Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dust Allergies - Where is it good and bad in the ME?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dazzer64

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 11:42 am    Post subject: Dust Allergies - Where is it good and bad in the ME? Reply with quote

Ok, I know you are chuckling at this one, stay with me.

Since my wife has a dust allergy and we want to move to a Gulf country, where would it be unwise to go and where would it be survivable?

Yes, you are laughing now, I get it.

My wife is a Turkish/Canadian national and we have been in the ME for six years. I have lived in Oman, UAE, Bahrain and in Saudi so I KNOW how it is. But am I missing a city that would be ok?? Something on the coast for example, like Jeddah? I have been searching and not sure what place - drawing a blank.

What better place to ask then this community. You have it covered.

When I was in Jubail recently I frightened wifey with tales of dust storms. Where in Saudi would the atmosphere not cause her to cough up a lung and feel ill all the time?

She will probably wear a mask and use air purifiers in the house. As for work, who knows.

She is moderate in her suffering, but cleaner is better.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say that dust is unavoidable... being surrounded by desert makes it rather inevitable. The infamous dust storms happen in all of the Gulf and are a part of spring weather - but, as you know, they don't happen all that often. Theoretically, the coastal cities should be better than interior cities just because of the humidity.

VS
millie18

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say Qatar is not worth considering as the colour of the sky there is best described as beige for 11 months of the year.
Gulezar

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 9:28 am    Post subject: Jubail Reply with quote

I would imagine that Jubail is still pumping the beautiful orange pollution into the desert skies from the petrochemical plants; ghastly, poisonous stuff.

How about Dhofar University in Salalah, Sultanate of Oman?
bulgogiboy

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
I'd say that dust is unavoidable... being surrounded by desert makes it rather inevitable. The infamous dust storms happen in all of the Gulf and are a part of spring weather - but, as you know, they don't happen all that often. Theoretically, the coastal cities should be better than interior cities just because of the humidity.

VS

But in reality, as I'm sure VS is aware, they can be as bad as any other Gulf city. I stayed in Jazan in KSA (a perpetually humid coastal city) for a while, and dust was a constant issue. We only had a couple of sandstorms, but the day-to-day dust levels were ridiculous. Similarly, Doha, although not as bad as Jazan, is coastal, humid and pretty dusty.

If you really care about your wife's wellbeing, and happiness, I strongly suggest you don't bring her to the Gulf.
justcolleen

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't speak for the rest of the region, but here in Egypt it seems we had a sand storm once a week, most often on a Tuesday, throughout most of the winter.

Of course, now that there's not much of a government, the dust situation has been exacerbated because of the non-stop construction of apartments as there's nobody enforcing building regulations.

Worse than normal this year, I'd say.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

justcolleen wrote:
I can't speak for the rest of the region, but here in Egypt it seems we had a sand storm once a week, most often on a Tuesday, throughout most of the winter.

Of course, now that there's not much of a government, the dust situation has been exacerbated because of the non-stop construction of apartments as there's nobody enforcing building regulations.

Worse than normal this year, I'd say.

In the three years straight that I lived in Egypt, we had only one or two a year. I was wearing hard contact lenses at the time, so they did leave an impression. Cool And they were only in "spring" - "Khamseen/50" days in April/May. Climate change strikes again.

Your comment on construction was interesting as I just read Edward Sims' book "Understanding Cairo." You mean that anyone ever enforced the building regulations? What a concept!! Half of Greater Cairo was build in violation of the regulations. Laughing

But... we digress...

VS
justcolleen

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:

Your comment on construction was interesting as I just read Edward Sims' book "Understanding Cairo." You mean that anyone ever enforced the building regulations? What a concept!! Half of Greater Cairo was build in violation of the regulations. Laughing

But... we digress...

VS

On some level, sure they did - building permits, design approval, structural integrity, and so on.

Not now.

Oh, buddy, not now. There's been a building spree and in a big way. I'm pretty sure Egypt's housing crisis will be solved by the time there's a stable government in place.

And, yeah, it's been dustier than usual.

Side note: I read that only about 10% of all construction is registered anyway. Maybe that will change, too. Shocked
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you read Sims' book? (AUC Press) There is no housing crisis (in Cairo) in reality because there are so many empty buildings and flats ... thousands and thousands and thousands of completed flats sit empty (many of them even within the original city/close in suburbs). But, of course, almost none of them are being built where the people want to live - and most are too expensive for the large lower income group. And the system of flat disbursal is pretty much culturally unacceptable. (a lottery system that doesn't allow families to live near each other) All the fault of the government policies too. It is like they don't even understand their own people.

VS
justcolleen

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I haven't read it, however I do agree that the system isn't exactly user-friendly.

That's okay, though, because the closer Egypt gets to a fixed government, the more likely it is those heaps of bricks in the air will sell - cheaply and quickly.

There's an article in the Cairo Observer about this topic; you might find it interesting.

http://cairobserver.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: