Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is Emirates National School still that BAD?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
calexander

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:32 pm    Post subject: Is Emirates National School still that BAD? Reply with quote

I have just had a telephone interview with Emirates National School Abu Dhabi for an Art Teacher position. The interviewer seemed professional and very positive, and conducted a rigorous hour-long interview. I've read nothing positive whatsoever about ENS- and franky hedious, terrifying things. It seems most reviews are a year or two old, and they have since created a new boy's campus and new teacher's accommodation. I am curious to know if things have improved?

I also have an offer from ACA Kuwait. If offered both positions, what is the best overall choice?

Thank you.
USAMATHMAN

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:12 pm    Post subject: ENS Reply with quote

Hey there,

I was in the same boat as you a couple of months ago. Interviewed and was offered a position with ENS. But grew hesistant after reading all of the negative comments about administration and student behavior. I have yet to find one thread written by a teacher who was happy with them. Tough decision to make. For me, no amount of $$$ can replace working in a terrible school. Did it for 3 years and don't ever plan to do it again.

Best of luck.

USA
republocrat

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:54 pm    Post subject: ENS Reply with quote

My contacts inform me that the ENS in AD and AA are quite similar in that they both have Arab management and are awful places to work at. In other words, they are both to be avoided, if you value your sanity and principles.

BTW, you won't find any ENS staff posting here because they have been threatened with instant dismissal. This is clearly the mark of a desperate and despotic management - I mean, they would NOT embargo their teachers writing about the school if they were confident that they would write positive things, would they!
calexander

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mathman.

I'm of the same mind regarding terrible schools, although my experience included terrible salaries as well, and do not want to repeat that experience.

I cannot find a review that is not over one year old. Surely there hasn't been a major turn-around within the past year?

From what I gather Abu Dhabi is preferable to Kuwait City in terms of lifestyle, etc. So I was hoping to find employment at a decent school there.

Do you mind sharing the offer ENS presented to you? Curious about the amount of $$$ they lure unsuspecting teachers with! Pvt me if you like.

Thanks
calexander

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Republocrat,

Well that explains why I can't find any up to date reviews of the schools. Althought it seems with 80% staff turnover we would hear more alumni of ENS venting after their dismissals.

BTW: Do your contacts have big "Wasta"?
BrownSauce

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A former colleague of mine set up this website before departing the hallowed halls of ENS...

http://ensabudhabi.blogspot.co.uk/

I can't say if things have improved during the intervening four years or so, but I doubt it. And if, as the poster above has claimed, 80% of teachers quit each year, than I would doubt it to the Nth degree!

Just remember - YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!
calexander

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. I think I have read enough. The money is not worth the misery inflicted.
I received an e-mail from the school requesting copies of my State Certification, after I specifically told the recruitment agency that I do not possess cert. and they said it would not be a problem.

BTW: Anyone know anything about ACA Kuwait? I posted on the Kuwait board but no replies..

Thanks!
almondeyed

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 1:15 pm    Post subject: ENS Reply with quote

I have spoken to someone who just left last year. The girl worked at the MBZ campus, and said that things actually were improving. Very Happy

I would say that ENS likely has many of the same issues that ALL Middle Eastern schools have... I also think how well you do depends on where you were teaching before. Are you coming from a private school that has been well established?

One thing to remember is that this is a new school, and with that comes building culture and adding on grades. I am not saying this to sway anyone's decision to work there or not work there, I just think we need to realize that our differing experiences determine our ability to handle situations in these schools.

Me personally? I teach at a school that has 90% on free and reduced lunch, and has only been established for two years. The lack of systems that stem from this have made more than 70% of the teaching staff leave over the past two years, but I know we're building something great and it's worth the stay.

Cheers,

Rana
calexander

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rana, I appreciate your input. Can you describe some specifics of how things are improving at ENS?

Thanks!
almondeyed

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calexander,

PM me if you would like to discuss in more depth. I'd be happy to share with you some more info. I tried to PM you but it did not allow for me to do so (I'm newer to this community).
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to have 5 posts before you can do private messages.

VS
calexander

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The legend has spoken. Very Happy I'm honoured!

Shukron VS.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

afwan ya calexander...

I don't know these two schools, so I couldn't help you out on them... Cool The only person that I know who taught at ENS had a terrible experience with them, but it was too many years ago to be helpful... and you likely already searched it up.

VS
secretsquirrel

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This place is a man-made disaster, and is actually getting worse...

http://www.desertspeak.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=462&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&sid=730315c21c94d8c0835946edf1ef8b0a&start=50

A complete no-brainer, this place - AVOID!!
calexander

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Point well taken secretsquirrel. By now I am familar with these horror stories.
Update: I had a follow-up interview with the very polite Principle of the boy's campus ENS. I mentioned that I've read negative things, and he assured me this is no longer the case, naturally. I wonder how a quaint old Englishman maintains in such a toxic environment?
I am curious to see what the offer is..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: