Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Will getting permanent residency get harder from 2012?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
G Cthulhu

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not aiming for a debate, rooster. If you're reading that into it then you're reading your own emotions based on past discussions, sorry. I'm am, literally, simply presenting the counterpoint to your constant statements of "What if it's worse?" with the obvious response of "What if it isn't?" As I've said, we shall simply have to wait and see.

The rest of my post is very relevant in my opinion: you have several times said things along the lines of "Japan shouldn't do X" and "The MOJ shouldn't say Y." I'm looking for a reason why you would say that because, as I explicitly said, they very much have the right to do pretty much as they please. We know that you don't like it and don't think they should do X or Y: you've said that several times now. But the one thing you haven't done is actually present an argument why "they shouldn't."

Moreover, bringing in the example of the US is there specifically for context and contrast. It's a normal thing in discussion. The discussion, I thought, was about PR regime changes in Japan. We know that you don't like the upcoming changes. I was simply pointing out that (regardless of the change qua change) the new regs are still going to be far less unreasonable than some other countries. Is context actually unreasonable when considering degree of response?! Why did I choose the US? Because I happen to know those regs inside out and they're familiar to many other readers here. I could have chosen the EU regs or Australasian regs, but they'd be less familiar to most people reading.
Glenski

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My feelings are this (and Rooster, you know them from before):

What if it's worse?
You have no control over that, now or then.

What if it's no different?
You have no control over that, now or then.

All I can tell you is to be patient.

Last edited by Glenski on Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:31 am; edited 1 time in total
therock

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not start worrying about this after living in Japan for 7 or 8 years? By that time you might've changed your feeling about wanting to live in Japan permanently or you might even be married to a local. I think being married with a local cuts down the 10 year residency requirement to 5 years.
Rooster_2006

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay guys, I'm starting to get bogged down on Dave's ESL Cafe again.

I think this issue is important and that people are underestimating its importance.

However, even I acknowledge that obsessing over it everyday will drive me crazy and is a waste of time.

Therefore, I'm going to limit myself to obsessing about it once a month. See you on May 25 when I stop by this thread again and give it a bump!
HLJHLJ

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A hypothetical question about residency: I currently have a dependent visa with permission to work (engage in blah blah). My husband has a work visa. If we decided to settle in Japan and were able to get residency after 10 years, (and assuming there were no major changes in the meantime), would my residency still be as a dependent? In other words, if something happened to my husband, would my residency be revoked?
Glenski

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you yourself get PR, it cannot be revoked just because you lose a spouse to divorce or death. It is not dependent on being married to the spouse. If you have a dependent visa connected to a PR holder, that is different, though.

Rooster_2006 wrote:
I think this issue is important and that people are underestimating its importance.

However, even I acknowledge that obsessing over it everyday will drive me crazy and is a waste of time.
I don't agree that people are underestimating the importance of the issue, Rooster. In my case, and I think I speak for many others, we simply acknowledge the fact that there is no more available information to help explain things either way. Yes, it is frustrating, but please try to recognize that.

I think your latter point above is the best thing you can do.
TokyoLiz

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[Deleted - wrwong thread]

Last edited by TokyoLiz on Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:01 am; edited 1 time in total
G Cthulhu

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TokyoLiz wrote:
Woah. I take it all back.

The JET Program will accept applicants that have medical needs, and places them near medical facilities they need. That is to say, they accommodate physical health conditions. Maybe a recent JET can confirm that the program asks that you be in good psychological health.

JET places you in junior high schools, with some elementary school lessons. You have to work with children.

I wouldn't recommend Japan teaching if you don't have independent living experience or work experience.

To complicate matters, JET places ALTs in rural areas, far from facilities that can serve you in English.

My own job has me orienting new ALTs. Some of them are not work-ready, and are a headache for their schools.

Some of them haven't lived independently and disregard bills. Some disregard typical household routines - recycling, airing futons, etc.

If you have Japanese friends here who can support you (homestay, translation, etc) it might be safer for you.

I think you may have missed your target thread.... Smile
Rooster_2006

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BUMP

July 9, 2012 has come and gone. The new immigration laws are now in effect.

I'd love to hear the stories of people who have applied for permanent residency (永住権) since 2012/7/9

Thanks.
Cool Teacher

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rooster_2006 wrote:
BUMP

I'd love to hear the stories of people who have applied for permanent residency (永住権) since 2012/7/9

Thanks.

How long have you been in Japan Roost? Cool

Are you married? (sorry if thats personal!) Shocked
Rooster_2006

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Teacher wrote:
Rooster_2006 wrote:
BUMP

Thanks.

I don't feel that this information is relevant to the topic of this thread.
OneJoelFifty

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Partly relevant to this, I'm about to go and pick up my renewed visa and resident's card tomorrow. I asked for a five-year extension, though I imagine I'll get three.

Anyone else renewed since the new laws came into effect?
OneJoelFifty

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a three-year extension. I applied for five. Although I have a contract for a year, my company said on the form that I was contracted until 2015.

The new visa is combined with the new resident's card.
Rooster_2006

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OneJoelFifty wrote:
I got a three-year extension. I applied for five. Although I have a contract for a year, my company said on the form that I was contracted until 2015.

The new visa is combined with the new resident's card.

That sucks that you only got three years. However, I will mention that I called several immigration offices, and they said that at least for now, a three-year period of stay is still okay for PR applications (though when I asked if that will continue to be the policy in the future, they said they didn't know). As long as it stays the way it is right now, a five-year period of stay should be entirely unnecessary for getting to the PR application stage.

However, just out of curiosity (because I'd like to start figuring out what kind of people get five-year extensions):
- How long have you lived/worked in Japan (and how long have your previous extensions been)?
- Is your organization large or small?
- What's the highest level of education you've completed?
- What is your approximate yearly income?
- Do you speak Japanese? Did you submit a JLPT certificate with your visa extension application?
- Is there anything else that you think should have helped your case, or anything that you feel may have hurt your case for a five-year extension?

Sorry if those questions sound nosy, and if any of them make you feel uncomfortable, feel free not to answer those particular questions that make you feel uncomfortable. I'm just trying to figure out who is getting these things. Only Fortune 500 CEOs and tenured professors?
G Cthulhu

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rooster_2006 wrote:
Cool Teacher wrote:

I don't feel that this information is relevant to the topic of this thread.

Oh, the irony of it all. Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: