Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

AMIDEAST ERBIL,IRAQ

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
feetgoingsomewherespecial

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 9:35 pm    Post subject: AMIDEAST ERBIL,IRAQ Reply with quote

I would strongly suggest not working for these people. Amideast is actually a good organization that has some excellent local people as well as the occasional foreign one. It has a lot of potential in Erbil due to the efforts of some staff, but their management (husband and wife) team, who invent 'policies' and 'procedures' as they go along unmitigated, make decisions that are largely indicative of the size of their own egos and they are strongly lacking in sincerity, diplomacy and professionalism. Until that changes, I would advise saving yourself the trouble of subjecting yourself to the emotionally-exhausting procedure of working there.
safarer30

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 5:44 am    Post subject: deja vu??? Reply with quote

Hi feetgoingsomewhere,

Did you work there? It sounds as if you did.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I did. My complaints regard the unfortunate and inappropriate treatment of staff by the management at this organization throughout the time I was there and the results of this. I have expended enough energy at this point on this matter and have made my list of grievances known to those in charge and now wish to direct my energy towards other things, however this stands as a warning to future employees considering working at this particular Amideast. Unless an intervention is made, an employee may sadly encounter unecessary snideness and nastiness on a daily basis, complied with the fact that there is a conflict of interest regarding the issue of power in this organization at the moment. When one works for a husband and wife team and they are unable to separate their personal issues and extreme need for personal gain from the work involved and this dynamic is not intercepted, one can expect not only to feel upset but as well that the organization will function at a substandard level and disrupt the goals of the organization. One can also expect that their contribution and the contributions of others will not be acknowledged in this atmosphere after much hard work and for a great deal of ridiculousness and tyrrany to ensue. Sigh...sad but true. My advice is to take your skills and passion elsewhere until the matter is resolved. I have now fortunately washed my hands of this situation and am, at present, "going somewhere special" rather than somewhere hostile. Hallelujah for that.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you haven't done so already, I would communicate my complaints to the AMIDEAST office in Washington DC and to the Middle East Director, who I believe is in Cairo - or at least used to be.

The key in a case like this is to give them concrete examples.

VS

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, there's there's no shortage of examples, unfortunately...which have, as my post communicated earlier, been directed to the appropriate people. And, I do not stand alone on these matters. Whether or not anyone does anything about these grievances at this point is up to them. Warning to prospective employees has now been given and I've said my peace.
lexpat

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 3:27 am    Post subject: AMIDEAST Reply with quote

Well. I've met the couple that run the school and I think they are motivated by a desire to stay in charge, do as little as possible, and then take the money and run. It's an NGO....but the people at the top don't seem the NGO type at all. I do know they don't want to teach kids, and that's probably what the market could use them for. But they don't want the hassle...

They really aren't very nice, but at least the house for teachers looks good. Kind of a crazy situation since its being run by a couple who just want to get paid, save and go. If it were for profit they would care about something other than appearances. But its not...

Still, the standard in Kurdistan is pretty low. I'm not so sure it would be terrible place to work. At least you could get an NGO type posting in a dangerous place on you CV. Good for that!

Oh, and Amideast doesn't really pay like a middle east uni. You'd need to want that line in yr CV. Good place for college age careerist who isn't interested in teaching (you'd get along with the managers)
safarer30

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:58 pm    Post subject: AmidEast Erbil Reply with quote

It's sad to see that not much has changed since last year's controversial ESL Cafe posts about the management there. Good luck to the departing and another warning to those who consider working at the institution.
sliim

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What? Management who "invent 'policies' and 'procedures' as they go along unmitigated, making decisions that are largely indicative of the size of their own egos" and "strongly lacking in sincerity, diplomacy and professionalism."

In the ME? I'm shocked!
safarer30

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sliim wrote:
What? Management who "invent 'policies' and 'procedures' as they go along unmitigated, making decisions that are largely indicative of the size of their own egos" and "strongly lacking in sincerity, diplomacy and professionalism."

In the ME? I'm shocked!

Come on, it's perhaps one thing to expect this behavior from Middle Easterners (maybe), but it's absolutely unacceptable to expect this behavior from fellow North Americans. AmidEast has always been an org that I have deeply respected and admired, but I must repeat what I said a year ago, "Corporate should start doing exit interviews." Sorry it took a full year for others to concur.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: