Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Short term jobs in thailand

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
j.dickens97

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 9:44 am    Post subject: Short term jobs in thailand Reply with quote

I'm curious if anyone out there has any experience with short term work in Thailand. I know it's possible but it seems a little difficult to find. My girlfriend and I would like to go to Thailand early January 2013 and we need to leave late April or Early May. Does this seem like a possibility?

Alternatively, Any thoughts on where we should try to find short term work? We are open to just about anywhere but preference goes to S.E. Asia or South America.

Thanks.
tttompatz

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Short term jobs in thailand Reply with quote

j.dickens97 wrote:
I'm curious if anyone out there has any experience with short term work in Thailand. I know it's possible but it seems a little difficult to find. My girlfriend and I would like to go to Thailand early January 2013 and we need to leave late April or Early May. Does this seem like a possibility?

Alternatively, Any thoughts on where we should try to find short term work? We are open to just about anywhere but preference goes to S.E. Asia or South America.

Thanks.

You want to go in January.
The school year ends in February and starts again in mid May.
There are literally tens of thousands of backpackers trying to extend their stay in the sun instead of going home to the cold they came from.

December through mid March are the absolute worst time to be looking for work in Thailand.

Your chances of finding anything other than part-time piece work at some of the more dodgy language academies are slim.

You can also add to the mix the fact that those who are considered to NOT be native speakers (anyone not holding a passport from: USA, UK, Canada, NZ and Australia) are also required to have a valid TOEIC / TOEFL / IELTS score to get a visa and typically get paid in the 15-20k THB/month range instead of the 35k THB range of a native speaker.

Sorry to rain on your parade.

sigmoid

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phnom Penh, Cambodia might be a better option in terms of short-term teaching work. Do your research first, though... it's not for everybody.
Eagle Eyes

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Short term work in Thailand is available. Expect a lot of volunteer work available all year round for EFL teachers. There are literally thousands of English language teachers (certified or not) looking for paid teaching work during this time so if you don't mind volunteering from January to May your chances of finding short term work are possible.. Good luck in your search! Smile
MaiPenRai

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
so if you don't mind volunteering from January to May your chances of finding short term work are possible.

Absolutely no need to go the volunteer route and I would suggest against it. Read previous posts about volunteer teaching to see my reasons why.

There will be some jobs around that time but the key is that you wont be able to be picky and you will need some good timing and luck. Also as I expect you want to work together, this will also be an issue. You may need to be flexible with your timing as well.

Get in contact with some agencies before you leave. Keep in contact with them throughout your trip. Get a phone to make it easier/faster. Often "teachers" in Thailand get homesick near Xmas and New Year and decide to jump ship. This will make short term openings available. However, you will most likely have to be flexible about locations in Thailand and may not be able to find work for both of you in the same city/town.

As Tom said, the school year will end in late Feb/early March so most agencies and schools wont bother getting you legal paperwork like the Non-Imm B Visa and work permit which means you will have to arrange and organize your own tourist Visas and you will have to work illegally.

If you want to be in Bangkok, than you will most likely be stuck working for 300 baht/hour at crappy language schools if you are lucky and still have the same problem of finding work for 2 people in the same area.

Best of luck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: