Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

getting a work visa in Georgia?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
real2104

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:20 am    Post subject: getting a work visa in Georgia? Reply with quote

Hey there.

I have a friend of mine in America (she's 23, half way through her BA but is taking a study break) who would love to teach in Georgia but doesn't want to do the volunteer program. So, do you think she qualified for a work visa so that she can find paid employment?

Also, she has a dog that she can't live without... is she able to bring him overseas when she teaches?
cks

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does she have a TEFL/CELTA. Does she have experience teaching? Most of the private schools or language schools still want someone with credentials, perhaps some might not-it will be a gamble. My friend who owns a language school will not hire anyone without a degree, experience, and certification-and many other schools hold the same values.

But my Swedish friend once walked into a school and managed to get a job. She has a degree and a year teaching conversational English and still got hired- but she declined due to an NGO offer. So I would assume that the lower end Mac schools might not care. I even tried to apply at a particular language school for extra hours and they said they only hire those who can speak Georgian. It seems that everyone wants something different. I say it is slim pickens unless she will do the TGL program. TGL program is hit or miss, some people have a great experience, others do not. She will have to be here on her tourist visa- which is for a good 360 days I believe. Yeah, she can bring her dog.
jooooooey

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I don�t think a work visa is real important, but I don�t know the technicalities. English was in big demand, I gave a lot of private lessons but it takes a while because I got them by word of mouth, especially if you don�t speak Georgian. There are teaching jobs there, but it�s just a lot easier to do the TLG thing, especially with the cost of a plane ticket.

I know someone who was married to a Georgian, and worked at a university in Tbilisi, but was applying to the TLG program because it paid better and was easier, the cost of living is real cheap in Georgia. But TLG was a pretty good program; if you get put somewhere that doesn�t work they�ll move you to another location, you just don�t get to choose where which seems to be people�s problem. I don�t know about the dog though.
golsa

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: getting a work visa in Georgia? Reply with quote

nick2124 wrote:
Hey there.

I have a friend of mine in America (she's 23, half way through her BA but is taking a study break) who would love to teach in Georgia but doesn't want to do the volunteer program. So, do you think she qualified for a work visa so that she can find paid employment?

Also, she has a dog that she can't live without... is she able to bring him overseas when she teaches?

Georgia recently abolished all visas. Your friend can legally come here and accept any kind of employment she wishes without a visa.
expatella_girl

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: getting a work visa in Georgia? Reply with quote

[quote="golsa"]
nick2124 wrote:

Georgia recently abolished all visas. Your friend can legally come here and accept any kind of employment she wishes without a visa.

Links? Of any kind regarding the abolition of Georgian visas? In any language.
Peg Leg Pete

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could be wrong, but as I understand it Georgia only abolished the visa regime for Russian citizens.

http://www.georgiatimes.info/en/news/72669.html
golsa

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: getting a work visa in Georgia? Reply with quote

[quote="expatella_girl"]
golsa wrote:
nick2124 wrote:

Links? Of any kind regarding the abolition of Georgian visas? In any language.

No links. I'm currently in Georgia without any kind of visa what so ever. My passport has an entry stamp, but nothing else. When I first came, N. Americans and EU citizens were allowed to stay for up to one year without a visa, but now we can stay in the country -- without restriction -- until we want to leave or the laws change.

Georgia does not require any kind of visa for citizens of any country.
Simply put, they people to come here and spend money and start businesses to employ Georgians. If you have money to spend or want to start a business in Georgia, the Georgians would be glad to have you in their country.
Peg Leg Pete

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:45 am    Post subject: Found the missing link Reply with quote

http://www.mfa.gov.ge/index.php?sec_id=96&lang_id=ENG

List at the bottom of countries which are visa free for a period of time. Hope it helps.
jamallo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be grateful for comments on the cost of living Tblisi - I realize this varies from person to person, so, to clarify my question, I work appreciate information about renting a clean, quite 1 bedroom furnished apartment (not luxury, not in the most expensive part of time) and the cost of other daily necessities. Also, is the Internet stable and reasonably fast and does Tblisi still suffer from constant blackouts? Lastly, is private health insurance available?
TIA

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah Georgia. . . I have a strange tale to tell from my visit there about ten years ago. I may go back, the country really has beautiful scenery, of which I missed most of it last time around.
jooooooey

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamallo wrote:
I would be grateful for comments on the cost of living Tblisi - I realize this varies from person to person, so, to clarify my question, I work appreciate information about renting a clean, quite 1 bedroom furnished apartment (not luxury, not in the most expensive part of time) and the cost of other daily necessities. Also, is the Internet stable and reasonably fast and does Tblisi still suffer from constant blackouts? Lastly, is private health insurance available?
TIA

I knew one person that rented a furnished luxury apartment (by Georgian standards) for $400 a month in Tbilisi. You should be able to find a furnished apartment for at least half that, but I don't know the prices, I lived in my friends apartment that his parents owned.

Internet is usually fast and stable in Tbilisi if you pay for it. There are blackouts from time to time, but didn't last very long when I lived there. I think it depends which part of town you live in too.

If you eat at nice restaurants, you can spend a bit of money. But we used to go to the neighborhood restaurants which had good food, and drink beer all night, and spend maybe $10 each. Buses cost almost nothing, most people didn't pay for them anyway, the subway was cheap and efficient. I don't remember the exact prices but it was cents, not dollars.
You can get insurance there.

Georgia's really cool, I miss the place.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: