a number of universities that offer the same -exactly the same.
Someone mentioned LE in the same category - and less expenive as well, from my research ....
abdi181

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you know a "number" of uni that offer this then name them so b=people can benefit. Thats the whole point of this forum, and you didn't even explain what LE is for all we know it could mean anything.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: