Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
westy

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 9:38 am    Post subject: ..... Reply with quote

Last edited by westy on Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:02 am; edited 1 time in total
helenl

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While there, he decided to visit Israel, overland. Since he had his Jordanian entry stamp in his passport, he had the exit stamp from Jordan, both entry and exit stamps from Israel, and his reentry stamp into Jordan stamped on a piece of paper

Sorry but what's hard to understand, it was there in his passport wasn't it (or am I misreading what you have written)?

Most people in the know avoid the overland border crossings for exactly this reason, if one arrives in Israel by air, the immigration people are willing to stamp the visa on a separate piece of paper, therefore leaving the passport "clean" Border crossings generally won't.
westy

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by westy on Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:04 am; edited 1 time in total
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is the only possibility that I can see... either that or they will allow no one to visit Jordan anymore.

VS
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Israel visit and passport stamp question Reply with quote

westy wrote:
My question is, how did the Saudi authorities know about the Israel visit? Could the Jordanian authorities have tipped off the Saudis somehow? Would they really do that?

I'm concerned about this.

It certainly could be that the Jordanians and Saudis share info. Or maybe the Saudis checked up on his whereabouts via a database that tracks his passport number with airline flights. Who knows. What's done is done.

I understand you're interested in teaching in the Kingdom and may already be here. Are you concerned because you also intend to visit Israel?
scot47

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may have escaped your notice but a state of war exists between the State of Israel and the states of the Arab World. What reaction do you expect if you are foolish enough to visit Israel while working in KSA ?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes... but the question is how did KSA "know" that he had visited if it wasn't in his passport. My question would really be whether they are going to do this to anyone who visits Jordan.

VS
scot47

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:37 pm    Post subject: Informants Reply with quote

People tell tales.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since the person was caught at the airport on return... it would have to be the Jordanians... or the Israelis...

VS
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect there may be more to this situation than what's been presented. And since the deportee isn't here posting his own account of the story...
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

true...

But if the post is true, rather scary. I guess we will have to wait and see if someone reports the same thing happening again.

VS
scot47

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All States take an interest in wht residents and citizens get up to and were they travel. If you were living in the US and travelled to Cuba do you thibnk Uncle Sam might be interested. Sure he would !
johnslat

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear scot47,

Travel to Cuba's a lot more common thee days:

"Road Scholar is authorized to travel to Cuba under OFAC License #CT-17843. The operation of September 2012 to July 2013 departures is subject to the renewal of this license. Round trip charter flight from Miami to Cuba is included."

http://www.roadscholar.org/n/program/summary.aspx?id=1-5SYY5E

Regards,
John
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:
All States take an interest in wht residents and citizens get up to and were they travel. If you were living in the US and travelled to Cuba do you thibnk Uncle Sam might be interested. Sure he would !

Apples and Oranges Scot...

According to the evidence in writing in his passport (per the OP), he visited Jordan - which should be allowed by the Saudis. Rather different than having Cuba stamped in your passport when you return to the US.

For YEARS there have been people working in the Arab countries who visited Israel via Jordan using the option of having the stamps on a piece of paper to avoid passport evidence. I know dozens of them.

If this story is true, people in the ME who want to visit will require a second passport. And perhaps that will not even work.

VS
(I too used the option of never visiting it)
scot47

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The moral is obvious. If you take the king's shilling, do not consort with his enemies ! I could even give you a New Testamnt quote 'Render unto caesar that which is Caesar's'
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: