Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Seeking advice on ME job

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kb8

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:49 am    Post subject: Seeking advice on ME job Reply with quote

I am wondering if those experienced in ME teaching can advise me. My background is:
Native English speaker, U.S. citizen
MEd with TESOL endorsement (soon to graduate)
potential CELTA certification
volunteer ESL teaching experience
little classroom experience
female
single

I would like to teach in a college setting.
- For what opportunities do you think I would qualify?
- Will it be difficult finding jobs being a single female?
I have read some previous posts about being hired by recruiters v. direct hire.
- Can you tell me if jobs advertised on this site for the ME are done so by recruiters?
- What are some good ways of finding out about direct hire jobs?
- How can I know if an advertisement/posting has been done directly or by a recruiter?

Any assistance given would be greatly appreciated. It is quite difficult to know how to best go about finding a job in another country.

Thank you.
helenl

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most decent tertiary schools require 3+ years post grad experience with a related Master's program - and they get it.

Except for ADEC (not college/uni anyways) most hire directly via an on line application system.

Single female will generally only remove you from military contracts and in Saudi, many male educational institutions (coed is not in the Saudi vocabulary and is hard to find elsewhere in the GCC - but other countries will hire females to teach in male institutions)

If you search the forums here, you will probably find a few more specific answers to your questions.

You can also google GCC colleges and universities to find their websites.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Seeking advice on ME job Reply with quote

Helenl is correct. If you look at any of the job ads for the ME, you'll see your qualifications aren't enough. Even with a newly-minted MEd, your lack of paid TEFL experience is the bigger issue. (Volunteer experience doesn't count.) There's a small chance you might get a job in Saudi Arabia; however, that's very likely to be with a recruiting agency and not as a direct hire. And I'm sure you've read enough about teaching via recruiters to know that's not an ideal situation to be in.

I don't know why you're looking at this region for your first TEFL job, but you really should consider attaining your first years of teaching experience in Asia, where you can get hired with only a masters degree, the pay is decent, and the living is less challenging than in the conservative ME.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: