Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cyprus

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
james ludwick

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 11:04 am    Post subject: Cyprus Reply with quote

Hi Does anyone have info in regards to teaching opportunities in Cyprus...salaries,schools,requirements,prospects etc? Thanks
Dedicated

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you considering Greek Cyprus or (Turkish) Northern Cyprus?
What are your qualifications? Are you considering university work?
There are several unis in Northern Cyprus currently recruiting.
Dedicated

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have sent you a PM.
megbeth

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,
I'm actually interested in Cyprus info also. I'll be moving to Pathos next year and am interested in part time teaching and have experience in pretty much all areas ie young learners, Uni prep, business, general, exam prep, etc.
Dedicated

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Megbeth,

I guess you meant PAPHOS.

Currently, there is an influx of teachers from mainland Greece who are escaping unemployment, so openings are few and far between. There are also a number of expats, who have bought up property, who snap up any part-time jobs as they are on the ground.

However, here are several websites you could try :

http://www.eslbase.com/schools/cyprus

[/url]http://www.esl-guide.com/dir/cyprus/index.html[url]

[/url]http://www.eduquality.net/school/learn-english-cyprus.asp[url]

Good luck in your search![/url]
maruss

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:47 pm    Post subject: Heed those warnings! Reply with quote

I have lived in Paphos for many years and the work situation here is deteriorating rapidly with the economy in virtual freefall and this area probably the worst affected!Unemployment is also increasing and will only get worse.My sincere advice:think twice about coming to the Greek side of Cyprus at all to look for work for the nextyear or two,even more so in Paphos!Limassol,Larnaca and Nicosia are hardly any better either....
maruss

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:42 pm    Post subject: The Greek-Cypriot area of Cyprus Reply with quote

All you wrote the other day is correct but the actual situation here is worse,and deteriorating!Leaving aside the influx of people from Greece looking for work who speak the language here and whose years of service are legally valid when considering anyone for employment in government jobs here,there are also far too many Cypriots chasing an ever shrinking number of jobs here in all fields,many of whom are highly qualified but have no relevant experience !Inevitably they end up either working in low level positions with poor salaries,living off their parents,many of whom are now facing economic problems due to the recession,or,hoping to find work abroad.
Paphos is the worst hit area on this side with even manual jobs now being grabbed by Bulgarians and Romanians who are also E.U. passport holders ready to work for low wages which a Cypriot would scorn!
I am lucky enough to have some freelance work with a local private institute which has known me for years but even this is precarious and only earns me some extra money to supplement what my wife makes from her small travel business which is also struggling this year like many other firms here.The only reason I have this work is because is speak several languages,including Greek well and the director uses me for various other duties such as invigilating exams etc. several times per year but I certainly never make enough to live on and just see it as a part-time casual job while it lasts.......
Anyone thinking of coming to Cyprus to look for ESL work would definitely be far better off elsewhere,especially if they don't know Greek either and Paphos is the worst place to be looking!Any vacancies which may have come along in September at private schools and institutes in other towns such as Limassol and Nicosia have no doubt already been grabbed by one of the hundreds of Cypriot graduates on the interminable waiting lists for government school teaching jobs,regardless of the low pay and conditions which they inevitably offer.
Sorry to sound so negative,but Cyprus never was an easy place to find work,even when times were better,especially for foreigners and now we have caught up with the rest of the world and are praying we will not be come like Greece!
Cheers for now and I'd be pleased to read any comments you wish to make
Dedicated

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your forthright, on-the-ground comments on the situation
which may prevent people thinking they can easily pick up work in Cyprus.

Cyprus has just become the fifth country to beg for an EU bailout so it is unlikely the employment situation will improve in the near future.

I hope you survive, Maruss, and I wish you well.
maruss

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:57 pm    Post subject: Thanks for your good wishes! Reply with quote

The situation here is getting quite precarious as regards finding work and it is also almost impossible to find new students on a freelance basis now the summer has started.Prospects for the autumn are dubious at best......
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: