Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Request For Advice On Moving To Italy

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sono_inglese

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:41 pm    Post subject: Request For Advice On Moving To Italy Reply with quote

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on moving over to Italy.

I�m an EU citizen (UK) and 28. I have a BA and I�m due to complete my CELTA at the end of May. My plan is to try and get summer school work in the UK and then move to Italy for the start of September.

From reading the forums it seems very difficult to get a job unless you are in the country, so my plan is to try and rent a room in a northern city (possibly Bologna) with enough money for 3 months and hand a copy of my CV to as many language schools as I can.

My experience is limited, my previous job was in management, but I have experience as a corporate trainer. I understand I will be lucky to start on the bottom rung, but I work hard and I�m prepared to put in the hours to establish myself in Italy.

Has anyone got any suggestions on where to start, or how to approach schools? I�m looking at rooms through bakeca.it at the moment, do you think Bologna is a decent option, or are there other areas I should be looking at?

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks everyone,
Teacher in Rome

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi @sono_inglese

I think your plan is sound and that you won't have too many problems finding work. You tick all the boxes - i.e. EU, degree, CELTA, some experience, a corporate background, positive attitude (!)

There was a recent post from someone living in Bologna, but I would imagine that for your first job in Italy, maybe Milan (or Rome) would also be good - just because there are more schools and opportunities. Both are slightly more expensive (assume at least �500 pcm for rent) and I imagine that salaries are also (slightly) higher. Don't assume you'll get a full contract from one school - you might have to cobble together hours here and hours there to make up a full timetable, but as you "prove yourself", you'll be able to pick up more work at one, for example.

The only other things I'd advise you to do to get a head start now:

- get familiar with business English textbooks. Market Leader (and to a certain extend In Company) are available in bookshops here, so are probably among the most commonly used. Have a look at others, too, for supplementary purposes. Italians tend to have the most difficulties with writing, listening and speaking English, so any materials you know which improve these skills will be useful.

- start learning a bit of Italian if you don't already know any. Not because it will be a deal-breaker, but because it will make your life much easier!

Good luck!
sono_inglese

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Teacher In Rome,

Thanks very much for your reply, I was hoping one of the forum regulars would get back to me!

I will definitely buy some textbooks, that�s a great idea. Are there any others you would suggest, I�ve been using �Cutting Edge� and �Total English� so far.

I�ve been learning Italian for about a year now so know the basics, I will keep practicing and hopefully keep learning in Italy.

I�ll have a think about the other cities, I know Milan has a large amount of schools. I hadn�t really been thinking about Rome because of the cost of living/travel, but the amount of English schools might make it worthwhile.

Lots to think about, thanks for your help!
Teacher in Rome

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cutting Edge is quite popular, as is Headway and English File (for younger learners). I often see Email English in the bookshops, a sea of TOEFL practice (though never come across anyone actually doing that exam) and a hodge podge of more ESP stuff. Bookshops tend to stock / order on demand, so the ELT sections are usually pitiful. If you're going to bring stuff over, business skills would be good, as would anything with the CDs already attached (listening / tel skills, for example). I recently ordered a few business type books (bus grammar / 5 min activities) via Amazon, but these can take a while to arrive.

I think Rome is a bit cheaper than Milan, though perhaps not on rent. You might find it easier to do business in Milan than in Rome (i.e. it's a much more nothern european city than Rome) and there may be more opportunities there. If you go outside Milan there are tons of commuter type towns, all with language schools, so providing you with a lot more scope for work. Life is more exciting in Rome though (in my opinion, which is obviously personal). Why not spend a week in each before making a decision? You're unlikely to get much work before mid-September so you could scope out a few places, then decide on the basis of that.
sono_inglese

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Thanks, that�s really good advice.

I will look into stocking up on some useful textbooks before I go so that I�ve got some sources on hand for listening/speaking/writing exercises. I�ll keep checking room prices and have a think about which city I choose.

I�d love to live in Rome if it�s possible, but if I can establish myself anywhere I�ll be happy!

Thanks again!
Bladnoch

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Far be it from me to suggest or condone any activity which might be considered in any way illegal but have you considered trawling the internet for resources? I have been made aware (very passively) that all the resources a teacher could ever need are available on newsgroups (alt.binaries.books for example) or emule etc. with the added advantage that electronic material is easy to transport for a vagrant teacher.
sono_inglese

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips Bladnoch, I think I will buy them anyway, I like to have physical copies of things. But I take your point about trying to transport them with me!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Italy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: