Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Midwest Education Group - Vietnam

View previous topic :: View next topic  
yolo39

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 3:18 pm    Post subject: Midwest Education Group - Vietnam Reply with quote

Hey!

I've searched the internet but can't find many reviews on Midwest Education Group in Can Tho. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with them or if you've heard anything?

Many thanks!
Mondomaz

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 9:37 pm    Post subject: MEG Reply with quote

Ya,

I tried to research them , there's not much out there.

Tien Chau - the CEO - and Vietnamese, and is US based, - replied to my query on jobs she advertised for work in Iraq - which I thought was slightly odd for a CEO

But haven't had any reply from her - yet
Made me wonder if it is a front company to just sell Tesol courses and didn't really have any jobs

but I'm probably wrong or just too
impatient

Maz
Mondomaz

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 9:41 pm    Post subject: MEG Reply with quote

I mean I sent her all my details and scans when she asked for them then
heard nothing
Dekadan

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edit: this was posted in the wrong thread. My apologies.

Last edited by Dekadan on Wed May 16, 2012 6:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dekadan

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys, sorry about the wrong post. Not sure what happened there, as you might suspect it was supposed to be in the Healthy Eating thread. Blame it on me not having my coffee at the time.... I'll edit it out
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're not a front and appear to be legit, They are based in America. Just how reputable they are I don't know.
mark_in_saigon

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:10 am    Post subject: HERE IS WHAT I SEE Reply with quote

I see about 3 or 4 things that seem questionable.

Quote:
We train people who are not experienced; we hire people who are qualified; we offer interns [sic] for college students who have energy; we help volunteers find their best match.
MEG-TESOL currently has more than 2000 ESL teaching positions in 60 countries

1- they flood Craigslist with ads. Of course, CL is free, so it costs them nothing but time to do this.

2 - they claim to have 2000 jobs in 60 countries. Still, with all these supposed jobs, no one knows who they are.

3 - take a look at the nature of the jobs. One asks for someone to teach IELTS, 10 hours a week for $10 - $12 an hour. Any takers on that one? Some of their "jobs" offer near volunteer level pay.

My guess is that they are either a front agency seeking lower paid workers or even near volunteers, or some process for attempting to pull in students for a very low level (or even fake) TESOL provider. Some of their ads lean heavily on the ability to train for jobs.

There are some very shady TESOL providers out there you know. We have one on CMT8 that just copies the cert from a very second rate provider in the states, along with the program. The provider in the states does not seem to care, although they will state (if pressed) that the program is not associated with them (despite using the same name and even the signature of the head guy in the states). They don't seem motivated to do anything about it though.

Like everything here, be prepared for it to be bs. I had a friend who actually taught at this particular fake TESOL provider (the one I referenced, not saying this one we are discussing in this thread relates to this one on CMT8, I doubt it does). He knew it was bull, but they did pay the wages, so even though something is mostly a scam, it can still be real in some way. Scams can make money for the guys who are on the right side of the deal. If it works for you, fine, just always be prepared to be disappointed.
mark_in_saigon

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:22 am    Post subject: anyone interested in these folks Reply with quote

http://vietnam.craigslist.org/edu/

notice how this "company" is taking over the education section on CL here in VN with ads. Of course, this is a blatant violation of CL's rules, but there is no enforcement here, we suffer thru the same scamming on housing ads as well. Anyway, if anyone has any question, it seems pretty obvious that this is total bs. Any real organization would at least be a bit more subtle. Notice every ad is almost exactly the same. They really seem to be trying to get "volunteers", they probably get some payment for each volunteer that takes the bait and comes over. If anyone has actually gotten in on this deal, please let us know what happened. With all these supposed jobs (2000 in 60 countries), surely someone can give us the lowdown. My guess is that it is not pretty.
kurtz

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hot Paying Jobs In Vietnam (Kien Giang) - known for fishing and rice farming

we offer interns for college students who are energy - no need to be human

Citizens of US,UK, Canada, Autralia and South Africa - Where is Autralia? Is part of the old Soviet Union?

If you meet the entire requirement - Wow, that sounds hard.

Salary from 600USD-700USD ( perfect for non-experiencce and college graduates) - Sounds fantastic.

Native Speakers from US, UK, Canada, and Australia. - Sorry Saffers, we don't like your gutteral accent.

Run Very Happy

http://vietnam.craigslist.org/edu/3270844865.html
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kurtz wrote:

Salary from 600USD-700USD ( perfect for non-experiencce and college graduates)

Laughing run
curbcrawler

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

search is your friend

http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=98820&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plumpy nut wrote:
kurtz wrote:

Salary from 600USD-700USD ( perfect for non-experiencce and college graduates)

Laughing run

Run very fast!

I contacted them by email & phone. I was offered to be met and taken to a school over 2 hours away... On very short notice. no questions asked and they offered me a ob, sight unseen.

Very few details at first, as I said that I wanted to only teach teens and adults, NO kids... So I ask her what books the school uses and she starts to ramble off a list of common kids books used here in VN for ages 5-10... I told I don't teach (baby-sit) classes of 30 screaming kids with no TA for about 10 bucks an hour...

She kept begging me to meet her and just go visit the school... Ohhhhh room provided, I can just imagine a roach infested hovel with a squat toilet and a rusty lock on the door...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: