Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wellington NZ job for experienced qualified teacher?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Australia/New Zealand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
macedonianmike

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:15 am    Post subject: Wellington NZ job for experienced qualified teacher? Reply with quote

I'm going to Wellington to finish up my MA in in the autumn. I'd like to try to find work there but don't know about the opportunities. I'm a native speaker from the US, have a TESL certificate, 5 years of teaching experience and will have my MA TESOL from a NZ university.

Any info, advice, or links would be much appreciated.
mmcmorrow

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike,

you may be able to get some information about this from Victoria Uni (I'm assuming that's where you're doing the MA). They'll know more about the situation on the ground there.

The jobs market is fairly tight in NZ right now. Auckland has about 50 - 60 % of the international students nationally; Wellington has about 20%, so it's a fairly smallish sector in the windy city to start with.

I'm not sure what your visa status will be. If you don't already have the right to work in NZ, I don't think any centre will be able to sponsor you for a work permit in the current climate, even if they did have a vacancy. However, you can always try your luck by contacting the 10 - 20 English Language Schools and other PTEs (Private Tertiary Establishments) in the area.

Martin McMorrow, Massey University, Albany Campus, NZ
macedonianmike

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have an education visa. The main reason I'm going is to finish up my degree on campus. I read that it is possible to get a 1 year visa extension to look for work if you qualify. I might with the MA, but will have to consult with Victoria.

I'd be open to working in any city.
mmcmorrow

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. You'll need to clarify your visa status. As I mentioned, the job market is fairly tight at the moment, but it's just a question of applying and making yourself available. There are about 50 English language schools or colleges which include English language classes alongside other subjects in the Auckland region - and about the same in the rest of the country. These colleges collectively are known as PTEs (private tertiary establishments). You can find a list of them on the NZQA website. I could email you a list of schools in the Auckland area, if you want.

In your CV, it's worth highlighting relevant ESOL teaching experience that might make you an attractive proposition - e.g.:

teaching Arabic speakers
basic literacy
IELTS preparation
Business English
familiarity with major coursebooks (e.g. Cutting Edge etc - useful in case they need someone to substitute)
IT knowledge / training
Online / blended English teaching

cheers,

Martin McMorrow, Massey University, Albany
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Australia/New Zealand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: