Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lithuania Christian College
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
flyingcolours

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:34 am    Post subject: Lithuania Christian College Reply with quote

http://www.lcc.lt/

Anybody in the know about them?
PattyFlipper

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure this is the same outfit to which I applied a couple of years ago, in response to an advertisement for faculty and managerial staff. The bottom line then was that they weren't paying anything. No salary,stipend, or allowance. Nothing. Zilch. Nada. You were somehow expected to fund your employment with them. You also had to be a 'committed Christian' (in their words), and preferably with the same beliefs as the sect/cult which runs the place.

One to avoid unless they have drastically changed their HR and hiring policies.
spiral78

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now, that's the lowest of the low Surprised
Who in the heck would work for such an outfit?
Dedicated

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can confirm what PattyFlipper has written as recently as summer 2011.
There is no salary - they feel one should pay for the "privilege" of working there. Goodness knows what standards they manage to maintain for the students!
spiral78

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picture the bored spouses of native speakers gainfully employed in the region volunteering to help Enlighten the Lithuanians... Rolling Eyes

But perhaps I'm just being cynical.

Well, and I've known a few missionary-type 'teachers' along the way.....

Have just checked it out and, they've got a very swift website....
probably lots of money left over from student fees, if nothing is going to the teaching staff!!

Apparently their entire ELT programme is Headway-based - they'd have to pay me quite a lot just to endure that bit!!
artemisia

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, here it is from the horse's mouth: go onto their "external funding model" link to check what you have to cover financially. What students have to pay is under "Funding".

(It's certainly interesting what's listed under "campus resources". It all sounds like rather state-of-the-art facilities).
Quote:
External Funding model
Considering the financial implications is an important part of serving with LCC. In order to offer an affordable education that is accessible to all students, LCC faculty and staff positions are currently not salaried positions. The university works with prospective faculty and staff to identify and help create funding networks to meet their budgets while serving at LCC.
Currently, approximately 15 percent of expatriate faculty and staff have partial or full funding through external organizations like mission agencies and foundations. Another 30 percent of expatriates have developed a funding network through their church, family and friends. At the present time, LCC provides support towards travel and housing expenses for members of the teaching faculty.
The basic costs for an assignment at LCC include: travel, housing, a living allowance, long-term visa, and medical insurance.
MORE INFORMATION
If you are would like to learn more about the external funding model, please review our 'Developing Your Funding Plan' handbook. Although this handbook is more specifically for individuals who have already accepted an invitation to serve on the faculty or staff, the information is also useful for those who are in the process of making a decision. Click here to go to the handbooks section.

Quote:
Funding
LCC International University as a private institution does not receive financial support from the government. To cover the cost of education at our university, we have to charge some fees to our students. Yet we seek to make our education available to everyone by charging less than the total cost for a student to attend LCC. Donations of time from LCC staff and money from individuals and organizations within North America make it possible for LCC to keep fees low.
LCC international university offers a number of possibilities to help you pay for your studies, such as employment on campus and summer work programs abroad as well as financial aid.
Tuition fees are calculated by the number of credit hours taken.
Course tuition (6 credits) - 880.50 LTL (EUR 255.01)
Tuition per academic year - 8805 LTL (EUR 2550.10)*
Intensive English Program (IEP) per academic year - 4402.50 LTL (EUR 1275.05)
* In a typical academic year, a student takes ten 6-credit courses
Tuition is the same for international students from Latvia, Poland, Estonia, Russian Federation, Kazakhstan, Belarus, Ukraine, Albania, Armenia, Uzbekistan, Moldova, Czech Republic, Hungary, and Slovak Republic.
spiral78

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, this is clearly a highly successful business model....
PattyFlipper

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
Well, this is clearly a highly successful business model....

Indeed. Headway and unsalaried faculty and administrators sounds like a rip-roaring recipe for success. So successful that at around the time I applied, they had to run the same advertisement several times. Obviously not enough philanthropists or 'committed Christians' around to take up their sterling employment opportunities. Even the email sent out to responding applicants had a somewhat sheepish tone to it .......

Barge-pole. Ten foot. Touch. Not.
scot47

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"We will give you a job but leave it to you to find someone who will pay the salary." Now I have seen everything.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A ex colleague of mine was looking into their programme back in 2005. She thought the same that other posters have written.
westy

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by westy on Sat May 03, 2014 8:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would they accept committed Marxists?
artemisia

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I expect by asking for "committed Christians" they're hoping to attract the non complaining who are willing (even eager) to get by on next to nothing, and are ready to thank the college for such an amazing opportunity.

I very much doubt this fits the profile of the average TEFLer (non complainers would be a remote possibility). It might fit well with a committed Marxist ready and willing to share and not own anything for the greater good. Of course, there would be the pesky issue of expecting to have an equal share in the fruits of all those labours... Still, you could become a crusader in your own right.

Some TEFLers probably would be willing to compromise and volunteer services if the payoff were to be fantastic surroundings, wonderful weather, enough to get by on and a relaxed lifestyle. I suspect Lithuania doesn't really match that description.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think i'd like to apply and suggest my ideas for nationalising all their resources for a more equitable society based on helping your neighbour. Sound OK?
artemisia

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I understand. You mean it�s best to take command (in a Marxist sort of way, of course) and assist them with the redistribution of their considerable resources. Naturally this wouldn�t be for the purpose of lining your own pockets, but a little neighbourly sharing & helping wouldn�t go amiss either.

They�ll understand all this, too. They know all about the full exploitation of resources. : )
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: