Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Live abroad, send passport home for visa?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Javelin of Radiance

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

theoriginalprankster wrote:
It could work. I'm in China with RP in current passport (one page left).

I could send my new passport to SA via DHL, apply for a Biz/Tourist visa in that, have it sent back to me via DHL, then exit China on old passport, re-enter on new passport.

Simple enough, really.

You hold two valid passports from the same country at the same time?
Mr. English

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I was in China, remained in China while the passport was out of my hands, and used an agent in China. The passport came back after three weeks with a visa issued by the Chinese consulate in Los Angeles. I picked it up from the agent in Shenzhen and immediately did a run to Hong Kong; it was smiles all the way.
theoriginalprankster

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Javelin of Radiance wrote:
theoriginalprankster wrote:
It could work. I'm in China with RP in current passport (one page left).

I could send my new passport to SA via DHL, apply for a Biz/Tourist visa in that, have it sent back to me via DHL, then exit China on old passport, re-enter on new passport.

Simple enough, really.

You hold two valid passports from the same country at the same time?

Indeed I do. I was travelling a lot a couple years ago and told the lady at home affairs in Johannesburg that as the old one was nearly finished I'd like to reapply for a new one while I was in SA for a vacation. I got a new one.

I've used the old one to exit China and the new one to enter Taiwan on three occasions.

Maybe it's on of those 3rd World luck of the draw things. Anyway, the old one is all but done - one page left, has my current RP in it and if I don't renew with my current uni I will go onto a Biz visa to stay on in China a bit longer to finish up some things.

Fair enough, innit?
MNguy

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since when does the US not stamp a passport upon arrival?
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my country (not US), Immigration stamp my passport, although I go through a returning residents channel so it's not a big queue or anything.
As my home country social welfare benefits expire if I'm out of country for more than 6m it is important for me to be able to show my departures and arrivals if requested.
Be interested to see something definitive on US situation.
rogerwilco

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MNguy wrote:

My US passport is 8 years old, and I have returned to the US at least 10 times in those 8 years. Not even one entry or exit stamp in my passport.
MNguy

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rogerwilco wrote:
MNguy wrote:

My US passport is 8 years old, and I have returned to the US at least 10 times in those 8 years. Not even one entry or exit stamp in my passport.

Mine is two years old and I have two entry stamps.
MotherF

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My US passport is 9 years old. During those nine years I have travelled only between Mexico and the US, via air. My passport only has Mexican entry stamps in it--nothing esle. No US entry nor exit stamps and no Mexican exit stamps. My previous passport, which is still in my possession since I renewed it abroad, has one US entry stamp in it though I had come and gone many times during the ten years I had that passport.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MNguy wrote:

I don't know. They don't stamp upon exit though.

I spent last October scouring my US passport for all the US stamps since I had to list the times I was in the US and I was missing about 4 entry stamps. I knew I had gone to the US though since I went back to visit. So either they rubbed off or they didn't stamp it. Or another country covered it with a visa.

MotherF wrote:
My US passport is 9 years old. During those nine years I have travelled only between Mexico and the US, via air. My passport only has Mexican entry stamps in it--nothing esle. No US entry nor exit stamps and no Mexican exit stamps. My previous passport, which is still in my possession since I renewed it abroad, has one US entry stamp in it though I had come and gone many times during the ten years I had that passport.

Wow, that's odd. I found that in recent years I've gotten stamps, but earlier on I hadn't.

I think they should stamp upon entry and exit though.
hooplehead

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isitts wrote:
naturegirl321 wrote:
The only way around the six month thing is if you leave and hand in your residence card and come back. Problem is that in theory it will work, in practice it doesn't, since you have to be a resident or Korean citizen, in order to get a CHinese visa here.

Yeah, but I mean how is anyone going to have six months left on their visa? Get a new job and then break contract less than six months in? Other people have transitioned from other foreign countries to China. Did they all have to go home first?

Also, didn't you mention your current visa expires end of February? Isn't that well over six months from now?

(Sorry, I don't mean to burden this thread with my dumb questions, but I am curious about logistics of this sort of transition. And it seems you've lined up a job way further in advance than most and it's still not making the deadline. Just a little confused on that.)

I'm also in Korea and just got my Chinese Z-visa for an International School in China. I have less than 6 months on my Korean work visa (ARC) and wasn't an issue. Health check at a Korean hospital using the Chinese form, submitted my documents to my school, the lady at the school sent me an invitation, submitted my docs to the Consulate in Seoul, visa 4 days later.

I'm pretty sure the six-month rule is only if you want a travel visa to China.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hooplehead wrote:
I'm also in Korea and just got my Chinese Z-visa for an International School in China. I have less than 6 months on my Korean work visa (ARC) and wasn't an issue. Health check at a Korean hospital using the Chinese form, submitted my documents to my school, the lady at the school sent me an invitation, submitted my docs to the Consulate in Seoul, visa 4 days later.

Really? I'll PM you, none of the travel agents I talked to would help.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok! After a couple of funny phone calls, being hung up on and other things, I found a place that will help. The reqs are different for TOURIST visas and WORK visas.

chinavisa8.com has info

TOURIST visas: you need more than 6 months on your ARC.
WORK visas: no such req. Just need the docs.

So yea! I can apply in KOrea! Still need to use an agent for the baby's birth cert back in the US, but everything else can be done here.
isitts

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

naturegirl321 wrote:
Ok! After a couple of funny phone calls, being hung up on and other things, I found a place that will help. The reqs are different for TOURIST visas and WORK visas.

chinavisa8.com has info

So yea! I can apply in KOrea! Still need to use an agent for the baby's birth cert back in the US, but everything else can be done here.

Ok then. Good to know. Smile
isitts

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hooplehead wrote:
isitts wrote:
naturegirl321 wrote:
The only way around the six month thing is if you leave and hand in your residence card and come back. Problem is that in theory it will work, in practice it doesn't, since you have to be a resident or Korean citizen, in order to get a CHinese visa here.

Yeah, but I mean how is anyone going to have six months left on their visa? Get a new job and then break contract less than six months in? Other people have transitioned from other foreign countries to China. Did they all have to go home first?

Thanks, hooplehead!
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isitts wrote:
naturegirl321 wrote:

chinavisa8.com has info

Ok then. Good to know. Smile

Actually, when I emailed them they said this,
"I can help you to get a Z-working but if your arc is no longer than 6 months is a little difficult to get a visa recently.could you tell me how long dose your ARC left? And what 's your nationality ?
Wang 010-9809-4289

CTS Travel Agency"

Then they said that they could help me when I applied in November. That being said, rules just changed this MOnday. So I might just send them home anyways. Because "a little difficult" sounds like practically impossible to me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: