Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Thames Valley Schools.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom
View previous topic :: View next topic  
microbabe

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:44 pm    Post subject: Thames Valley Schools. Reply with quote

Hi,

Does anyone know if they are decent to work for ? I have an interview on Thursday and can't find a lot of info about them.

Many thanks,

Smile
john123

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends how much dignity you have. And using the word 'decent' is a bit of a no-no regards summer schools I am afraid.

I touched them many years ago, and never again with a barge-pole. I went quietly about my business, being polite where I had to be, and actually attempting to teach the kids something. For some reason a group of lads from one country decided to gang up on me, and intimidate me by forming a circle around me and hurling mis-pronounced insults in English I think. It was not fun. This episode was seen by the Director of the show who did absolutely nothing. And when these lads were swinging one of my students against a wheel of a slowly accelerating bus, I was victimised by the oh-so powerful losers at the top for giving the offenders a ruddy good eye-balling and telling off. Discipline - not in this day and age I am afraid.

All-round respect and care for teachers - zero.
So-called 'carers' who travel with the children for a free holiday - arrogant and obnoxious.
Kids - carefully selected from the crazy zoo.
DOS - a perfectionist, but not a teacher.
Food - better ready meals from Kwik-Save in its heyday.
Pay - distinctly average.
Teaching materials available - almost zero.

No, not decent.
john123

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regards

John.
GriffinParka

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:37 pm    Post subject: TVSS Reply with quote

I'll second that. Worked for them once and never did a summer school for years afterwards.

When I asked on the phone, prior to interview, how much the pay was, the director snorted something about 'peanuts'.

Says it all really - the attitude towards the teachers was very dismissive. Should never have done it, but I was desperate for cash (and unqualified, I might add!)
microbabe

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. Had the interview will have to wait and see now. It went OK I think. Will keep applying for more summer jobs.

Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: