Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Peppy Kids Club Interview
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
neggo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, thanks Kionon.

My reason for choosing that area is because my girlfriend lives there.

However, I am happy regardless that I got accepted...Japan, after all, is puny in comparison to Canada...
Calico

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also applied to Interac the same time as PKC and interviewed at the same time (like a week from each other.) I heard from Interac in a week with an offer. I accepted and waited to hear back from PKC. (I had not signed anything with Interac, just said "okay"). Finally on the last possible date (of the timeline they had given me to hear back) I heard back favorable from PKC as well. Since they were the ones I wanted out of the two (Interac was a backup) I accepted and then told Interac I could no longer accept the position. They expressed disappointment but then that was the end of that.

Basically what I'm saying is that I was in the same exact situation and it all worked out in the end. Wink

Also I loved the "what if a child ran out?" question. Took me by surprise so I said "GO AFTER IT, OF COURSE!" which is pretty much what PKC trains you to do (to an extent, depends on the exact situation) but I thought "I don't want to know what some people answer this with."
neggo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I said the same thing!

Calico, how did you find the two week training? When I was speaking to my recruiter, she mentioned how they call it "boot camp" because it is quite intensive.

Do you remember what the schedule was like?
neggo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an update.

I got accepted to both Interac and PKC and I am probably going with PKC. Reason is, Interac's Aug/Sept start date are full and I've been provided with the choice of either coming in April 2013 or coming as an alternate in Dec or February.

Peppy Kids, however, will provide me with an earlier start date. Although originally, at first, my start date was going to be September, I received an e-mail from my recruiter saying that they will cancel the September intake and just carry on with the training on October 1st.
Calico

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

neggo wrote:
I said the same thing!

Calico, how did you find the two week training? When I was speaking to my recruiter, she mentioned how they call it "boot camp" because it is quite intensive.

Do you remember what the schedule was like?

"boot camp" is a good phrase for it. It is quite time consuming and you learn a lot of stuff during that time. They cram every curriculum into you and you regurgitate it back through demos and the like. It's six days a week all day. (like, 9-6ish just for the regular training, later hours for when you go to watch schools). When Itrained we were going out as far as two hours one way just to shadow teachers, but I've heard it's not quite that bad these days. (I think me going the month after the earthquake didn't help.)

Also, if you've never been to Japan before, you'll have that weighing on you as well. Just try to get all the rest you can every night and study the curriculum before the test and you'll be good to go.
neggo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you ever get any personal time during the training? Also, how many people trained with you?
Calico

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You get Sundays off, and the nights you don't go out to "field train". But usually most of us were too exhausted to do anything on Sundays except resting and doing a tiny bit of sight-seeing.

My training group started with maybe...20 people? The first two formal training days everyone is together to go over company stuff, and then it splits up between those staying in Nagoya to train and people going to Osaka / Tokyo / elsewhere to train for the remainder of the time. So by the end there was about 11 or so of us. I thought it was a pretty good size.
Juggernaut64

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:29 am    Post subject: Start Dates for PKC Reply with quote

Hello,

I interviewed for PKC in LA and finally was offered a job, took a month from the interview to find out (was told 2-3 weeks). What the person in LA was telling me was that the Sept start date got pushed back till Oct (was told that in the interview) and now she mentioned that the start date will most likely be Nov with a small chance of even being in Jan. I'm just wondering if anyone that was offered a job recently has heard of this. The reason for pushing back the dates being more people than expected signed on for another year. I hope it doesn't get pushed back again, I want to buy a plane ticket before the prices go up. As of now seeing the cheapest plane ticket being $700.
Juggernaut64

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:32 am    Post subject: BTW Reply with quote

O btw, my friend who currently works of PKC said training was terrible/intense, but if he trained again, in would be a walk in the park.
neggo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was supposed to start in September as well but they mentioned that it would most likely start in October. They got me to complete all the documents for the Visa and handed it into Vancouver office last week.

I hope to God that they do not change it again. I am hoping that the start date stays at October...I would be extremely disappointed in them if they got me to start in January.

As of now, there is no news from my head office that the October start date has changed. I hope they keep it that way!
Juggernaut64

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:09 pm    Post subject: Start Date Reply with quote

Let's hope nothing changes, I fell like I might be the plus 1 (overbooked) and they want to put me into the next class after Oct, which might not be till January. I would not be happy at all with that, think I would ask for compensation. This is a chance that I cant pass up so going in January would be better than not going at all, but I would be resentful.
neggo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's hope so.

Did they give you the package with the contract and all of the visa documents already? Did they tell you when they need it back from you? Also, when did you interview?
Juggernaut64

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I interviewed on June 13 and was offered the job on July 12th. (Forever long, wonder if that only happens at the LA office) The packet is in the mail; verbally she never said when I had to turn it in by, but it might mention it on the packet. I'll let you know when the packet comes. I'm going to fill out the packet as fast as possible just in case that would help me get a sooner start date. It would seem like they would have around 3/4 training classes a year, so having an Oct and Nov training dates doesn't seem right.
neggo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They actually have training all year-round on average because, I assume, of people leaving every month. It also says that on their website. Things may have just got a bit wonky because of the fact that more people than usual decided to stay on for another year.

I spoke to my recruiter and she said my package has already been sent, so my CoE and Visa is in process. She never mentioned anything about the October start date being cancelled, so here's to hoping that things stay that way. As for length of time in regards to hearing about hiring, I suppose it varies. I was actually told to wait for a week or two but heard back two days after.

Once you fill all the forms, return it to her as soon as possible! Perhaps it would help in getting an earlier start date as you have said.
Juggernaut64

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The contract that was sent to me was for January 14th, 2013. :[ I emailed the LA office and they said that there might be a position open in November, that she was waiting to hear back. I filled out all the forms as fast as possible and sent them back a week later. I got a call today and she said a position was available in November and possibly October. Asked which month I preferred to go and I said either one is good. I believe she said the start dates were the 2nd, Oct and 4th, Nov. So good news dont have to wait forever... BTW here is a neat link http://jciv.iidj.net/map/ it lists current radiation levels in Japan. Make sure you check out were you are going, dont be afraid to say no to a location with a good dose of radiation.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: