Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Spanish courses in Bogota � any recommendations?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Colombia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
seagull74

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:02 pm    Post subject: Spanish courses in Bogota � any recommendations? Reply with quote

Hi. I'm doing a CELTA course later in the year and want to spend some time in Bogota first learning Spanish. I'm looking at going there in August and staying for 4 to 6 weeks. I've had a good look online and have seen there are quite a few places offering intensive Spanish lessons but I was just wondering if anybody can recommend a decent one?
spanglish

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might check out courses Nueva Lengua offers on the campus of La Universidad de La Sabana or you could look at courses offered by La Universidad Javeriana. Javeriana will probably be a bit pricier.

Far and away the best place for Spanish courses is La Universidad Nacional - best quality and best price. And I think one of their start times is in August.
seagull74

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, Spanglish. I've had a look on the La Universidad Nacional website but can't find the page about the course, even when I select the English-language version. Could you provide a link to the specific page for me, please?

Much appreciated.
spanglish

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.humanas.unal.edu.co/cms.php?id=812

They don't seem to be updating the site, so you'll probably need to go in there and talk to them.
seagull74

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great. Thanks.
Bisa Dong!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:53 am    Post subject: Spanish courses in Bogota Reply with quote

I thought I'd bump this thread as it's almost two years old. I'm interested in taking Spanish classes in Bogota and planning to spend 3-4 months in the summer studying full time. I'd appreciate your suggestions and recommendations. Thanks.
spanglish

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know nothing has changed. La Nacional is still your best bet by far. If you want smaller class sizes and a private university experience (more luxurious campus), Externado.
Bisa Dong!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:47 am    Post subject: Language schools? Reply with quote

Thanks, Spanglish. Any idea about private language schools like Nueva Lengua and Spanish World Institute? The university courses are fine but they are more expensive than the language schools and you have to pay for the whole course, instead of by the week at the language schools.
spanglish

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't comment on institutes, as I have no experience with them. I doubt though that they're cheaper than La Nacional. In 2010 La Nacional was 615.000 pesos for 80 class hours. My teacher there had her masters degree in Teaching Spanish as a Foreign Language and more than 10 years of experience. At La Nacional you pay for half-semester courses, which isn't too long. (edited for typos)

The private universities (EAFIT in Medellin, Uninorte in Barranquilla, La Javeriana and Externado in Bogota) will be triple the cost of La Nacional with smaller class sizes, but possibly a lower quality teacher and definitely not as cool of an experience. I had 12 students in my class at La Nacional; you can tell I'm a fan of the place.

Last edited by spanglish on Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bisa Dong!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:31 pm    Post subject: Expenses Reply with quote

Yeah, you're right. The language schools are asking for around USD900 for 80 hours, not including registration, books, etc. I notice that tuition for Spanish classes is more expensive in Colombia than in Spain but it is cheaper to live in Colombia. Would USD1,000 a month be enough for rent and living expenses in Bogota, excluding tuition for Spanish?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Colombia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: