Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What package can I expect with my quals and experience?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lord Bafford

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 6:14 am    Post subject: What package can I expect with my quals and experience? Reply with quote

I'm thinking of giving Thailand a go this summer and want to know what kind of terms I can expect?

I have a BA and MA in English literature and 8 months teaching experience in China.

Based on the above, what kind of employment package am I looking at?

Additionally: am I leaving it too late arriving in the middle of summer?

Many thanks,

LB
tttompatz

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: What package can I expect with my quals and experience? Reply with quote

Lord Bafford wrote:
I'm thinking of giving Thailand a go this summer and want to know what kind of terms I can expect?

I have a BA and MA in English literature and 8 months teaching experience in China.

Many thanks,

LB

The school year started 2 weeks ago.

Your options for a July start would be:

i) middle of the 1st term at some government school that couldn't find anyone else yet, (25-32k THB/mo), classes of 50 and no aircon.
ii) language academy (35-40k THB/mo),
iii) temple school (15-20k THB/mo), conditions the same as or worse than a government school or
iv) a replacement for someone who bailed after 6 weeks on the job (wages indeterminate).

Chances of landing a "plum" job at a top school or a position at a university are slim.

Lord Bafford

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: What package can I expect with my quals and experience? Reply with quote

tttompatz wrote:
Lord Bafford wrote:

Many thanks,

LB

The school year started 2 weeks ago.

Your options for a July start would be:

i) middle of the 1st term at some government school that couldn't find anyone else yet, (25-32k THB/mo), classes of 50 and no aircon.
ii) language academy (35-40k THB/mo),
iii) temple school (15-20k THB/mo), conditions the same as or worse than a government school or
iv) a replacement for someone who bailed after 6 weeks on the job (wages indeterminate).

Chances of landing a "plum" job at a top school or a position at a university are slim.

Thanks a lot for your reply.

I think you're right: my lack of experience all but rules me out of any 'plum jobs'.

Those packages you listed are about what I expected would be available.

What I need to know -- considering no air-fare is included in any Thai package -- is the probability of finding a job?

Is it correct that you cannot find a job from abroad; that you have to arrive in Thailand and begin the hunt there?

I'm a little worried about investing in an air ticket and living expenses without knowing my chances.

I really appreciate your input.
tttompatz

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: What package can I expect with my quals and experience? Reply with quote

Lord Bafford wrote:
Thanks a lot for your reply.

I think you're right: my lack of experience all but rules me out of any 'plum jobs'.

Those packages you listed are about what I expected would be available.

What I need to know -- considering no air-fare is included in any Thai package -- is the probability of finding a job?

Is it correct that you cannot find a job from abroad; that you have to arrive in Thailand and begin the hunt there?

I'm a little worried about investing in an air ticket and living expenses without knowing my chances.

I really appreciate your input.

Actually, your poor timing rather than lack of experience is against you for getting a "plum" job.

The chances of finding work will largely depend on your passport.

If you are a native speaker from UK, USA, Can., Aus or NZ the chances of finding (full time) work (in the salary ranges listed above) within 30 days of a July arrival are just about 100% provided you aren't trying to find a job next to the beach or in a popular tourist destination.

Fly in, take a job that pays the bills, make some contacts, build on your experience in the country and next March be looking for something in your field (instead of ESL/EFL). You should be able to land something in the 50-60k THB range at the start of a school year.

Eagle Eyes

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finding an ESL job teaching English in the LOS with an MA or BA degree in English is easy. Money is another issue...expect to earn an average of Baht 30,000 - Baht 35,000 teaching ESL in Bangkok and less up country. Good luck in your search!
MaiPenRai

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Finding an ESL job teaching English in the LOS

This would be basically impossible. There are plenty of EFL jobs though.

Quote:
expect to earn an average of Baht 30,000 - Baht 35,000 teaching ESL in Bangkok and less up country. Good luck in your search!

Standard agency contracts for out of Bangkok are about 30,000. The better ones will offer accomm or an accomm allowance as well. Most will offer a bit more for higher education and/or experience. I wouldn't work for anything less than 30,000 baht/mth outside of Bangkok. In Bangkok you wont want to make anything less than 35,000 and should look to make about 35-40,000/mth to start. Like Tom said, when the peak hiring season comes around and you have a year of experience, you should aim to make about 40-55,000 baht/mth in Bangkok. More if you get private tutoring jobs.

Most of the agencies appear to still be looking to fill positions. At this time of year, you just wont be able to be picky about where you work (if you need the money). I could connect you to any agency that is looking if you are interested (probably about 33-35,000/mth outside of Bangkok). PM me.

Quote:

In most cases yes, BUT there are agencies that will hire you from overseas if you can come on short notice.
Lord Bafford

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for the sterling advice provided!

MaipenRai: I attempted to pm you but 5 posts are required on the board before that is permitted.

I'm not fussy about location so hopefully I can arrange something before I arrive in Thailand.

Thanks again everyone.
sigmoid

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arrow Anybody considering Thailand for work or travel needs to begin following the news out of Bangkok immediately in order to to stay informed about events as they unfold on a daily basis. Exclamation
kazuo62

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP, my experience seeking employment in Thailand isn't unlike yours. I've got an English undegrad degree and a master's in teaching ESL. That, along with eight years of teaching experience, as well as my teaching certification in the USA, isn't enough to pull in a huge volume of responses to the dozens of job applications I've been sending out.
The school year begin. We missed the boat. Plus, we're not in the country. A lot of the expatriates in Thailand have posted again and again that the best jobs often aren't advertised online or available to people outside the country. Because my desire is to build a career teaching in Thailand (i.e. I'm not headed out there just for a year of work/travel/fun), I am likely going to accept one of the lower-paying (and potentially unwanted by those who know better) jobs that are open to us. It seems that getting a foot in the Thailand door is crucial, more so than it is with other EFL destinations. So, good luck to us both!
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard somewhere that Assumption was highering for a position at 80,000 baht. Try Assumption.
Mr. Kalgukshi
Mod Team
Mod Team

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Several off topic postings have been deleted from this thread.

There are boards where threads are regularly permitted to go off topic and members are not held accountable for derailing threads.

This board does not belong to such a group and so derailing threads and posting off topic comments can and often does result in member sanctions.

If similar inappropriate postings appear here again, we will proceed to the "sanctions" level.

In other words, please stay on topic.
Lord Bafford

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kazuo62 wrote:
OP, my experience seeking employment in Thailand isn't unlike yours. I've got an English undegrad degree and a master's in teaching ESL. That, along with eight years of teaching experience, as well as my teaching certification in the USA, isn't enough to pull in a huge volume of responses to the dozens of job applications I've been sending out.
The school year begin. We missed the boat. Plus, we're not in the country. A lot of the expatriates in Thailand have posted again and again that the best jobs often aren't advertised online or available to people outside the country. Because my desire is to build a career teaching in Thailand (i.e. I'm not headed out there just for a year of work/travel/fun), I am likely going to accept one of the lower-paying (and potentially unwanted by those who know better) jobs that are open to us. It seems that getting a foot in the Thailand door is crucial, more so than it is with other EFL destinations. So, good luck to us both!

Indeed, it looks like it's going to be challenging.

But there isn't really much I can do: the Chinese school year doesn't finish until late June so I'm kind of snookered in that regard.

Another potential problem is the required documents. Apparently you may or may not need a CBC for a Thai visa which, if true, would almost completely torpedo my plans. It simply takes too long to obtain.

Could anyone clarify the level of importance of the CBC?
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For Korea only, you need a FBI Criminal Background check. It's a pain in the neck and it has to be notarized (not really a problem, they do it at the FBI headquarters if you ask them to) then has to be apostilled (sent to the secretary of state to confirm it is what it is). It takes a long time (months).

For most other jobs in foreign countries you will have to get a local CBC from your state (they list most misdemeanors from other states as well). It takes a couple of weeks to be processed at the most and then another two weeks to be apostilled. This is difficult to do if you live in another country unless you have people in the USA helping you with this. The main problem being the mail going and coming back through the system of the foriegn country you are in.

Neither FEDEX nor UPS nor DHL allows return envelopes in foriegn countries. FEDEX has an account you can set up for the agency to return using that account, if they are able to do so (the FBI can).

At this point I don't know if Thailand requires apostilles on the state CBC's. I don't think they do. I believe it has to be 6 months recent.
Do not have any documents sent back through the Thai mail system. I recieved my Federal CBC three months after it was processed. No need for that.
tttompatz

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRC may or may not be asked for. It is listed as a requirement but is usually not asked for if you apply for a change of status in Thailand or obtain your non-b in an adjacent country. They ARE required if you are applying for your visa from the consulates in the USA or Canada

State level would be fine (if you are American).
Any CRC is fine if you are from Canada (they all check the same database).
Disclosure Scotland is fine if you are from the UK.
These can be obtained in less than 30 days by mail and often same-day if done in person.

An apostille is NOT required for Thailand. Thailand is NOT a signatory to the apostille treaty.

Lord Bafford

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tttompatz wrote:
CRC may or may not be asked for. It is listed as a requirement but is usually not asked for if you apply for a change of status in Thailand or obtain your non-b in an adjacent country. They ARE required if you are applying for your visa from the consulates in the USA or Canada

State level would be fine (if you are American).
Any CRC is fine if you are from Canada (they all check the same database).
Disclosure Scotland is fine if you are from the UK.
These can be obtained in less than 30 days by mail and often same-day if done in person.

An apostille is NOT required for Thailand. Thailand is NOT a signatory to the apostille treaty.

This is the way I'll have to do it. Although your inclusion of the word "usually" doesn't instill a lot of confidence.

I got a CRC last year and it took months because I was resident in another country. I'll be in the same situation when I return from China so it simply won't be possible to get this done.

With all the potential problems Thailand is proffering maybe I should look elsewhere for my next position?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: