Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching in UAE

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ethel Jane

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 12:31 am    Post subject: Teaching in UAE Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'm an 36 year old Irish national hoping to get teaching work in the UAE. I've taken a sabbatical from my teaching job in Ireland....I wanted change !

I was in Dubai on holidays at Easter and was impressed. I think I'd like to work there. I'm also open to Qutar, or other places in the UAE.

I'd love to hear from anyone with advice on decent schools and nice cities with things going on...

Any and all feedback is most welcome !

Thank you and an Irish hello ))

-Clare
2buckets

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Need to know your qualifications, are you a secondary, tertiary etc. teacher. Are you TEFL qualified?

Contracts here are usually 3 years.

Does that fit in with your sabbatical?
Dedicated

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clare,

Going on a holiday to Dubai is very different from living and working there. Have you read the multitude of postings on the UAE forum here?
They should give a better idea of the various problems facing teachers from primary level up to university.

Good luck!
Ethel Jane

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you both so far for your comments.

2Buckets:
I'm a secondary school teacher of English.( Equivalent to Middle and High School ). I have Grade A in internationally regcognised TEFL.( over 100 hours )
I also have Masters in International Studies. I've already mailed a good few schools with my CV, but a lot are already filled for this September....I a bit late . Do you any more information here on what I could do?

-Clare

Dedicated:
Yes, I know holidaying and working in UAE are completely different. I have read a few threads here and did my own bit of research. Where in the UAE migtht you suggest for work? Or what advice can you give.

-Clare
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ethel Jane, have you tried teachaway.com?
Ethel Jane

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
Ethel Jane, have you tried teachaway.com?

I haven't 'nomad soul', but I will. Thank you very much. Hasve you working in the Middle East anywhere?
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in Saudi Arabia teaching in a university English language program. Prior to the Kingdom, I taught in one of the 'Arab spring' countries until last year when the nightly gunfire, restless mobs, and umpteen barricades and security checkpoints indicated it was time to leave.
Ethel Jane

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
I'm in Saudi Arabia teaching in a university English language program. Prior to the Kingdom, I taught in one of the 'Arab spring' countries until last year when the nightly gunfire, restless mobs, and umpteen barricades and security checkpoints indicated it was time to leave.

Gosh....!
Do you recommenf Saudi for work?
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For many teachers, Saudi Arabia's major appeal is the high, tax-free salary they can earn. However, the ultra-conservative Kingdom isn't for everyone, as you can see on the Saudi forum. Since you found the UAE to your liking, I'd say that's where you'll want to focus your job search.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: