Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Entering Colombia on a tourist visa

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Colombia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Utica2008

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:58 pm    Post subject: Entering Colombia on a tourist visa Reply with quote

Hello,

I have a few questions regarding entering Colombia.

I have heard that although technically you are supposed to have an onward or return flight booked, but this is hardly ever checked, although some airlines enforce it. Can anyone shed some light on this please?

Are there any very cheap flights that people book as proof of an onward flight without intending to get the flight?

Do you claim to be a backpacker who will be travelling out of the country by bus? I will more than likely be flying from madrid.

Also are there any factors that decide how long they stamp your visa for? 90 is the maximum but sometimes they stamp for 30 I believe? Do people just usually ask for 90?

Thanks
JonnyBravo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since one way tickets were not really much cheaper for me from Detroit, I just booked a round trip ticket for the latest they would let me return and then changed the flight later. I nearly didnt get on that flight.
labomba

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get 60 days. That is how it works.

90 days is very, very, very rare. You will get 60 days.

The checking of airline tickets and having a return is usually done by the airline. It is rare to be checked for this by immigration unless you look out of the ordinary.

The airlines vary on this. You can check with them. My experience is that coming from Europe, the airlines here have let me fly in on a one way ticket, flying with BA.

Some people get a single ticket to Quito from Colombia, or "make" an eticket to Quito.

You should search the old forums on poorbuthappy.com and colombia vanilla.
JonnyBravo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are basically two places you could get asked this, at the airport before you get on the plane, or at immigration in Colombia. I wasn't asked at either. Or really much of anything at immigratation actually.
Cruiser

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JonnyBravo wrote:
There are basically two places you could get asked this, at the airport before you get on the plane, or at immigration in Colombia. I wasn't asked at either. Or really much of anything at immigratation actually.

I got asked to show a return ticket at check- in at tocumen airport in panama. i flashed the (expired!!!) conjugal visa I have for colombia in my passport, and the clerk didnt look too closely, just smiled and said a return wasnt required in cases where the traveler had a resident visa.

in hindsight though i wish i'd bought the return because it was almost the same price and as it turned out i could have used it a month later and actually saved some money.
simonenglish

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

labomba wrote:
You can get 60 days. That is how it works.
90 days is very, very, very rare. You will get 60 days.

I smiled at the immigration guy. Said "90" (in my limited Spanish) and got 90 days no problem. Just last month... The hotel owner reckoned that they are trying to attract more tourists, and also being more flexible..
littlelauren86

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here. I got 90 days at immigration, no smiling though.

The thing is Asiana airlines did ask me for proof of onward/return travel when I checked in. American airlines didn't ask for anything.
windowlicker

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

littlelauren86 wrote:
The thing is Asiana airlines did ask me for proof of onward/return travel when I checked in. American airlines didn't ask for anything.

I've been asked for this before, as well. Luckily, with a Colombian work visa there's no problem. I don't recommend buying a one-way ticket to Colombia unless you have permission to stay in the country - not sure what the consequences would be, but this is something you definitely stand a chance of being asked for if you're flying in on a one-way ticket.
originaloli

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will be given a piece of immigration paper on the plane asking what you are bringing into the country, if you have a criminal record etc. On this will be a section asking how long you intend to stick around. Put 90 days on the visa and you should receive just that. My partner and I did...Colombian immigration was a piece of piss. It's usually more of a pain coming back to England in this current climate of hatred (coming in at the Belgian end of the Eurostar I was asked why I'd been out of the country for more than two years - and not in a nice chatty way) and xenophobia.
littlelauren86

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

windowlicker wrote:
littlelauren86 wrote:

I've been asked for this before, as well. Luckily, with a Colombian work visa there's no problem. I don't recommend buying a one-way ticket to Colombia unless you have permission to stay in the country - not sure what the consequences would be, but this is something you definitely stand a chance of being asked for if you're flying in on a one-way ticket.

Right.

In my case in particular (flying from Korea), it was cheaper to get the one way to Colombia + extra ticket to Quito rather than flying to Quito and say, take the bus to Colombia. Also, a couple of people told me to just fake a ticket, but as a warning at the airport the employee took my e-ticket and definitely looked it up on the computer. So work out the costs to see what is best for the situation.
G22

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't need a return ticket and if you ask for 90 days you most likely will get it.
Cruiser

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G22 wrote:
You don't need a return ticket and if you ask for 90 days you most likely will get it.

ditto. tell the clerk at immigration you have a girlfriend in medellin and want a 90 day visa. they'll probably give it to you. also, i was asked to show proof of a return ticket before i boarded the plane in panama for bogota, but i just showed them an expired conjugal visa i had in my passport and he said ok. never checked the date! you can get spot checked for a return ticket at some airports, so play it safe and get a return.
MNguy

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who runs it now that DAS is shit-canned? I left Colombia by bus after overstaying my work visa by two months and had to give the DAS guy at the border my cell phone and $20 for the stamp to get out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Colombia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: