Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

English Teacher wanting to start a career in Istanbul
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
amira ch

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 2:14 am    Post subject: English Teacher wanting to start a career in Istanbul Reply with quote

Hello,

I am an English teacher from Tunisia with a Master Degree in Cross-cultural Poetics (English Language and Literature) with almost 2 years of experience in teaching different levels. I am Interested in starting a career in Istanbul. So I am looking for Language schools or Universities which are looking for English teachers for the up coming Academic year (and which provide accomodation at least for the two first months). So if anyone is able to help me out I'd be extremely grateful.

Thanks in advance!
amira ch

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So no replies so far Sad ...well I am adding an idea about my experience and other English-related activities I am practising to my post hoping I will get some replies soon:

December 2010-now English tutor at Livemocha.
January 2011- May 2011 Substitue Teacher of English
November 2011- March 2012 Subsitute Teacher of English
2012 A member of the AMIDEAST Book Club

Thanks in advance.
ossie39

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 12:14 am    Post subject: career in Istanbul Reply with quote

Hello amira ch. Don't give up yet on your chances of finding work. Whilst someone may read your posting and know of an opening, this isn't the main place for advertising yourself or searching for potential employees. You also must give it a little more time. Look at www.tefl.com and google yabanci dil kurse Istanbul for language schools. Apply to schools you like the look of. Best wishes Ossie.
amira ch

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Ossie39,

Thank you so much for your nice words and advice and for keeping my hopes up Wink. Well, I'll keep looking!!

Thanks once again!! Smile
misterkodak

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amira,
May I suggest that you look for a job teaching in the Arabian Gulf? I know Turkey seems nice (I taught there for many years) but the salaries are quite low compared to other regions. As a speaker of Arabic and English, your salary (and living standard) would be much better in the Gulf. I work with quite alot of well qualified Arabic speaking teachers here. Turkey is a nice place to visit, you just don't want to live there for a long period of time. It's difficult to save money.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just PMed you, OP
amira ch

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

naturegirl321 wrote:
Just PMed you, OP

Thanks a lot. I PMed you back.
amira ch

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

misterkodak wrote:
Amira,
May I suggest that you look for a job teaching in the Arabian Gulf? I know Turkey seems nice (I taught there for many years) but the salaries are quite low compared to other regions. As a speaker of Arabic and English, your salary (and living standard) would be much better in the Gulf. I work with quite alot of well qualified Arabic speaking teachers here. Turkey is a nice place to visit, you just don't want to live there for a long period of time. It's difficult to save money.

Hello,

Thanks a lot for your suggestion but the problem is that (as I have heard) everyday life's conditions in the Arabian Gulf are quite restricted especially for a woman and this is why I did not consider looking for a teaching position in there.

Thanks once more for your suggestion.
Eagle Eyes

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To The OP

Finding a teaching job in Istanbul isn't easy as there are thousands of EFL teachers looking for work whilst there are few jobs available. On top of this salaries are very low on offer and it is [b]extremely difficult [/b]for savings. My advice is look for an English language teaching job in North Africa or even in Europe (France, Spain, Portugal etc?) where you could probably save some money. Good luck in your search! Smile
Luxe

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eagle Eyes wrote:
To The OP

Finding a teaching job in Istanbul isn't easy as there are thousands of EFL teachers looking for work whilst there are few jobs available. On top of this salaries are very low on offer and it is [b]extremely difficult [/b]for savings. My advice is look for an English language teaching job in North Africa or even in Europe (France, Spain, Portugal etc?) where you could probably save some money. Good luck in your search! Smile

Getting a job in Istanbul is absurdly easy, much too easy, really. My German flatmate was hired to teach English and was instructed to tell her students she was Canadian if they asked about her accent. Shocked I've never met ANYONE who wanted to teach English who was unable to find a job in Istanbul. It's just ridiculous how easy it is here.
billy orr

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Luxe.
misterkodak

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finding a job may be easy as there are lots of flybynight cowboy schools such as the big yellow misery. However, finding a GOOD job is another matter. Being paid in full and on time is not a job perk.
Luxe

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed, but it is nowhere near as grim as Eagle Eyes obsessively loves to profess to any would be TEFL newcomer. "Oooh, don't come! There are hundreds of thousands of teachers who are homeless and just waiting to steal your job and livelihood from you!" It's getting a bit absurd at this point.
wander&teach

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. Istanbul is highly competitive like any large city but without a doubt it can be done. Of course credentials increase your odds of landing a good job a hundred fold. Outside of Istanbul and the other major cities the open positions are endless. If you are a native speaker, have a pulse, are sane, presentable, professional, and hold a related degree, schools will typically 'create" a position for you.
billy orr

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wander&teach wrote:
If you are a native speaker, have a pulse, are sane, presentable, professional, and hold a related degree, schools will typically 'create" a position for you.

Or even if you have just one or two of those qualities like me. The full set is quite difficult to find in ELT in Turkey, especially the third criterion.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Turkey All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: