Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Health Care in Mexico
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico (off-topic)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 9:21 pm    Post subject: Health Care in Mexico Reply with quote

I've not needed much health care in Mexico...had a broken foot once that was taken care of for free at a local trauma clinic but that was easy.

I was surprised today to find the depth of free care available. I went to a DF clinic to schedule a surgery (we don't want more children - I won't get graphic) and was impressed by how fast and how well they handle things.

On our way to visit this clinic, we dropped off a friend to the cardiological institute in the Zona Hospitalera for her own free care. She had to wait in a long line to get in but got what she needed and got out by the middle of the day.

Thought I'd share...health care in Mexico has been a vexing issue.

Last edited by Guy Courchesne on Thu May 10, 2012 3:34 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
EFLeducator

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Helath Care in Mexico Reply with quote

Guy Courchesne wrote:
I was surprised today to find the depth of free care available. I went to a DF clinic to schedule a surgery (we don't want more children - I won't get graphic)

OUCH! I could never do that after seeing how my brother-in-law had it done and then sat around for a week with a bag of ice.
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Helath Care in Mexico Reply with quote

EFLeducator wrote:
Guy Courchesne wrote:
I was surprised today to find the depth of free care available. I went to a DF clinic to schedule a surgery (we don't want more children - I won't get graphic)

OUCH! I could never do that after seeing how my brother-in-law had it done and then sat around for a week with a bag of ice.

72 hours with a cold beer between my legs is the plan here...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Dragonlady

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 11:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Helath Care in Mexico Reply with quote

Guy Courchesne wrote:
I've not needed much health care in Mexico...had a broken foot once that was taken care of for free at a local trauma clinic but that was easy.

I was surprised today to find the depth of free care available. I went to a DF clinic to schedule a surgery (we don't want more children - I won't get graphic) and was impressed by how fast and how well they handle things.

On our way to visit this clinic, we dropped off a friend to the cardiological institute in the Zona Hospitalera for her own free care. She had to wait in a long line to get in but got what she needed and got out by the middle of the day.

Thought I'd share...health care in Mexico has been a vexing issue.

This forward thinking in such a Catholic country is interesting. I don't think birth control options of ANY sort are 'free' in Canada, although I understand some (expensive) private health care plans do cover.

DL

BTW, I trust your plan includes several cold ones for each hand, as well.
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed. DF certainly doesn't fit the idea of a Catholic country what with legalized abortion and same sex civil unions either. As for getting snipped, I note with a guffaw that you have to pay if it's a cat or dog though.

Quote:

Your trust is not misplaced.
the peanut gallery

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I demand this thread be closed! It is sore just thinking about it.
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the peanut gallery wrote:
I demand this thread be closed! It is sore just thinking about it.

So I take it posting a video montage of the procedure is out? Wink

They took me through a very amateurishly hand-drawn step-by-step procedure in a folder they took off the shelf. It was, well, something to see.
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guy Courchesne wrote:
Indeed. DF certainly doesn't fit the idea of a Catholic country what with legalized abortion and same sex civil unions either. As for getting snipped, I note with a guffaw that you have to pay if it's a cat or dog though.

Quote:

Your trust is not misplaced.

No, there are free clinics for dogs and cats as well, for sterilization. There are also free rabies shots and parasite prevention. With the later two they even go around neighborhoods offering the service in your own home.
the peanut gallery

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hand drawn Guy? Hope your doctor had the courtesy to use a pen. Cant imagine you would have given the green light to him if presented with a crayon masterpiece. Razz
EFLeducator

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the peanut gallery wrote:
Hand drawn Guy? Hope your doctor had the courtesy to use a pen. Cant imagine you would have given the green light to him if presented with a crayon masterpiece. Razz

Laughing

Again...OUCH!!
MotherF

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While Mexico is prodominately Catholic, there is a much stronger and stricter separation of church and state here than in her northern neighbors.
Guy's surgery is not the only type of birthcontrol that is free. You can also get an IUD and condoms for free. I had my tubes tied for free.
Actually, the secretaria de salud is quiet militant about it, badgering woman to get an IUD implanted before leaving the hospital after birth or if it was their 3rd, pressing them to have their tubes tied.

My dogs were both sterilized for 50 pesos in a program sponsored by the municipal government.
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Part of collecting my GF's IMSS coverage during both pregnancies included a requirement to have a platica with a family planning counselor. We weaseled out of the meeting both times, but it follows what you say MotherF.

Quote:
Cant imagine you would have given the green light to him if presented with a crayon masterpiece.

This is public care...ain't no money for crayons.

Quote:
My dogs were both sterilized for 50 pesos in a program sponsored by the municipal government.

Health workers hit the streets here every 6 months to give out free rabies shots. I saw the same thing in Acapulco living there.

Friends here expressed a wariness when I asked about getting the dogs fixed. They mentioned it was common to have a private vet charge you for the operation without actually having done it. When we did have it done for one of the dogs, the vet made a point of handing us a clear plastic bag containing the removed ovaries. Shocked At the time I was thinking, oh how nice, I have a bag of dog ovaries. Then I asked myself how I would know if these were dog ovaries. It was a peculiar experience.
Phil_K

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Part of collecting my GF's IMSS coverage during both pregnancies included a requirement to have a platica with a family planning counselor. We weaseled out of the meeting both times, but it follows what you say MotherF.

Good for you! I remember wasting a Sunday with the pl�ticas for getting married in a Catholic church (my wife is a devout Catholic). I almost had a breakdown thinking about what an insult it was to my intelligence, although I can see the point regarding birth control where some less educated people breed like rabbits, and beyond their financial means.
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil_K wrote:
Quote:

Good for you! I remember wasting a Sunday with the pl�ticas for getting married in a Catholic church (my wife is a devout Catholic). I almost had a breakdown thinking about what an insult it was to my intelligence, although I can see the point regarding birth control where some less educated people breed like rabbits, and beyond their financial means.

Saw an article the other day on poverty in Mexico... Some street vendor that sells candies, papers, cigs etc on a street corner in DF lamented that he doesn't make enough to keep his SIX children in school... That some of them will need to drop out and start working... And the cycle repeats itself all over again.

Personal responsibility has to factor in at SOME point... Birth control is a lot cheaper than having a bunch of kids you can neither raise nor support properly.
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MotherF wrote:
While Mexico is prodominately Catholic, there is a much stronger and stricter separation of church and state here than in her northern neighbors.

That, and there is a wide range of beliefs amoungst Catholics. I consider myself a practicing Catholic, and while I am Pro-Life, I am also in favor of birth control as well as legal abortion. There are many who feel the same. I don't think beliefs are something you can control, they are either there, or they aren't, and as much as you might try to change your own mind, it's pretty hard to do. I know, I've tried. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico (off-topic) All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: