Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can I provide for a family of three w/ 2400TRY in Istanbul?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
melmanuel

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 2:57 pm    Post subject: Can I provide for a family of three w/ 2400TRY in Istanbul? Reply with quote

Hello, I'm new at posting on Dave's so forgive me if this is in the wrong section. Anyway, I got a job offer for 2400TRY a month but that does not include housing. The job's in Istanbul so Im wondering if I can provide for my husband and one year old baby with this salary? We live very simply but I would like to be able to eat out once a week and I dont want to have to worry if we'll be able to buy diapers next month. Neither of us drink or go to clubs.

Second thing is- if any of you guys are teaching in Turkey with a family, which cities would you say are most family friendly?

Thanks for your help!
gloomyGumi

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes u can because I am doıng ıt Smile
melmanuel

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the response. That's very encouraging. Is it difficult living in Istanbul with a baby?
Eagle Eyes

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you will love Istanbul...should be no problem living as a family with a baby. Good luck! Very Happy
Shalana

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can provide for a spouse and baby on that amount, but it may be challenging because rents are high in Istanbul. Expect to pay at least 700 tl a month for a one bedroom flat. One bedroom flats aren't that common. Furnished flats are also not that common. If you get an unfurnished flat, not only will you have to buy furniture, but you will probably also have to buy a fridge and a washing machine. You can probably get everything used for 1,500 - 2,000 tl. You also need to figure in a rental deposit. This can be 1 or 2 months rent depending on if you rent from an owner or a real estate agent (emlak). A good website to look at for information on flats is www.sahibinden.com.

I lived in Istanbul for four years and moved to Bursa last year. In Istanbul, I lived in a 2 bedroom, older, unfurnished flat with a roommate for 1,000 tl per month. I now live in a bigger, 2 bedroom, furnished flat in Bursa for 600 tl per month and my salary here is the same as in Istanbul.
vashdown2

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know how anyone could possible provide for a family on 2,400 lira without housing....

Whoever said you can find a 1 bedroom in Istanbul for 700 lira is wrong. Check out Craiglist.. you will quickly see that just renting a room in Istanbul will be 700 lira plus another 150 lira for bills.
Shalana

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That may be true for craigslist, but I recommended www.sahibinden.com and just checked flats in Istanbul in a range of 600-800 tl per month and many were listed.
sixthchild

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so you got a place to live, its cheap, but is it safe? Personally I think that with a family such as yours unless you can get a free or subsidized flat you will struggle, think about your travel costs, food, bills and those unexpected expenses. Hopefully your astude enough to come over here with a bit of capital to cover start up costs?? no-one told you about them, well they can be more than just a few hundred of what your used to.
As A BALLPARK fgure you will need a minimum of 2,500 tl or equiv per person as a reserve if you don't not want to end up in a piss poor position, remember the 5 p's!!
Proper
planning
prevents
pisspoor
performance!
Good luck!
oipivo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have to agree with sixthchild and vashdown, 2,400 a month for a family of three will really be a struggle. It is certainly possible, but it will be difficult. I also can't imagine finding a 1 bedroom furnished flat for 700 TL. Maybe they exist outside the center, but likely not anywhere where you would need to be. My friend recently found a studio flat outside of Kadikoy for 800TL plus utilities (no heat, and honestly not very nice). A one bedroom (that isn't a total sh*t hole) would be a mind blowing find.

I hope you can find a place, though! Good luck!
scot47

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Health Care ?
My thought is that others live on less than this but would you CHOOSE to ?
billy orr

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know a family of 4, not in istanbul and with no car, whose budget was 5000TL a month over the last year.
sixthchild

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Billy that says it all really, they should live fairly well on that much each month, but as a professional teacher that is as it should be. Others may choose to exist on the bare minimum, that would not suit me at all. I suspect I would not be alone on that score.
delal

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wages like that are the reason that I don't live and work in Istanbul.
Despite earning that much living in the sticks, what with rent, bills and some childcare to pay, as well as feeding and clothing us (my school pays SGK healthcare) I don't have much left over at the end of each month. We do eat takeaway sometimes (pide and the like) but certainly can't afford the restaurants catering for middle class Turks and the richer foreigners (it's been years since I last had sushi Crying or Very sad , but maybe that's also a result of being a parent)
vashdown2

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a thought: Can't your spouse also find a job teaching?
delal

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep-two wages might do it. I say might because of potential childcare costs
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Turkey All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: