Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Questions re Visa for Dependents Over 18
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Saabirah

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To Veiled Sentiments:

I didn�t imply nor state that we are a �couple�, and that there would be no problem for us to travel across the border. I was just sharing who made the trip to Kuwait from UAE. Your point was well taken the first time. And, actually, I didn�t say it was just three of us. I do have a sixteen year old son as well.

To Iamherebecause:

Wow! Every thirty days! I didn�t realize it was that often. I thought maybe every three to six months. Thanks for the info.
Iamherebecause

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well with the grace period you can push it a bit further but as soon as the non-resident overstays there's a fine. You have to queue and then pay to leave the UAE by land. Fill in forms, queue and pay (no cash only cards) to enter Oman. Then get stamped out of Oman. And then get stamped back into the UAE. It's a cumbersome process - best not to do it on a Thursday or Saturday. see if you are able to get residence visas for your daughters if they are studying, but expect to have to cover their health insurance.
Saabirah

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your helpful input. Smile
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saabirah wrote:
To Veiled Sentiments:

I didn�t imply nor state that we are a �couple�, and that there would be no problem for us to travel across the border. I was just sharing who made the trip to Kuwait from UAE. Your point was well taken the first time. And, actually, I didn�t say it was just three of us. I do have a sixteen year old son as well.

If you re-read my post, it didn't say that you implied that you were a couple, but that you had implied that you were not. Laughing Having a son won't help you get that elusive Saudi visa needed to drive to Kuwait - not that you implied that either.

I tried to get permission to drive my car from Kuwait to Oman some years back... it was rather met with laughter that I even thought of trying it as a single woman. It ended up having to go in a container by boat.

The visa runs tend to get old pretty fast. I still suggest that you confer with your future employers and/or the UAE embassy as to the feasibility of getting residence visas for your unmarried daughters over 18.

VS
tefllifer

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello

My 2 cents below:

As I understand it and according to a recent contract I held ...

You could get a residence visas for all 3 of your offspring:
Son - enrolled at school and school fees paid by the institution
Daughters - unmarried and not working (maybe best not to mention online studies)
Air tickets and health insurance for all

If you had to do visa runs, then yes, every 30 days, over to Oman is easiest and cheapest.

Hopefully you are not Canadian as then it gets complicated and expensive.

Laws re exit-re-entry and etc can change any time as can visa fees.

Good luck.
Saabirah

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I'm American. Thanks, Tefllifer.
Eisenhorn

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I had been informed of is that if the child is over 18 and MALE, they needed to get their own separate residence visa, unless they were attending university in the UAE (or are a student in an online university), then they could be your dependent until (I THINK) they are 23.

If the child is female and unmarried she can get a dependent visa for longer (as i don't have a daughter that age, I don't remember the exact age). Whether they are in school or not doesn't matter (IIRC and I could be wrong)
Saabirah

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's good to know. I'll check into it further. Thanks. Smile
Gulezar

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please let us know. I would be willing to bet that daughters are dependents until they are married.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would certainly be true as relates to Muslims, but they don't always follow the religious traditions as relates to non-Muslim expats. As I said from the start. This is something that needs to be queried to the employer and/or the UAE Embassy. (rather than a bunch of EFL teachers who may have varying experiences)

Although if either says no, one may very well be able to negotiate it based on the local tradition.

VS
DesertStar

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Immigration/residency visa rules apply to all, muslim and non-muslim expats. Unmarried daughters get residency visa till married or if they choose to be sponsored thru own employer in the future.

Most employers in the public sector, if not all, do not extend any other benefits to dependents over the age of 18 yrs (male or female). Which means no medical, no annual tickets, no educational allowance, etc. Unless you're negotiating a special contract with a special employer of some sort, don't even think about getting the standard 'under 18' benefits package. Been there, done that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: