Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Poland Hiring and Start Dates
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TravelTeacher83

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 1:47 am    Post subject: Poland Hiring and Start Dates Reply with quote

Hello!

I'm scheduled to be in Poland in October 2012 for the CELTA and would like to ideally stay and teach there for a year or more upon successful completion of the certificate. I'm willing to go anywhere in the country whether it be a small or large city or town. I have 2 years ESL teaching experience in Korea along with 2 years teaching non-ESL back in the States, and will soon have TESOL certification. I just have a couple questions.

1) When do most schools do their hiring and when do most jobs start? I need to attend a wedding back in the US on 12/29 and I'm trying to figure out the timetable.

2) I'm a US citizen so what are my chances of actually finding a job at a school there?

Thanks for the responses!
hrvatski

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi presumably 28-9 year old travelling teacher.

I encourage you to sift through the posts in this forum as you will find the answers you seek. You may also come across a number of posts by jaded old men who feel that Poland is a destitute black hole which will steal years from your life and give nothing in return, but pay no attention to them.

As it is raining outside, I will answer your questions anyway:
Semester 1 starts in October - you will be entering the workforce in November when schools have already hired and lessons are under way. Entering teaching in November will mean taking bits and pieces of work in various schools, and perhaps private lessons to sustain yourself - this is not desirable. I strongly suggest doing your CELTA in July/August if you can.

Schools can start hiring July or even earlier if they are really motivated, though the hiring season would peak around August / early September.

It is easier for schools to employ teachers from the UK and Ireland than the US, Australia, South Africa, New Zealand or say, Micronesia. That said, plenty of Americans do get work in in Poland, perhaps because the British and Irish are often drunken vagabonds.
spiral78

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth, I'll add that trying to start work in November is a bad idea for the whole region (meaning all of Central/Eastern Europe - you can't work in the West as a US citizen anyway, but their hiring season is the same as well).

As in Poland, in the rest of the region most hiring is done in August/September and most job contracts are for Sept/Oct through June. Trying to find something in November MAY be do-able, but it'll be tough.
I do recall quite a few US and Canadian newbies over the past couple of years who were unsuccessful trying to find work in this time frame. Their 90 days ran out and they were forced by circumstances to go home, basically.

As a US citizen, you will need to apply for a work visa within 90 days of landing in the Schengen zone (google if you're not familiar - it's important!). This means you would be best off to maximise your chances by timing your CELTA for August, ideally.

The whole region is a pretty competitive job market - it's not by any means equivalent to Korea in any way, from students, to schools, to wages, to how jobs are found.....in fact, you are likely to find that employers aren't particularly impressed by your pre-CELTA experience.

Maximise your chances of success by re-arranging your timeframe.
TravelTeacher83

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My ideal was to do the CELTA in August or September but I'm currently still in Korea and contracted until late August so October was the next available time to do the the CELTA.

Thanks for the responses! It seems like the timing is not on my side with this one but maybe something can happen.

One more thing though...assuming I'm unable to find work in the country or general region and need to return to the US, what are the chances of being able to land a job there via Internet postings or will I need to fly back to Poland/region around the main hiring times and start hitting the pavement? Thanks!
spiral78

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a competitive job market and most reputable schools simply don't need to take a chance on someone sight-unseen; there are lots of teachers around ready to interview in person. It's pretty rare to find work (again speaking for the region) from abroad; employers offering work to potential teachers at a distance tend to be either very small rural schools, schools with a bad rep with local teachers (pay issues, usually) - or scammers.

Basically, your chances of finding something from the US are slim.
simon_porter00

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not all doom and gloom - if you go to Warsaw you'll quickly build up a lot of business one to ones with a school. I would think you'll get a full timetable within a month.
spiral78

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How would that work with getting a work permit? I think in the Czech Rep, where I'm more familiar with the rules, this would make things pretty difficult, requiring a zivnotensky list - pretty expensive and difficult to set up in conjunction with getting a visa.
sparks

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It works quite easily and cheaply in Poland. You take your American passport and zameldowania (card which shows you have a place to live). You tell them you want to open a business and fill out some papers and pay probably 17 zl or a little more. After a couple of weeks they give you a Regon number on a fancy piece of paper. With this you go to the Urzad Skarbowy (tax office) and tell them you want to open a business. You will also need a NIP (tax id number), which you can get there as well. Then to ZUS (social security). You will need a PESEL nr. which you can get there as well. After having these things you can go fill out the forms to get your residency card. You may have to have copies of bank statements, paid bills from your apartment, all of your new "business" documents, eye of newt, a small bottle of gypsy tears, etc. Really any piece of paper which may in some way show that you live in Poland. Then you wait for about a month and can come back and pick up you card. It shouldn't cost more than a couple hundred zl. in sum.
simon_porter00

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
How would that work with getting a work permit? I think in the Czech Rep, where I'm more familiar with the rules, this would make things pretty difficult, requiring a zivnotensky list - pretty expensive and difficult to set up in conjunction with getting a visa.

As regards getting a work visa doing business one to ones in Warsaw - simple. You work for a school, they get you a work visa, they send you out on business one to ones.

Schools have plenty of experience in taking the rules to their limits by using any number of excuses to get a work visa for company classes.

The business teaching timetable has no limits in Warsaw (with the possible exception of the summer) and so you can easily find 24 hours of work (more if you wish) working for a school in companies. If the school want to hire you to do that, they'll sort out a visa. Whether you have to pay for it or not is a different story.

Quote:
t works quite easily and cheaply in Poland. You take your American passport and zameldowania (card which shows you have a place to live). You tell them you want to open a business and fill out some papers and pay probably 17 zl or a little more. After a couple of weeks they give you a Regon number on a fancy piece of paper. With this you go to the Urzad Skarbowy (tax office) and tell them you want to open a business. You will also need a NIP (tax id number), which you can get there as well. Then to ZUS (social security). You will need a PESEL nr. which you can get there as well. After having these things you can go fill out the forms to get your residency card. You may have to have copies of bank statements, paid bills from your apartment, all of your new "business" documents, eye of newt, a small bottle of gypsy tears, etc. Really any piece of paper which may in some way show that you live in Poland. Then you wait for about a month and can come back and pick up you card. It shouldn't cost more than a couple hundred zl. in sum.

We've been through this before and this information is wrong and dangerously misleading. You CANNOT give yourself a work visa when starting up an entrepreneurship. You still HAVE to get a school to sponsor this UNLESS you work for a school which has is on the government list which. (The details for which I forget, but I'm sure a search of the forum will turn it up.)

In the past it might have been possible to do this, but not now.
sparks

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the last I'll post on this because it really makes no difference to me and I won't argue on the internet. Americans can do this, as has always been the case, because of an agreement between Poland and America. Just the papers for the dzialnosc, and proof that you have a place of residence and pay your bills. You do not need a work permit from a school. They may ask to see a contract from a school that says you earn enough money to live, but that is all. You may have to write to the Urzad praca for proof of this as the people at Dluga 5 may not know this (although to their credit they have been getting a bit more efficient over the past few years.) The point is with the dzialnosc you don't need a work visa to legally stay in Poland, as you can be issued a residency card without a work permit.
wojbrian

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Technically, you need your work stamp in your passport before you go.

I have never found a way around this...
dynow

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="simon_porter00"]
Quote:

In the past it might have been possible to do this, but not now.

when did this change, because it's exactly how i was there living and working legally for 4 years. i even petitioned for my wife at the embassy in Poland to bring her to the USA through marriage, they reviewed all my documentation up and down, backwards and sideways....not a drip.

I left in January 2011, 16 months ago, and I never received a call from any government offices saying, "Sir, your residency and work status is no longer valid, you need to arrange a work permit with your employer."

Are you saying I would have received that phone call later on in the year? 3 months later? 6 months later? When did this change occur that you speak of?
simon_porter00

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know. What I do know is the following:
1 - Everyone who is American that I work with have not been able to do it.
2 - Master shake and wojbrian haven't been able to do it and they're in Poland now.
3 - You cannot expect every change in regulations to be applied retrospectively so this argument "when was I to get my phonecall?" is nonsense.

In any case, this will all be cleared up soon as this summer I'll be contacting people to find a definitive answer for my website.
dynow

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simon_porter00 wrote:
You cannot expect every change in regulations to be applied retrospectively so this argument "when was I to get my phonecall?" is nonsense.

the earliest account of this in my personal experience was in 2009 in the fall, an American came to work at my school and did it the way I did, no probs. would they have grandfathered me if things had changed while I was there? maybe. but part of me still feels pretty confident that i could move to poland tomrorow, do the same thing all over again, and be holding a new karta pubytu in about 4 months.
wojbrian

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was asked to leave and got a 1 year EU ban because I had no work permit in 2008/2009.

I did everything else I was supposed to do. Maybe there were ways around this but no one made any suggestion as to how.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Poland All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: