Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Violence/Drug Wars/Safety(Includes Guadalajara-U.S. Warning)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tideout

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prof.Gringo wrote:
"Shortly after midnight on May 11 in central Mexico City, Isaac Chinedu, an immigrant from Nigeria, became involved in some kind of confrontation with a group of police officers on a dark side street. The encounter escalated, and Chinedu was severely beaten. Some minutes later, he was dead, the victim of a hit-and-run driver, authorities say."

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/laplaza/2011/06/nigerian-mexico-police-beating-racism-investigation-isaac-chinedu.html

Interesting link - it's easy to forget about discrimination against African-Latinos or refugees. I guess the police brutality isn't anything new (here or the US, etc...)
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tideout wrote:
Prof.Gringo wrote:
"Shortly after midnight on May 11 in central Mexico City, Isaac Chinedu, an immigrant from Nigeria, became involved in some kind of confrontation with a group of police officers on a dark side street. The encounter escalated, and Chinedu was severely beaten. Some minutes later, he was dead, the victim of a hit-and-run driver, authorities say."

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/laplaza/2011/06/nigerian-mexico-police-beating-racism-investigation-isaac-chinedu.html

Interesting link - it's easy to forget about discrimination against African-Latinos or refugees. I guess the police brutality isn't anything new (here or the US, etc...)

Racial profiling, racism, and discrimination are all alive and well in Mexico, against both Mexicans and foreigners.

I remember a female student in her 20's that had a German father and a Mexican mother, she was born and raised in Mexico, but people would here her German last name and tell her she wasn't a "real" Mexican.

I've heard many comments (all negative) by Mexicans about Asians.

And don't forget the abuse and discrimination suffered by migrants from other countries within Mexico's borders.
hrvoje4

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:09 am    Post subject: The Great War ON Civilization Reply with quote

Generally, I haven't had a problem here the past year and a half.

I only recently had my home broken into and ransacked because I was away for a week at a time during vacation. I'm smart enough to keep nothing of value, so the ladron got away with not mucho. I don't even gots a TV!

Sure, grenades in discotheques on occasion, but then again, I don't frequent those kinds of places much. They may have burned down a bus, shot some folks and taken their car some months back...but its been relatively quiet since.

It could be a deceptive quiet though, this type of news the government tries to hush, as I know some Mexicans keep track of daily violence via certain channels.

I did hear from some folks that out in Juarez, they rig their tail lights to go out and drive by flashlight on occasion.

I was in LA recently, that ain't pretty, but its difficult to compare the two. Sure, they may not hang you from a bridge, they'll just shoot or rape you. The only time I ever stared down the barrel of a gun was in an urban American city.

The economic collapse ain't about to help things either. Self-defense and a gun, that's where its at, wherever you are.

This story freaked me out a bit: http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/topstory/7607122.html

However, I'm most weary of the US Gov, the source of all problems:

http://www.elpasotimes.com/ci_18608410?source=most_viewed
http://www.infowars.com/los-zetas-kingpin-we-bought-guns-directly-from-u-s-government/
http://www.infowars.com/operation-castaway-guns-trafficked-to-honduran-criminal-gangs/

EDIT: Sorry, I saw GUADALAJARA in title and was under the impression it was focused on Mexico's second largest city. I've been in GDL the past year and a half.

Last edited by hrvoje4 on Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Isla Guapa

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:21 am    Post subject: Re: The Great War ON Civilization Reply with quote

hrvoje4 wrote:
Generally, I haven't had a problem here the past year and a half.

I only recently had my home broken into and ransacked because I was away for a week at a time during vacation. I'm smart enough to keep nothing of value, so the ladron got away with not mucho. I don't even gots a TV!

Sure, grenades in discotheques on occasion, but then again, I don't frequent those kinds of places much. They may have burned down a bus, shot some folks and taken their car some months back...but its been relatively quiet since.

It could be a deceptive quiet though, this type of news the government tries to hush, as I know some Mexicans keep track of daily violence via certain channels.

I did hear from some folks that out in Juarez, they rig their tail lights to go out and drive by flashlight on occasion.

I was in LA recently, that ain't pretty, but its difficult to compare the two. Sure, they may not hang you from a bridge, they'll just shoot or rape you. The only time I ever stared down the barrel of a gun was in an urban American city.

This information would be more useful if the poster had indicated where in Mexico he or she has been living for the last year and a half.
kidefl

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

money: i lived in Mexico 19 years. i can see from reading a few posts things have changed.

IMO there is no safe conduct for money matters. If someone wants to empty your bank account all they need is your pin. If they want your travelers checks all they need is for you to sign them. Of course you can always resist. Smile

I learned a little trick for hotel security. Unscrew the light switch plastic cover, put your cash in a little bag, tie a piece of dental floss or monofiiament fishing line to it and lower the contents down the hollow shaft most concrete construction has, tie the end to the switch's metal frame.

All my years - mostly living in the trenches - I was ONLY robbed twice, both tines from hotel rooms, but never money.

Once you stay in Mexico long enough believe it or not at some point you will start to look Mexican. When your Mexican (not college) Spanish becomes so natural you're dreaming in Spanish you've over-come 90% of the Gringo's struggle. So then all that's left is for you to join into the Mexican's struggle. No so bad. At least you'll have plenty of company.
tideout

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 8:55 am    Post subject: Latest violence in GDL Reply with quote

I was sorry to see the latest killing of people around GDL especially near Chapala. It looks like 30+ victims many were simply kidnapped.

What was most disturbing about this was it seemed like quite a few were simply picked out of nowhere - several waiters and a young female victim - fairly random appearing. I"ve read that this was the Zetas sending yet another "message".

It looks like the story is not really clear as of today - any takes on this as being different than other narco violence in GDL?
EFLeducator

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

40 mutilated bodies were found today. Be careful traveling in Mexico TEFLer's.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/05/13/world/americas/mexico-remains/index.html?hpt=hp_t3
Samantha

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I don't think "TEFLer's" are in any danger.
EFLeducator

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samantha wrote:

Rolling Eyes Unreal.

What kind of MESSAGE is this?? Of course some TEFLer's could be in danger from the lack of governmental control that is going on in northern Mexico. I am sure that there are some TEFLer's who travel by bus throughout Mexico and need to know about such events in order to make an INFORMED decision when it comes to future travel plans.

For example, I used to sometimes take a bus from Dallas, Texas to Mexico City. It was a great way for me to practice my Spanish and to see a lot of the country. I would not do it today. Imagine going from Laredo, Texas into New Laredo, Mexico at midnight as I used to do. From New Laredo, Mexico to Monterrey, anything could possibly happen. It is NOT as safe today as it was 7 years ago for example.

Again...plan accordingly my fellow TEFLer's.
tideout

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EFLeducator wrote:
Samantha wrote:

Rolling Eyes Unreal.

What kind of MESSAGE is this?? Of course some TEFLer's could be in danger from the lack of governmental control that is going on in northern Mexico. I am sure that there are some TEFLer's who travel by bus throughout Mexico and need to know about such events in order to make an INFORMED decision when it comes to future travel plans.

For example, I used to sometimes take a bus from Dallas, Texas to Mexico City. It was a great way for me to practice my Spanish and to see a lot of the country. I would not do it today. Imagine going from Laredo, Texas into New Laredo, Mexico at midnight as I used to do. From New Laredo, Mexico to Monterrey, anything could possibly happen. It is NOT as safe today as it was 7 years ago for example.

Agreed. To ignore the potential risks is foolish. To broadly say there's nothing to worry about when Mexicans are certainly worried is crazy.

These things seem to change in Mexico and need to be watched. What was a bit concerning in these latest incidents was the apparent randomness. I think it's been a general assumption that if you're not "involved" in the trade you're ok - this may not be the case in GDL.
EFLeducator

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mexico�s six-year drug war behind the Mother�s Day massacre.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/trending-now/y-big-story-mexico-six-drug-war-behind-182554036.html

Sad what is happening to Mexico.
tideout

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Article today in the NY Times on the psychological impact of the violence.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/16/world/americas/mexicans-unflinching-in-face-of-drug-wars-carnage.html?_r=1&hp

Really, it's such a shame I hardly know what to say.
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tideout wrote:
EFLeducator wrote:
Samantha wrote:

Rolling Eyes Unreal.

Agreed. To ignore the potential risks is foolish. To broadly say there's nothing to worry about when Mexicans are certainly worried is crazy.

These things seem to change in Mexico and need to be watched. What was a bit concerning in these latest incidents was the apparent randomness. I think it's been a general assumption that if you're not "involved" in the trade you're ok - this may not be the case in GDL.

To stick your head in the sand is your personal business... To advise others to do the same is not, esp. in regards to newbies... sound advice to say the least.

People have a RIGHT to be informed and then make a choice. I would advise any newbies thinking of going to Mexico to think about another country. Plenty of places to teach EFL in Lat. America and practice Spanish.

The violence has become more random and out of control. That is why the violence in Mexico City is still a threat, even without the drug war exploding across el DF, there are plenty of express kidnappings, robberies, rapes, carjackings and thefts to worry about as it is.

Stay safe out there in the land of the Aztecs!
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samantha wrote:

Quote:
What kind of MESSAGE is this??

Quote:
To stick your head in the sand is your personal business... To advise others to do the same is not, esp. in regards to newbies... sound advice to say the least.

Agreed. Shame on you Samantha for suggesting people put themselves at such risk. Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Samantha

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed. Not sure how anyone got THAT from my post. On the other hand.... Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 13 of 14

Jump to: