Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

To France I Must - A Determined American with a Family
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xie Lin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:01 am    Post subject: Re: Over a year Reply with quote

d moon wrote:

When I say easy that means I have a right to live here because of family connections

Ah, here's the missing piece!

spiral78

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
When I say easy that means I have a right to live here because of family connections and it took well over a year, probably about a year and a half of three-monthly visits to the Prefecture before I received a carte de resident.

Exactly. This would not be an option for someone without family in France. The 18 months of three-monthly visits can't happen under Schengen zone laws now. d_moon's experience with paperwork simply isn't applicable unless one already has a right to live in France due to family connections.
santi84

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theory wrote:
Xie Lin wrote:
Sashadroogie wrote:
Quebec!

Of course, he doesn't have the right to live or work in Quebec, any more than he does in France. But I agree--Quebec can have a very European feel, particularly Montreal and Quebec City, two of may favorite North American cities.

Sasha, yes I have considered Quebec, especially Montreal. Xie Lin is right that I don't have the right to work in Quebec, but I think it would be easier (but perhaps only a little) and probably cheaper to try and get a job and work permit in Quebec than France. So I will definitely continue to consider this as an option in the future.

I too am curious and would love more details about how long d moon took to get his papers and how much luck played in that endeavor.

It's not easier to work here in Quebec actually, it's very hard for an American to get a work permit. There are millions of English speakers (both native and bilingual francophones), so getting a job here based on teaching English will be impossible. All jobs require bilingual French and English, even the English teachers. A master's degree in it too if you want anyone to look at your resume.

If you really really really want to learn French, have you thought of living in northern NY or VT and visiting us Question It's a 45-60 minute commute from Plattsburgh or Burlington. If you live in the north of those states, you can be immersed en francais in a short drive Smile
corniche

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For France:
A North American can apply for a 1 year long carte de s�jour temporaire mention visiteur (1 year temporary visitor card), by showing sufficient money, proof of housing for the year, proof of medical insurance for the year, and a signed statement of not seeking work for that time period. This is applied for in North America and is granted if you meet all the requirements, such as your passport being valid for another 15 months.

There is also the carte de s�jour temporaire mention vie priv�e et familiale, which refers to family ties, which are specifically being the spouse, child or parent of a French resident (maybe citizen). In that case, you can get working papers and health insurance. There is also an exceptional case for other family members.

Additionally, there is a professional visa, where you can write up a plan for a business that would benefit the R�publique and would employ French citizens. Some might say an ESL enterprise might apply for this category, but I would think you would need capital, French fluency, extensive experience. I don't know how practical this visa is, and it seems to be limited to a specific time period, and probably doesn't include health insurance, since you would be above the legal limit for free access with the resources you would need to show for the business.

There are also humanitarian visas for victims of trafficking, refugees, and also for minor children. These would give you work and health rights.

For Qu�bec:
The visa scheme for all of Canada is closed until 2013; previously you would calculate your points online, which you would earn through language fluency, years of education, type of profession, years in profession. I think the new age range is going to be 18-35. If you obtain this visa, you will have full work rights almost immediately and provincial health insurance after 3 months (immediately in Manitoba). New Brunswick also has French communities and education, and I think there are French language schools in most other provinces as well for your children.

I wrote this rapidly and don't have time to check it all, so please excuse any errors or imprecisions. I may revise it later.
ShereKhan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

riverboat wrote:

Working as a full-time teacher in the public university system is basically impossible, I believe you have to go through a special exam that requires native-level French.

I'd be interested to learn more about that. Are you talking about the CAPES or the "Agrég"?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> France All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: