Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

allowances
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hugebritneyfan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:23 am    Post subject: allowances Reply with quote

I was offered a job and my contract lists a number of allowances in addition to my regular salary. My salary and these allowances equal up to around 8,500. I was just wondering if allowances were a typical thing for UAE contracts. I'm a little worried the school will come up with excuses for not giving me certain allowances that were promised.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are the norm. There should also be free furnished housing, free tickets, paid visa, health care and a gratuity at the end of the contract.

That is a very low salary. What is your education and experience?

VS
hugebritneyfan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it also normal for the school to require 20 passport size photos for the visa process?
helenl

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The number of photos is normal

The salary is not - and your end of service gratuity is based on your base salary, NOT with all the allowances included.
Gulezar

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

8,500?
$8,500 USD is all right
8,500 AED is another story.
hugebritneyfan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's about 8,500 AED without post-qualified experience.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hugebritneyfan wrote:
...without post-qualified experience.

Not quite sure what this means. So do you have any teaching experience? Or do you just have a new teaching degree and have only done your student teaching? Do you have a teaching certificate/license from your home country?

So often with these very low pay position, they are also very poor employers. Have you checked this school out? Did you do a search here and a google to see if there are any teachers out there with horror stories to tell?

VS
Gus Barkley

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is up with all these sub-Dh 10000 salary offers? Is the world economy so bad that employers think they can get away with such a low offer?
helenl

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like the less desirable employers are making these offers to naive, newly qualified without experience applicants. The top tier (and best salary and benefit) employers pay for what they get, well qualified and experienced employees.
hugebritneyfan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks as though, the only way to turn themselves in an experienced employee for a top tier employer is to start at the bottom with these less desirable employers.

How on earth is someone supposed to be hired by the top tier without the experience they want.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hugebritneyfan wrote:
It looks as though, the only way to turn themselves in an experienced employee for a top tier employer is to start at the bottom with these less desirable employers. How on earth is someone supposed to be hired by the top tier without the experience they want.

A reality check...

Seriously, it's unrealistic and unreasonable to assume a newly-minted degree and low to no teaching experience will get you top money in this region. I suspect many MA holders---myself included---qualified for our high-paying jobs after first gaining relevant experience in other countries. (By relevant, I'm referring to desirable skills and expertise in areas like language test creation, curriculum design, academic writing, ESP, etc.) We didn't resort to working for insultingly-low salaries; we were realistic about our level of experience and not choosy about where to gain more, while enhancing what we already had.

Throughout these forums, you'll see where newbies and those with minimal qualifications are advised to look elsewhere in the world in order to build that relevant experience before applying (and competing) for the better Gulf jobs. And time again, that message gets lost. Many newbies are blinded by the idea of the glitz and excitement of making beaucoup money in the exotic Gulf, only to be disappointed and defensive when hit with a low-ball offer that reflects their level of qualifications. Welcome to the real world where not everything is handed out freely to everyone on a silver platter.
helenl

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And depending on the low level employer, the employee is less likely to get the experience needed to move up the food chain.
hugebritneyfan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do I make sure this position in UAE will count as experience since it's my first position as a qualified teacher?

I'd hate to complete a 2 year contract only to find out that it doesn't count.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hugebritneyfan wrote:
How do I make sure this position in UAE will count as experience since it's my first position as a qualified teacher?

I'd hate to complete a 2 year contract only to find out that it doesn't count.

First off... you have given us no idea of your current credentials. Do you have an education related first degree? Are you a certified/licensed teacher in your home country? Do you have a CELTA?

And actually it is almost impossible to know how any particular future employer is going to treat your experience... as none of us knows for sure what is in the mind of the other employers.

Here are some examples of experience that doesn't do you much good on your CV in the Middle East with the top tier employers:

Conversation classes in Asia (or anywhere)
Private lessons
Teaching early elementary students (if you are trying to get a job at a uni)
General language school teaching (at a place like Berlitz)
Teaching in the Sabis system if you are interested in top tier International schools.

And yes, it can take a few years to move up the ladder... just as is true in any career field. If you want to teach K-12, a teaching cert/license from your home country is crucial to move up the ladder. If you want to teach university level, an MA is essential for the top jobs in addition to 3-5 years of related experience. (meaning that you have taught Academic English... reading/writing or integrated skills)

VS
hugebritneyfan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Bachelor of Arts in English and a Bachelor of Education with 3 years of teaching ESL in Asia (with a TESOL certificate) prior to obtaining my B. Ed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: