Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Free life....
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Isla Guapa

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 2:04 am    Post subject: Re: Free life.... Reply with quote

Dragonlady wrote:
Isla Guapa wrote:
EFLeducator wrote:

The students I had in Mexico City always wanted to speak in Spanish during English conversation class. Rolling Eyes
I've never run across this particular problem, but iF that was the case for you, then as the teacher it was part of your job to see that they didn't. Wink

From what you've told us here on the board Isla, you've only taught private adult one-on-one business classes.
Perhaps you might not be so quick to judge if you were overseeing a class of 20+ frenzied primary kids or (worse) hormonal teenagers.

DL

Fair enough comment, DL. Well, EFLeducator, did you have this problem with adults, children or teenagers?
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 5:01 am    Post subject: Re: Free life.... Reply with quote

Isla Guapa wrote:
Dragonlady wrote:
Isla Guapa wrote:
EFLeducator wrote:

The students I had in Mexico City always wanted to speak in Spanish during English conversation class. Rolling Eyes
I've never run across this particular problem, but iF that was the case for you, then as the teacher it was part of your job to see that they didn't. Wink

From what you've told us here on the board Isla, you've only taught private adult one-on-one business classes.
Perhaps you might not be so quick to judge if you were overseeing a class of 20+ frenzied primary kids or (worse) hormonal teenagers.

DL

Fair enough comment, DL. Well, EFLeducator, did you have this problem with adults, children or teenagers?

Myself, I had this issue while teaching in colegios at both the secundaria & prepa levels as well as in university.

And to say that it is all the teacher's fault/responsibility is a bit much. If you have kids that REFUSE to learn INGLES no matter what you try, or how much you care, what is left? Flog them? Chain them to their desks during breaks? I had this issue and I would just finally take the student to admin and let them have a chat, but in the end, they are not going to thow a student who's parents pay good money (and a LOT of it at that) out of the school cause they refuse to learn English.

I can say that teachers (of EFL or whatever) learn to dance with the devil in a colegio on a daily basis. Class sizes of 20-30 are the norm (if not MORE), I taught 5-6 classes per day, so do the math of how many students that was... Learning the names of all of them is a challange by itself. Then you have to keep track of them... Act as a facilitator so that their young minds can learn Cool

Yeah, you can't compare teaching one professional motivated executive level student to teaching a class of thirty 14-18 year-olds. Not possible.

BTW what would you do if two kids started beating the crap out of each other during class? Did I mention their are no phones or even a buzzer to call for help? You can not just leave the class room to get help, as the class room is 3 floors above the offices...and you can NOT leave the class room unattended.

Well, that did happen to a co-worker and she was clear, NO WAY was she going to try and physically break up 2 male teens that were pounding each other senseless in the middle of the class...

GUESS WHAT??? She was chewed out good by the admin for not doing more... Maybe we should have been issued pepper spray, tazers and handcuffs Twisted Evil

So, to conclude, there are more important things to worry about in a colegio EFL class than whether or not a few of the kids speak some Spanish between themselves (BTW, wasn't a huge problem in my advanced classes, those fresa kids spoke better English than most of the Mexican English teachers I've met.)

Last edited by Prof.Gringo on Tue May 15, 2012 12:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
EFLeducator

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: Free life.... Reply with quote

Dragonlady wrote:
Perhaps you might not be so quick to judge if you were overseeing a class of 20+ frenzied primary kids or (worse) hormonal teenagers

Right!!

EXCELLENT point, Dragonlady.
MNguy

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 3:16 am    Post subject: Re: Free life.... Reply with quote

[quote="AGoodStory"]
Dragonlady wrote:

in the words of one "teacher" on the Colombia forum, "I don't want to drop $2,000 unless I have to!")

Smile

If someone has 3-4 years of teaching experience, loves his job and gets positive feedback from admin and students, why bother? Oh, right, to get a job at International House.

I'm doing a DELTA course in August.
MNguy

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To clarify, that is agoodstory quote, not DragonLady.
Concepcion780

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
do teachers differ in different schools?

yes.
jamesart9

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Quote:
do teachers differ in different schools?
yes.

I am glad you answered this one.
The people on my CELTA and my tutors on the course were interesting people interested in travel/adventure in their own ways.

The ones I work with have mostly worked at the school for 3 years plus and the atmosphere to me is like an unskilled job in the UK with petty squabbling.

People can conclude about me whatever they want with my opinion here but other work, I know is not like this. As this is my first ESL year, I was wondering if this school is the norm or do they infact 'differ'. All the people I know back home who did Esl for a bit are also different to those I am working with.

I'm looking forward to moving on next month, either teaching English if I can find the right environment or use my other skills.

Best regards.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: