Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Astana - what is it like?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
meridok

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 7:10 pm    Post subject: Astana - what is it like? Reply with quote

Hello,

I'm quite seriously thinking about teaching in Astana next year. I'm just wondering about the cost of living there, the information I've found on the Net differs quite a lot. How much money do you realistically need to earn to lead a comfortable life? Also, what is the city like?

I would really appreciate if anyone could give me information about Astana/ Kazakhstan.

cheers!
almatythen

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 12:34 am    Post subject: Most have gone Reply with quote

Most people who post here have already left Astana/Kazakhstan for one reason or another... Even the top bloggers: KZBlog, Kazakhnomad aren't even there (in the country) anymore...

You may wanna check this
http://tinyurl.com/82wteo9

G'luck!
ancient_dweller

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You may wanna check this
http://tinyurl.com/82wteo9

comic blog - one poster says someone is from 'turdistan' - very funny
kazpat

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I'll chime in but I am going to come off rude, sorry.

To answer your question, it depends on your lifestyle. The 1000 USD to 1300 USD plus housing that most private places offer is sufficient according to friends there. However, I will be living in Astana for a few months starting in August and I want to join a good gym, that will be a 2000 USD + expense. So again, it depends....

Telling what the city is like is a rather broad question that I am never sure how to answer. Do you have any existing info that you have found that you would like confirmed or expanded on? I will be happy to try and answer a more specific question based on my visits to Astana. As far as KZ overall goes, I have lived here for over 2 years and posted my impressions in another thread.

Almatythen, you tend to direct people to links or blogs that are negative toward KZ and don't answer the questions yourself despite the fact that you live or lived here, why is that? Can you offer the OP and the board anything based on your experience?

I may be biased (Kazakh wife etc.) but my experience here has been overwhelmingly positive, I love life in KZ and it will be my home for the foreseeable future. I actually miss Kazakhstan (not just my wife) when I visit the states. But maybe my personality just fits here? I don't know.

Edit: just checked out a few open job postings and seems salaries have gone up at most places recently so 1000 -1300 is going to be higher on average at private places. NU, NIS and oil companies being a lot higher than the private centers.

Last edited by kazpat on Tue May 15, 2012 6:52 pm; edited 4 times in total
Montanaland

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 3:54 pm    Post subject: Oil&Gas Reply with quote

I'm reading that Kazakhstan is the one of the most expensive Central Asian countries because of their>>>>> oil&gas production/exploration!!
almatythen

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 3:47 am    Post subject: Kazpat is totally right Reply with quote

KAZPAT is totally right and you'll do well to listen to his advice as often as possible! I DID & I'm lovin' it here... But I'm one of those people who always want to know as many negatives as possible... The good things you experience will always be good, but an unknown "pain in the ass" event could break your spirit! It's a steep curve to get used to life in KZ (in my opinion) but for those who do overcome the challenge, you'll absolutely love it! When I moved to a location in The Gulf, everyone I spoke to made it seem like heaven on Earth; while the pay and benefits were PERFECT, the daily life struggles brought me to the point that I did not want to renew my contract. Ended up as one of those, "wished someone would have been brutally honest" before I came situations. KAZPAT (Jedi) is the light side of life in the KZ... PM me for the dark (Sith) side... Haha! Smile Nevertheless, great place and don't regret a thing!

Take Away Lesson: Listen to KAZPAT 90% and just give me that 10% to nurture your doubts enough to have you prepared for the worse Wink
kazpat

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the post almatythen,

Yes, getting used to life in KZ can be tough at times and I completely agree that potential teachers should get a full picture. One thing that I like to reiterate, don't work illegally, know your contract and read the labor code. My first employer had short changed me on vacation days and over scheduled my contact hours. I was able to work that out but had to be assertive, ended up getting along just fine with that place and stayed two years.

I recently was in Almaty for a layover, one thing I noticed is that at cafes, restaurants and with some taxi drivers is that I was being spoken to in English. This never happens to me because I live in a provincial city. In talking to a friend in Almaty she says there is a pretty good expat scene whereas in Astana I hear that it is limited. This could be either a negative or a positive. My friend in Astana had a tough time and felt isolated early on but my friend in Almaty adjusted rather quickly. YMMV
meridok

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks so much for your replies Kazpat and Almatythen!

definitely don't want to work illegally, no worries about that, the visa process has already begun. It'll be Astana from October.

yeah, I had a look at the gym prices and those are just ludicrously high but hopefully a normal swimming pool is not going to cause too much of a dint in my budget Smile

it's for sure an exciting prospect, thanks for the info!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: