Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Five killed and two wounded in Mexico City shootout

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico (off-topic)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EFLeducator

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 4:36 am    Post subject: Five killed and two wounded in Mexico City shootout Reply with quote

Stay away from Iztapalapa. I was always told that this is a dangerous place in Mexico City. Be careful my fellow TEFLer's!

http://news.yahoo.com/five-killed-two-wounded-mexico-city-shootout-231353539.html

Is violence on the increase in Mexico City?
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Five killed and two wounded in Mexico City shootout Reply with quote

EFLeducator wrote:
Stay away from Iztapalapa. I was always told that this is a dangerous place in Mexico City. Be careful my fellow TEFLer's!

http://news.yahoo.com/five-killed-two-wounded-mexico-city-shootout-231353539.html

Is violence on the increase in Mexico City?

Well, there are whole swaths of Mexico City to avoid, much of the city is a no-go zone. Doubt that? Just ask average Mexicans, esp. the middle-class ones about what areas to avoid. Pretty much everything east of the Zocalo, Tepito, and plenty of other areas, even around Santa Fe.
EFLeducator

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Five killed and two wounded in Mexico City shootout Reply with quote

Prof.Gringo wrote:
there are whole swaths of Mexico City to avoid, much of the city is a no-go zone.

I never felt safe getting off of the Metrobus at the Glorieta Insurgentes station. Too many freaks hanging around there all of the time.
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Five killed and two wounded in Mexico City shootout Reply with quote

EFLeducator wrote:
Prof.Gringo wrote:
there are whole swaths of Mexico City to avoid, much of the city is a no-go zone.

I never felt safe getting off of the Metrobus at the Glorieta Insurgentes station. Too many freaks hanging around there all of the time.

True, but there are much, much worse places in el DF Twisted Evil
canada_1986

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last I heard, murders this year in D.F. are up slightly from last year, but still lower than in 2010.

However, to put the numbers into perspective, the murder rate per 100,000 so far this year in Detroit is about six times higher than in D.F. And Detroit isn't America's most dangerous city either.

My personal experience so far with Mexicans is that their beliefs about how dangerous their city is is based on the crime rates of the 1990s, which were very high, and comparisons with their perceptions of crime in the United States. For example, one educated Mexican tried to tell me that there has never been a murder or even armed robbery in the history of the United States of America, and he assumed Canada as well. He was absolutely shocked when I told him that "we have armed robberies too".

Some Mexico City residents also seem to be completely unaware of the steps taken by Mayor Ebrard to make the city safer; for example, the numerous security cameras. I spoke with someone recently who had no idea these cameras even existed, even though you can't walk more than two blocks without seeing one.

If that's what some Mexicans truly believe about the United States, then no wonder they think they live in danger.
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

canada_1986 wrote:
The last I heard, murders this year in D.F. are up slightly from last year, but still lower than in 2010.

However, to put the numbers into perspective, the murder rate per 100,000 so far this year in Detroit is about six times higher than in D.F. And Detroit isn't America's most dangerous city either.

My personal experience so far with Mexicans is that their beliefs about how dangerous their city is is based on the crime rates of the 1990s, which were very high, and comparisons with their perceptions of crime in the United States. For example, one educated Mexican tried to tell me that there has never been a murder or even armed robbery in the history of the United States of America, and he assumed Canada as well. He was absolutely shocked when I told him that "we have armed robberies too".

Some Mexico City residents also seem to be completely unaware of the steps taken by Mayor Ebrard to make the city safer; for example, the numerous security cameras. I spoke with someone recently who had no idea these cameras even existed, even though you can't walk more than two blocks without seeing one.

If that's what some Mexicans truly believe about the United States, then no wonder they think they live in danger.

Crime stats are totally out of whack in Mexico, many violent crimes such as robbery, kidnapping and rape are rarely reported. If the REAL stats on just those 3 crimes were to be known, then all would see that Mexico City is much, much more dangerous than is being portrayed here and in media and govt. mouthpieces.

BTW I don't worry about getting killed in DF. I worry about being robbed and/or kidnapped.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico (off-topic) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: