Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The People's Court .. You are the Judge

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
arioch36

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 11:41 am    Post subject: The People's Court .. You are the Judge Reply with quote

On the General Discussion our number one guy, THE Dave, has givrn call to

The ESL Judge Program

http://www.esljudge.com/index.shtml

Thoughts?

Sorry, no nifty poll, maybe tomorrow
jwbhomer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tag-line says "Here's to truth and justice in the English Teaching world." I say GOOD LUCK! Rolling Eyes

I wonder if this thread shouldn't be in the General Discussion forum. As for getting truth and justice in disputes with Chinese schools, what makes anyone think that a Chinese school would ever submit to arbitration by a bunch of foreigners?
latefordinner

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes this does belong in the general discussion forum, but if it were there I probably wouldn't get to see it. Looks like an interesting project, although it's too early to tell how effective it will become. My guess is that a lot of teachers will give up on it for the reason JWB gave. Too bad, because even if schools can't be persuaded to submit to arbitration, simply the existence of an independent and reliable ratings site would be a good thing.
clark.w.griswald

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that the site is a good idea but I share the concerns that have been raised on that thread. However in the very least it will be another source of information about schools and that has got to be a good thing.

If I am right the Approved Schools section will be populated by schools that have been through and stuck by the terms of the mediation process. If so then that will be very valuable information for everyone. For some time now I have been a proponent of getting information out there about good schools as opposed to just complaints about bad ones and I for one hope that the site achieves that aim.

The biggest downside that I see to that site is the fact that it is free. Without a source of income most websites tend to die a slow death or even worse continue living but never really get anywhere. Perhaps there is some money behind the site that we are all not aware of!
arioch36

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I say publically a school is good, no problem. My concern, as a long term resident here ion Henan (dare I say it is my career? it has been for a while at least)
authorities wiould act very negatively to my saying anything negative, publically, about a school, even if they all know the school is atrocious

on the other hand, if something like this gained momentum, which schools honour their committments, which schools don't, it could easily have a positive effect on a schools decision whether to do what they should do. And I suppose if laowai told other laowai you have no case, they would tend to believe it ... perhaps
Moon Over Parma

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can easily see the potential for a "kangaroo" court. Based on message boards, I don't fully trust the general public being able to dole out "justice" big or small, without any sort of partiality. Perhaps there's a thorough screening process like most American courts attempt to have when putting together a jury?
clark.w.griswald

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moon Over Parma wrote:
I can easily see the potential for a "kangaroo" court. Based on message boards, I don't fully trust the general public being able to dole out "justice" big or small, without any sort of partiality. Perhaps there's a thorough screening process like most American courts attempt to have when putting together a jury?

Perhaps the name of that site is a bit misleading in this regard but let's be realistic here - nothing that comes out of that mediation is going to be legally binding so I don't think that you can compare it to a court.

The value of that site will only come to fruition when you have a complaint between and legitimate school and teacher. Both parties will obviously state their cases and then the third party arbitration will make a ruling along the lines of 'In our opinion....'. Both parties will then be free to accept or disregard this ruling and that is the beauty and the archilles heel of that site.

Bad schools and nutbag teachers will not play ball no matter how conclusive the feelings are toward who is in the wrong. But legitimate schools that do show a willingness to resolve the dispute will hopefully be the ones added to the recommended list there.

If I am right then after a year or two of dispute resolution there should be a pretty clear record of which employers ignore the opportunity to resolve disputes, which places refuse to be reasonable, and which ones act reasonably. Given that information I know which type of employer I would be seeking out.
OGFT

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
nothing that comes out of that mediation is going to be legally binding so I don't think that you can compare it to a court.

Right you are, no mediation is legally binding.

As this site exist to replicate the actions of a SAFEA mediation which cannot guarantee compliance what chance does a foreign attempt at a vague representation of mediation have.

As the staff of a particular education facility is usually the reason for success or failure, what safe guards are built in to indicate when a change of admin can give new life to a fair operating system with in a given school.

For this reason any news that happen yesterday is simply old news and not worth consideration. Only current employees can give you the 411..
joecool

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 6:04 am    Post subject: ESL Judge seems to be defunct Reply with quote

The website isn't running anymore, it seems.
The Great Wall of Whiner

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never got to see the site, it's all coded and buggy now.
xiguagua

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why are we bumping 5 year old threads?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: