Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Russian Visa's

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrstphr87340

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 2:09 am    Post subject: Russian Visa's Reply with quote

I am planning on doing my CELTA in Moscow next summer, and then planning on trying to find a job. However, reading up on the visa situation, I am unsure of something. After I got my CELTA and got a job with a language school, would I have to fly back to the States and then back to Russia? Or would I be able to fly over for the CELTA and just stay?
smithrn1983

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By next summer, do you mean 2012 or 2013? Anyway, anything we tell you now is likely to be inaccurate. The visa laws are bound to change at least a half dozen times between now and the time you do your course Confused
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yip, that's true, what smithern said. But there are vague rumours of slim possibilities of Americans being able to go to Kiev to process Russian visas. As ever though, only God knows for sure...
Chrstphr87340

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for replies, I think I should have phrased my question another way- Do you think it would be best for me to do the CELTA in the US and then try to find a job in Russia, or should I just do the CELTA in Russia and then try to find a job while I'm already there?
coledavis

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you talking about actually getting a job, then I don't think it matters too much. Once you have your CELTA from the USA, then you should certainly get your year in a Macschool before then looking for something better.

However, the visa issue is a different matter. It is my understanding that you have to apply from within your country of residence (i.e. US). However, as usual with Russia, it is easy to be proved wrong in individual cases. Sorry, I know nothing about whether or not you can get one in Kiev. Seems dodgy though.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know, the BKC Celta programme is used by BKC to recruit new teachers. They pick the best teachers from the course and employ them afterwards. Not sure if this involves a return home, so it may be better to ask them directly. Say you are interested in working for them when you get Celtaed up. Can't hurt.

Otherwise, as Cole says, the visa issue will dominate all.
Grenouille

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My understanding of this situation is that you will come to Russia with a student visa (obtained at a Russian embassy in US) valid for 3 months. Then when the CELTA course in Moscow is finished, if you're going to start working for BKC as a teacher, you will have to leave Russia to apply at an embassy for a teaching visa. This can possibly be done at an embassy in a nearby country, instead of going back to the US, but as has already been stated, the rules often change so you won't really be sure of where you can get the teaching visa until you're here for CELTA. BKC will offer advice and help you get your teaching visa, but you will be liable for all travelling expenses regardless of whether you go back to the US for this or to another country. BKC will reimburse you for cost of the teaching visa (not immediately, you have to wait).
ancient_dweller

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
you should certainly get your year in a Macschool before then looking for something better

There are alternatives to Mcshools. You just have to search for schools on yandex and send them your CV.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: