Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

General local hire

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blu141

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:02 pm    Post subject: General local hire Reply with quote

Has anyone ever gone through the path of relocating to the UAE (or elsewhere in the middle east) to accept a local hire job offer? What type of salary packages are usually given through local hire?

Many thanks!
Gulezar

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:11 pm    Post subject: Local hire Reply with quote

If you are in the UAE as a tourist, you should not be working. There are places that will hire under the table, but there are no benefits and you would have to run across the border to renew your tourist visa every three months.

If you are sponsored by a spouse and have a residence visa you can work, and that would be a local hire. Normally, those jobs pay less and do not offer a full benefit package.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the Gulf, a single person can't survive on "local hire" pay packages. The cost of living is way too high. (this is a problem in addition to the inability to get a work visa - which actually makes this almost moot.)

This can be done in North Africa and the Levant... or rather could be more easily done before the Arab Spring and its levels of instability. One would likely need/want to supplement one's income with private lessons as pay is so low there.

Morocco?

VS
blu141

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Local hire Reply with quote

Gulezar wrote:
If you are in the UAE as a tourist, you should not be working. There are places that will hire under the table, but there are no benefits and you would have to run across the border to renew your tourist visa every three months.

If you are sponsored by a spouse and have a residence visa you can work, and that would be a local hire. Normally, those jobs pay less and do not offer a full benefit package.

What if you enter the UAE on a tourist visa and you are offered a job through an institution, are they able to process a residency visa for you?
helenl

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Short answer is yes. I don't know anyone who has done it on a speculation basis though, (coming on a tourist visa and then changing to a work visa). The people who I know are here on a spouse's visa so they're in country anyways.

That's not to say it can't be done - maybe I don't move in the right circles?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While it may be possible, it isn't a realistic option. Like Helen1, I have never heard of anyone doing it.

But if you decide to try it, be sure to have a few thousand dollars in the bank and a paid round-trip-ticket before you come. When one rents a flat, you pay many months of rent up front and rent is very expensive.

VS
blu141

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your responses,

Personally it sounds doable and realistic for me as even though I will be going as a single person I have the accommodation side sorted (I will be staying with a relative) My main worry is that I may not be able to find an employer willing to sponsor me on a residency permit/working visa once I am offered a job. I do not intend to work on a tourist visa but if I am offered a job whilst searching for one then I'd want for an employer to aid me with a proper visa status.

I've liaised with two employers who are willing to hire me, but I haven't plucked the courage to ask them if they'll sponsor me. It's still early days! Rolling Eyes
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blu141 wrote:
I've liaised with two employers who are willing to hire me, but I haven't plucked the courage to ask them if they'll sponsor me.

This should be one of your first questions. I think that you are going to find that the answer will almost always be in the negative. Since you say that you won't work illegally, no sense wasting your time (or theirs) if none of them will make you legal.

VS
blu141

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
blu141 wrote:
I've liaised with two employers who are willing to hire me, but I haven't plucked the courage to ask them if they'll sponsor me.

This should be one of your first questions. I think that you are going to find that the answer will almost always be in the negative. Since you say that you won't work illegally, no sense wasting your time (or theirs) if none of them will make you legal.

VS

I see what you mean, I guess I'll have to get this clarified before I secure a job over there. I know that there are other people who have had a work visa issued to them but the requirement was that they had to go home and wait for the paperwork to be completed from there.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That makes sense... in a Middle East sort of way. Laughing Thus, they became "foreign hires" and went through the normal process for a work visa. I don't know this for a fact, but I suspect that it may be a rule/law of some sort.

VS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: