Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Free life....
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jamesart9

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 11:57 pm    Post subject: Free life.... Reply with quote

Hello,
Is there anywhere in South America or Latin America at the moment I can pitch up on a tourist visa and advertise for private teaching where there is a demand for this. I want to make enough to survive as I have other income. The other income pays for extras and savings.

I have the CELTA, a degree and also one year experience of teaching in an school. I just am a bit free willed (ie I am an artist), I find working in a school while good, I often feel especially with my co workers and their world views, I might as well be working in a job back in the UK. I found that the people I did the CELTA with were more into things I am into, the place where I work I don't feel I have anything in common with my workers. As I have only worked in one school, do teachers differ in different schools?

At the end of the day, I could just live go to south america and live fairly cheaply without having to do TEFL. However, I actually enjoy teaching it part time and like all the students so far!
I mean, I love travel, adventure etc, I'm just not feeling it where I'm at.
Any advice?
James.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 1:23 am    Post subject: Re: Free life.... Reply with quote

Peru. Takes a while to build up privates. Try expatperu.com

You'll probably make about 500 to 1000 a month. Remember money from privates isn't too reliable.

Teachers differ in different schools.
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is quite common all over Latin America...Mexico, Costa Rica, Peru, Chile, and Argentina are the more usual spots, in the larger cities though. Much harder to network up enough private students in smaller areas or on the beach.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Dragonlady

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 3:59 am    Post subject: Re: Free life.... Reply with quote

original post deleted

Dragonlady apologizes for her lack of manners and unfounded judgement of another's character Embarassed

Best wishes,
DL

Last edited by Dragonlady on Wed May 02, 2012 11:18 am; edited 1 time in total
jamesart9

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice.
I like Peru, I've been there a few years ago. The deserts near Nazca look amazing at sunset.

Dragon Lady, apologies for insulting the TESOL profession. I can see your point of view. I know people who 'dabble' in what I do art/design and in the same manner as TESOL, it brings down wages and cheapens the profession. There is a famous quote from William Morris along similar lines but I cannot find it.

Although I am doing TESOL for the short term, I aim to move on soon and I do treat the job with professionalism. That is why I decided to get the CELTA. It has also helped me a great deal to improve my tuition skills to teach art/design skills in the future if I chose to do that.

Regards,
James.
AGoodStory

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: Free life.... Reply with quote

Dragonlady wrote:

My advice? One shouldn't quit their day job - either be an ESOL teacher (once you've improved your English language skills), or be an artist - but please don't insult the profession of TESOL by suggesting you'll dabble in it to pay the bills or pass the time away. Mad

DL

A little unfair, I think. The fact that James has invested his time (not to mention money) in a CELTA, has a degree, a year's experience, and likes teaching, puts him head and shoulders above the average backpacking teacher whose only interest in TEFL is that it can provide a way to travel.

He has obviously already invested enough of himself that he is hardly "insulting the profession." He's had enough interest to research certs and discover that a CELTA would serve him well. He didn't show up here whining, "Do I really need to spend a whole month in a training course, or can I get by without it? After all, I speak English!" (Or, in the words of one "teacher" on the Colombia forum, "I don't want to drop $2,000 unless I have to!")

Teaching English may not be his first love in life, but if that were a requirement, I'm fairly sure that the ranks of EFL teachers worldwide would be halved overnight.

Smile
jamesart9

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,
I find teaching ESL part time helps me to prepare my lessons a lot and also carry them out whilst balancing it with my other work.
Actually, as an artist is often a solitary pursuit, even when I can do this as a full time salary, I still want to teach 3d and ESL as a balance.

I feel the CELTA was a good thing to 'invest' in.
I also teach 3d graphics, I ran a workshop in that just before doing the CELTA. When I do more workshops and teaching in that, the CELTA and ESL experience have provided me with a lot of really high end skills I can use in that discipline.

Regards,
James.
Dragonlady

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Free life.... Reply with quote

AGoodStory wrote:
Dragonlady wrote:

My advice? One shouldn't quit their day job - either be an ESOL teacher (once you've improved your English language skills), or be an artist - but please don't insult the profession of TESOL by suggesting you'll dabble in it to pay the bills or pass the time away. Mad
DL

A little unfair, I think...

AGoodStory, my comments were indeed unfair and uncalled for, which is why I'd deleted them and apologized to the OP before you posted.

And again, I apologize to the OP.

DL
AGoodStory

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Free life.... Reply with quote

Ah, Dragonlady, if half the posters on this board had half your graciousness, the world be the better for it .

Very Happy
EFLeducator

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 1:52 am    Post subject: Re: Free life.... Reply with quote

naturegirl321 wrote:
Remember money from privates isn't too reliable.

Right!

That statement is true for Mexico City as well. 15 years experience there can't be wrong.
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 2:57 am    Post subject: Re: Free life.... Reply with quote

EFLeducator wrote:
naturegirl321 wrote:

Right!

That statement is true for Mexico City as well. 15 years experience there can't be wrong.

EFL in general all over Lat. America is NOT reliable income!
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Free life.... Reply with quote

EFLeducator wrote:
naturegirl321 wrote:

Right!

You should have just gave it a few more years, I am SURE something GREAT would have just fell off the taco truck and into your lap by then...

Or maybe if you spoke FLAWLESS Mexican Spanish Confused (not from anywhere else, they dislike accents in Spanish here) and an engaging personality, you would be El Rey of EFL! Twisted Evil
EFLeducator

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Free life.... Reply with quote

Prof.Gringo wrote:
You should have just gave it a few more years, I am SURE something GREAT would have just fell off the taco truck and into your lap by then...

Laughing Laughing

Prof.Gringo wrote:
Or maybe if you spoke FLAWLESS Mexican Spanish.

Maybe! The students I had in Mexico City always wanted to speak in Spanish during English conversation class. Rolling Eyes

Prof.Gringo wrote:
and an engaging personality, you would be El Rey of EFL! Twisted Evil

Now THAT'S funny, amigo!! Laughing Laughing I do believe that an engaging personality and having a network of THOUSANDS would make it possible to get ahead. Rolling Eyes
Isla Guapa

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Free life.... Reply with quote

EFLeducator wrote:

The students I had in Mexico City always wanted to speak in Spanish during English conversation class. Rolling Eyes

I've never run across this particular problem, but it that was the case for you, then as the teacher it was part of your job to see that they didn't. Wink
Dragonlady

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 12:22 am    Post subject: Re: Free life.... Reply with quote

Isla Guapa wrote:
EFLeducator wrote:

The students I had in Mexico City always wanted to speak in Spanish during English conversation class. Rolling Eyes
I've never run across this particular problem, but iF that was the case for you, then as the teacher it was part of your job to see that they didn't. Wink

From what you've told us here on the board Isla, you've only taught private adult one-on-one business classes.
Perhaps you might not be so quick to judge if you were overseeing a class of 20+ frenzied primary kids or (worse) hormonal teenagers.

DL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: