Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching in Ecuador
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When would you lose fluent on?

DebMer, no idea. I've never heard of the CSET.

Ok, I looked it up: California exam? For IL, I had to do Praxis and ACTFL. ACTFL consisted solely of speaking. Praxis was listening, culture, grammar. I bombed the culture. Listening was super easy.
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
When would you use fluent on?
I assume...

He is fluent on the topic of culture in Latin America.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
DebMer

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

naturegirl321 wrote:
When would you lose fluent on?

DebMer, no idea. I've never heard of the CSET.

Ok, I looked it up: California exam? For IL, I had to do Praxis and ACTFL. ACTFL consisted solely of speaking. Praxis was listening, culture, grammar. I bombed the culture. Listening was super easy.

What did the culture portion consist of? When you say you bombed it, does that mean you didn't pass the overall test, or didn't pass the culture portion, or passed the culture, but by the skin of your teeth?
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got in the 90s percentile range for the whole test. For culture, I don-t remember, its' been a while, over 6 years. SOmething like, what country is this city in? WHat culture did ABC come from? What year was X founded? I don't rememebr. Though I-m sure your library would have info on it. Or you could find a study guide online.

I didn't study at all. Went in cold turkey. Came out with a 90 something percent.

Last edited by naturegirl321 on Thu May 17, 2012 4:28 am; edited 1 time in total
DebMer

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

naturegirl321 wrote:
I got in the 90% for the whole test. For culture, I don-t remember, its' been a while, over 6 years. SOmething like, what country is this city in? WHat culture did ABC come from? What year was X founded? I don't rememebr. Though I-m sure your library would have info on it. Or you could find a study guide online.

I didn't study at all. Went in cold turkey. Came out with a 90 something percent.

Thanks, Nature Girl. 90% is impressive, especially for going in cold. I looked over a sample of the DELE, and was able to get reading comp practice questions at 100%, and am certain I would do fine on the spoken and listening portions, but have never done academic writing in Spanish and it's been some time since I've even done it in English. Checked out some CSET sample materials, and got 100% on the grammar stuff, but had no idea about the content of the theories they mentioned in some of the questions. There are areas I'd need to bone up on if I ever chose to take a standardized test to teach Spanish.
DebMer

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

naturegirl321 wrote:
I got in the 90% for the whole test. For culture, I don-t remember, its' been a while, over 6 years. SOmething like, what country is this city in? WHat culture did ABC come from? What year was X founded? I don't rememebr. Though I-m sure your library would have info on it. Or you could find a study guide online.

Thanks, Nature Girl. 90% is impressive, especially for going in cold. I looked over a sample of the DELE, and was able to get reading comp practice questions at 100%, and am certain I would do fine on the spoken and listening portions, but have never done academic writing in Spanish and it's been some time since I've even done it in English. Checked out some CSET sample materials, and got 100% on the grammar stuff, but had no idea about the content of the theories they mentioned in some of the questions. There are areas I'd need to bone up on if I ever chose to take a standardized test to teach Spanish.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guy, I stand corrected Embarassed

DebMer. Just take the exams. I don't think it's that much. I'll have to check my exact score. It wasn't90% exactly, but in the 90s, so I guess that's even better!
DebMer

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

naturegirl321 wrote:
Guy, I stand corrected Embarassed

DebMer. Just take the exams. I don't think it's that much. I'll have to check my exact score. It wasn't90% exactly, but in the 90s, so I guess that's even better!

I'll probably buy a practice book or something if I decide to do it. I'd hate to pay the money for the test only to have to repeat it. I assume failing one section would mean a repeat.
MotherF

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

naturegirl321 wrote:

For me, fluency would be when my Spanish is on par with my English.

That's never going to happen--not for you or anyone. Unless for some strange reason a person spoke to the exact same people in English and Spanish, read the exact same texts in English and Spanish, watched the exact same movies and programs in both languages, listened to the exact same music and radio broadcasts. Basically repeated every single thing they did in both languages all day every day.
If you do any study at all on bilingualism you will realise that not even people like your child will have the same ablities in both (or all) of her languages. The idea of a balanced bilingual is a myth that doesn't exsist. Bilingualism is fluid, it ebbs and tides through out a person's life. Their dominate language can change as their routines and living situations change. As we grow we encounter new domains, and in those domains we use one or the other language.
Fluent is a tricky word, because there is no standard measure--Most profesional linguists who study the phenomna of bilingualism-not those who teach foriegn languages--define fluent as the ablity to effective use a language in a give situation. Using that definition, I know a lot of people who are fluent in Market Spanish. But not fluent in other domains of use.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MotherF wrote:
naturegirl321 wrote:

For me, fluency would be when my Spanish is on par with my English.

That's never going to happen--not for you or anyone. Unless for some strange reason a person spoke to the exact same people in English and Spanish, read the exact same texts in English and Spanish, watched the exact same movies and programs in both languages, listened to the exact same music and radio broadcasts. Basically repeated every single thing they did in both languages all day every day.
If you do any study at all on bilingualism you will realise that not even people like your child will have the same ablities in both (or all) of her languages. The idea of a balanced bilingual is a myth that doesn't exsist. Bilingualism is fluid, it ebbs and tides through out a person's life. Their dominate language can change as their routines and living situations change. As we grow we encounter new domains, and in those domains we use one or the other language.
Fluent is a tricky word, because there is no standard measure--Most profesional linguists who study the phenomna of bilingualism-not those who teach foriegn languages--define fluent as the ablity to effective use a language in a give situation. Using that definition, I know a lot of people who are fluent in Market Spanish. But not fluent in other domains of use.

I know. I guess I consider fluent to be bilingual. And I'll never be bilingual. So I'll never be fluent.
MotherF

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

naturegirl321 wrote:

I know. I guess I consider fluent to be bilingual. And I'll never be bilingual. So I'll never be fluent.

You're selling yourself and others short by maintaining that view point instead of paying attention to what neuroscience now tells us.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I have really high standards. My grammar is far from perfect, especially in subjunctive tenses. It's simply my opinion that I'm not fluent.
ForProgress

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:42 pm    Post subject: Stealing my forum back Reply with quote

Hey all,

I'm going to try and steal my forum back here Smile So, I should have specified exactly what I'm trying to do. Which is this:

Spend a year abroad in Ecuador the cheapest way possible while simultaneously working on my Spanish, and getting involved with the community.

That being said, I've found a LOT of different volunteer opportunities that allow me to do this. Now my only problem is being able to tell if the organizations are real or not. My main concern now is one called Ecuador Volunteer Foundation. It's the most inexpensive I have found (at roughly 1,000 dollars for an entire year, not including airfare)... but I'm a little cautious b/c every other program costs like $5-6 thousand. Any thoughts!?
HLJHLJ

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That seems very cheap, do you have a link to the programme?
kona

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Stealing my forum back Reply with quote

ForProgress wrote:
Hey all,

I'm going to try and steal my forum back here Smile So, I should have specified exactly what I'm trying to do. Which is this:

Spend a year abroad in Ecuador the cheapest way possible while simultaneously working on my Spanish, and getting involved with the community.

That being said, I've found a LOT of different volunteer opportunities that allow me to do this. Now my only problem is being able to tell if the organizations are real or not. My main concern now is one called Ecuador Volunteer Foundation. It's the most inexpensive I have found (at roughly 1,000 dollars for an entire year, not including airfare)... but I'm a little cautious b/c every other program costs like $5-6 thousand. Any thoughts!?

I've never been to Ecuador so take everything I say with a grain of salt. If they are asking money up front than more than likely they are a scam. It's important to remember that a lot of non-profits in south america are actually for-profit enterprises that take advantage of naive, idealistic gringos. Your intentions seem good so probably best not to patronize such establishments. If I were you, I'd come down to SA, then look for some volunteer opportunities. You might even be able to create your own, maybe something like a film club or help some young college students learn something about cinema. Local universities may be the best places for looking into that. This is more realistic and probably more productive than any sort of "feel good" volunteer gig that you'll find online.

Hostels are cheap in quito and surrounding areas, so I don't think it'd be a problem for you to just come down and post up at a hostel for a couple weeks, then you can look for more long term accommodation. if you do a google search of "departamentos compartidos quito" you can find all sorts of shared accommodations for pretty cheap (prices seem to be $100-$200+ a month). You may need to find a bilingual person to help you navigate housing once you're there, but it shouldn't be too hard; from what I've heard, ecuador has a lot of english schools and people learning english so you should be able to find someone to help you (couchsurfing.org will be invaluable here).

Hope this helps,

kona

p.s. naturegirl, don't be so dismissive of your spanish ability. if you can communicate and be understood then thats a big junk of being "bilingual". I always tell that to my students that are learning english; communication and intelligibility is the key to being bilingual. Theres still quite a bit of English words that I'm still unfamiliar with, and its my first language!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: