Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

teaching in Brisbane/ Gold Coast

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Australia/New Zealand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
annie- baxter

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:46 am    Post subject: teaching in Brisbane/ Gold Coast Reply with quote

Hi everyone,
I am planning to teach in Japan this year in order to get some experience teaching English. When I come back to Brissie early next year, I am hoping to get a full time job as an ESL teacher.

I already have a Bachelor Degree and I have almost finished my Graduate Certificate in TESOL. I have also been doing private ESL tutoring on a casual basis during my study.

What do you think are my chances of finding a job; or do you have any tips or recommendations for when I apply? I'm fine teaching either in Brisbane or the Gold Coast.

cheers!

Very Happy
Yorrick85

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't want to seem discouraging at all and this is just my opinion so take it with a grain of salt...
but...

The TESOL / ESL industry in Queensland is in a sad state. Student numbers are down down down for a variety of global factors. A simple search on Seek.com will show you only 4 ESL/TESOL jobs in whole of the sunshine state.

There are alot of language schools on the coast that will be more than happy to put you on casual teaching contract during the high season but the casual contracts are just that...casual and you can expect to be let go when then student numbers drop. Browns Language School in particular is notorious for this. Full time contracts are like gold dust although I know Imagine Education sometimes offers them.

The language schools generally pay $25 - $35 per hour and if your lucky a school will be able to give you around 24hrs per week. It would be much better for you if you could get work at one of the University language schools as they can pay $70 per hour for in class teaching time (which includes 1 hour of prep). Usually they will only consider teachers with Masters of TESOL or Applied Linguistics so you might want to consider upskilling to give yourself the best possible chance to get work.

I spent several years in Japan and absolutely LOVED it but with the TESOL/ESL industry in a bad way I recommend you have a safety or backup plan for when you return to Aus - don't count on being able to find a good ESL job here in QLD. Perhaps look into getting a Certificate of Teaching and Learning so that you are qualified to teach in schools or a TAFE diploma in Training and Assessing so that you can teach other subjects to adult learners. Of course you can always try other states where the situation might be better.

Again, don't mean any of this to be dispiriting -its just some information I wish I had when I came back from Japan.

Best of luck to you!!
annie- baxter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Yorrick85.

Thanks for the information, yes it does seem that the ESL industry is in a sorry state at the moment in QLD. I may have to try some of the other states when I return to look for work; I'm willing to move south if needed to find work, I wonder what would be better; Sydney or Melbourne?
Yorrick85

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All things considered I would say Melbourne is your best bet.

I would advise you to find work in Australia before you leave Japan. I lobbed home expecting for find ESL work easily (maybe lulled into a false sense of security because of the veritable ocean of jobs in Japan). Anyway. I got a rude awakening when I found out the conditions being offered by GC and Bris Schools to highly qualified applicants.

I don't want to sound like a crotchety and bitter ESL teacher (there are enough of those around as it is!) because I still love love love the work and the students even after 10 years in the industry but I would recommend you keep all your options open. While your in Japan develop a sideline that you can spin on your resume � that way you will be in a better position if ESL work is hard to find or if you fancy a change.

Don't mean to preach - just some advice I wish someone had told me.
ultraman111

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Yorrick85,

Currently the industry is in a mess. There are virtually no full time jobs anymore....just casual work.....and casual is stressfull, never knowing how much work you have in the next 6 weeks....

After 10 years plus in japan......i worked in a language centre of a university...for 3 years....and the management only look after their own....tossing the real workers aside when demmand dwindled...

Wages are going down as most places are privatised. Many Chinese and Lorean companies starting up paying crap wages of under 30 an hour...

The university job pays 75 an hour......max 20 - 24 hrs a week.....

Now there is no work I either go to Melb, where there are still many many international students......but lots of competition for jobs..

Or

change of career.

Or

Back to Japan.......

Or

Saudi Arabia for a 100k a year job.
southpawgrammar

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ultraman111 wrote:

Now there is no work I either go to Melb, where there are still many many international students......but lots of competition for jobs..

hmm I am thinking about moving back to Australia. Brisbane and Melbourne were my two leading choices.

How competitive is competitive Ultra?
thesuitthatdidnt

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 4:27 pm    Post subject: Oz is THE best � Reply with quote

OZ is of course in my heart Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil
Looking for a teaching job, I say head to the big city, seek and ye shall find.

And/or try TEFL Jobs in Australia, at the Australian College of English. They offer courses (jobs) in Sydney, Perth, Brisbane, and Cairns.

Put your best foot forward as the competition is stiff
Embarassed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Australia/New Zealand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: