Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Colombia?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Will S

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 6:57 pm    Post subject: Colombia? Reply with quote

Hi,
I just finished posting a few questions on the Argentina board and though I would jump over here and ask those same questions, only about Colombia.

To those of you who are trying for work, or have recently worked in Colombia, I�ve got a few questions but would also be into hearing any general perceptions you may care to share.
I'm curious about what kind of certification is generally preferred. Do employers think more highly of a CELTA, or is it viewed in the same light as other certifications, or even no certification? Any idea of how the level of experience/training affects the rate of pay and opportunities available to you. What kinds of visa issues have you run into, and what kind of work, if any, have you found? What are you making or hope to be making? Is it enough to live on in relative comfort without dipping too heavily into savings?
Any info you would like to pass on would be greatly appreciated. I hope that you're all having pleasant weekends.

Oh, one more thing. I read the recent entry on the Colombia job information journal which is titled something like, "No Jobs in Bogota...For Americans". I was wondering if anyone would care to share their perceptions on any anti-U.S. sentiment in Colombia and how it may be directed towards individuals from the U.S.

Thanks,
Will
Will S

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing to share? at all? En serio?
MELEE

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Sad

There was some talk about Colombia a few weeks back--be sure to check the archives.
nomadder

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IN Bogota now. Nice city though cold and rainy today. In my hostel there`s a posting for an ENglish teacher. May be easy to pick up some work though not sure how many hours involved. I may come back here later to look for work. Lots of people end up hanging out here longer than planned. THat`s all I know right now.
Capergirl

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@nomadder...I was wondering how far you'd travelled. How is Bogota? Let me know when you are going to take a vacay in Eastern Canada, eh? We'll get together for another Timmie's. Wink
nomadder

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confused Laughing Oh no she's found me!
Bogota is very nice. I had no idea. May be meeting up with another Dave's poster here if all goes well and I'll have more info on working here.
Will S

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses, Nomadder. It's nice to hear such positive things about Bogota. I hope that you're having good luck and enjoying yourself. I don't have as steady internet access as I did but look foreward to hearing more about teaching in a place I've heard so many great things about. Chao.
Will
Capergirl

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomadder wrote:
Confused Laughing Oh no she's found me!
Bogota is very nice. I had no idea. May be meeting up with another Dave's poster here if all goes well and I'll have more info on working here.

You can run, but you can't hide! Cool

Meeting another Daveser, huh? I'll drop you an email later and ask lots of questions. I'm nosy like that, eh. Laughing
ClaudeRains

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Will

There were some posts earlier this year about Colombia being the hidden secret of South America. Trouble is, no one down there is talking. I PM'd a few posters on other websites about this issue, but their advice was based on experience over five years ago.

However, this last spring, I had two girls from Colombia in one of my classes. I had read the same post about "Americans need not apply," and I asked them about it. Unfortunately, they confirmed this--and they are in frequent contact with family and friends there. Apparently it has to do with the U.S. government's assistance in the drug war.

Take that for what it's worth--perhaps they were just trying to disappoint their teacher...
mesmerod

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i posted this in the general forum but i think it is more applicable here:

well this seems to be the thread for my scenario....

i am almost 28 years old with a BS mechanical engineering and a MS engineering sciences degrees. and obviously this wont mean squat when it comes to teaching. i've been to south america and really enjoy the culture, people, language, and lifestyle. i am considering doing a CELTA course in Bogota, Colombia this fall. after completing the course i would like to find employment teaching in either Bogota, Medellin, Cali, or Barranquilla for a 3-6 month term. would the fact that i have a BS and an MS degree matter much in that region? i'm wondering if it will at least open up some doors. i have decided that engineering is NOT the career of interest for me and i am desparate to live abroad for a long long time. i enjoy learning foreign languages and i am hoping this is something that will let me be a successful EFL teacher. i guess i would just like some thoughts or comments if anyone has been in a similar position. i have never tought anything in my life, but i do find the prospect of it very challenging and purposeful. thanks
matttheboy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know what the situation is now but when i was teaching in Quito, Ecuador in December i met a representative from the British Council who told me they were desperate for staff and were offering seriously good money and terms. I'm pretty sure the jobs were in Bogata but i can't remember the exact details as i wasn't in the market at that point. The usual British Council bollocks of asking for 2 years experience was not needed (and i don't think it matters in most parts of the world-if they need staff they'll take anyone). Good luck.
Teapata

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 3:03 am    Post subject: reports from a friend, Reply with quote

I haven't been to Colombia since 1993--it is one of my favorite countries though. I am also looking for more info about teaching. Anyway, a friend of mine said she was getting $10 an hour there, though I dont remember if this was private lessons or what. She said that americans were actually in demand because there are none whatsoever there and american english is in demand--this is good for canadians. I am american and didn't have any problems there before but things are worse now. She mentioned that her boyfriend rents a house outside of Bogota for $100 but I don't know how much apartments are, say, in the candelaria which is where I'd like to live. She said that the center and north have been really cleaned up, there are bike lanes, they changed a lot of things the old mayor was quite the urban planner--but of course you have to be super careful.
Anyone know anything?
Leila
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: