Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone contacted about HCT jobs for this year?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Haloolah

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:27 pm    Post subject: Anyone contacted about HCT jobs for this year? Reply with quote

Hello all -

I know that QU and SQU have already contacted a few T's with job offers for August '12 - anyone know of HCT offers that have gone out?

Thanks -
rainbowprof

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no, but they just contacted me that I'm in the pool of candidates Very Happy
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rainbowprof wrote:
no, but they just contacted me that I'm in the pool of candidates Very Happy

Sort of good news... one can turn into a prune in that pool and never hear from them again. But... good luck! Hopefully one of the fearless leaders of one the better branches will like your CV.

VS
rainbowprof

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, I'm not holding my breath. KSA should be sending a confirmation letter soon that will begin the visa process from my end. I won't lodge it til November as we've agreed I will be available from January. SQU have listed me as a final candidate but are waiting for a teaching video which I've decided to shoot again. The first one showed me talking too much and I didn't write enough on the white board. In combinatiuon, it hardly showcases my grasp of best teacher practice:-) I'm not putting all my eggs in one basket.
You had a great start if you began at SQU fresh out of graduate school. That would have helped to upgrade your cv pretty quickly for a life in ME. Very Happy
When I finished my Masters I was picked up the following semester by my university and taught Indonesian language for a year at a rural coastal campus in Qld. I had a double major in TESOL and Indonesian. I played woodwind (flute and didjeridoo) in a band in my spare time. Oh to be young and care-free.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rainbowprof wrote:
You had a great start if you began at SQU fresh out of graduate school. That would have helped to upgrade your cv pretty quickly for a life in ME. Very Happy
When I finished my Masters I was picked up the following semester by my university and taught Indonesian language for a year at a rural coastal campus in Qld. I had a double major in TESOL and Indonesian. I played woodwind (flute and didjeridoo) in a band in my spare time. Oh to be young and care-free.

Excuse our hijacking your thread haloolah, but we don't seem to be getting much info as yet.

RP... I was no spring chicken when I completed my MA and was 40 years old when I arrived in Oman. (also my MA was done in Cairo at AUC... under a Fellowship that gave me 2 years of teaching Arabic speakers.) I may not have been young, but being single, I was pretty carefree. Cool

VS
Haloolah

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:43 am    Post subject: hijack away! Reply with quote

oh just hijack away!!! I'm sitting here doing paperwork for an interview with King Abdul Aziz in Jeddah - (yes they finally emailed me for an interview!) BUT rumor has it that they don't give educational allowance for dependents. Has anyone heard of that?

If that's so, I'm not even interviewing......

and here I sit.....
Haloolah

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:44 am    Post subject: tuition in Oman Reply with quote

rainbowprof -

I heard that Oman does not give its teachers (in general) an educational stipend for children - is this true? I've heard that most folks have to home school. The Int'l/American school in Muscat is gorgeous (with an equally as gorgeous price tag!!!) Do you know of the offerings?

Thanks! (not that I am applying there - just curious)
Haloolah

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:47 am    Post subject: KSA offer Reply with quote

and since we are Cafe-friends, can I ask where your offer is from in the Kingdom? I'd go to Jeddah - but other places....well....don't know about that.

Princess Noor in Riyadh is supposed to be hiring several hundred NS female teachers for September - they were interviewing at TESOL in Philly. Haven't heard from them yet either. They didn't have their offer, salary, etc. even confirmed so maybe they are going to be late in the game.
rainbowprof

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:04 am    Post subject: Re: tuition in Oman Reply with quote

Haloolah wrote:
rainbowprof -

I heard that Oman does not give its teachers (in general) an educational stipend for children - is this true? I've heard that most folks have to home school. The Int'l/American school in Muscat is gorgeous (with an equally as gorgeous price tag!!!) Do you know of the offerings?

Thanks! (not that I am applying there - just curious)

I heard SQU give a stipend but it doesn't cover a substantial portion of the fees at the British or American schools. Whether the English -medium Phillipino, Indian or Pakistani schools are suitable is open to speculation. Over 2 kids and it's hard to get ahead financially because of school fees, so I hear.
But back on track, Tatioman gave a fair offer but no educational supplement or fares for dependants. Unsuitable for my needs but nice to receive a firm offer and contract! They sent an offer almost overnight. Very eager. And they called my home the next day.
Haloolah

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:14 am    Post subject: wow Reply with quote

geesh! They called your HOUSE? Dang! I don't think that will ever
happen to me. Thanks for the info on the schools. Oman is out.

A friend of mine accepted an offer at SQU so I'll just visit her in Oman
(or you!) thanks again! Catch you in the sandbox.
rainbowprof

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep, called at home on a Saturday morning. Couldn't believe it. My kids were saying "who's speaking" and weren't used to the accent and the caller seemed confused. But definitely needed warm bodies asap.
Haloolah

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:23 am    Post subject: it's nice to be wanted... Reply with quote

it's nice to be wanted....very heartwarming....

someday my prince will come....(or call)

until then, just reading the TESOL job boards.....(yawn)
rainbowprof

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:33 am    Post subject: Re: it's nice to be wanted... Reply with quote

Haloolah wrote:
it's nice to be wanted....very heartwarming....

couldn't be more true.
lizziebennet

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I generally warn people in private but KAU has been giving really low ball offers for a few years now and a housing stipend that will get you nowhere. Also the boys section is a gongshow. Girls section is awsome though...

As far as I know they are still only offering about $3000 or $3200 even to people who have an MA Tesol. Everyone knows that Saudi Salaries have been going down over the last few years... I blame it on the recruiters bringing in teachers with unrelated BAs, a cheap TEFL certificate and a year's experience in Taiwan or Korea. Great starting place but if you have the credentials move elsewhere...

UAE seems to want an MA TESOL and a CELTA/Trinity or DELTA these days... Met a lot of teachers at TESOL Arabia with both qualifications.

Competition seems to be getting really stiff in most of the ESL world but not in small Omani towns in the middle of nowhere... That's why TATI are so quick to respond Smile
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: tuition in Oman Reply with quote

rainbowprof wrote:
I heard SQU give a stipend but it doesn't cover a substantial portion of the fees at the British or American schools. Whether the English -medium Phillipino, Indian or Pakistani schools are suitable is open to speculation. Over 2 kids and it's hard to get ahead financially because of school fees, so I hear.

SQU pays 1500 OR per child - up to 2 children. I couldn't say how much that covers of the various school costs. I suspect that there may be some private colleges that also pay something towards school fees, but haven't really checked it out.

VS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: