Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

best tefl program in BA?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Argentina
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spm5889

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:05 am    Post subject: best tefl program in BA? Reply with quote

Background info: 23 year old white female with a BA in journalism. My goal is to move to BA in 3 to 4 months and start a certification class upon arrival. I am, however, having a hard time choosing which certificate program to take with there being so many options! Anyone have any positive first-hand experiences with one? The "bridgetefl" website looks legitimate to me. It offers spanish language classes on the side, as well as hostel/host family accommodation options and job placement once the program has concluded. However, I have never heard of the IDELT certificate that is earned through this specific program. Is it recognized world wide, as TEFL and CELTA certificates are? Any guidance on this subject would be highly appreciated... and thanks to all who take the time read this.
Caporetto

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:56 pm    Post subject: TEFL in Buenos Aires Reply with quote

Hi, sorry for not noticing your post sooner.

I would forget that certification programme personally. It may be alright, even a great experience, but it's not recognised. Here coem some ifs and buts:

- The two recognised 'entry level' qualifications for TEFL work are the Trinity Cert. TESOL and the Cambridge CELTA. These are by now available internationally, everywhere (especially the CELTA).

- But, it has to be said that you may well find some work* in Buenos Aires with a certificate you make yourself or from an online course: turnover of teachers** is 'a la revolving door'.

* Work in Bs As means odd hours here and there. Forget sick pay, holiday pay, insurance, flights, accommodation, legal status and the rest of the 'perks'.

** Most schools expect, and get, backpackers, not teachers. Part of the initial effort is convincing people you're serious and not about to sod off to Colombia.

---So, udsides and downsides. Feel free to message me with questions. But I would forget about BridgeTEFL and things like that, it's throwing money away. If you want to live dangerously, just turn up and teach.
Caporetto

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:01 pm    Post subject: Bs As Reply with quote

You're not aiming to arrive at a very good time either.

Presuming you'd be looking for work November-December, you may pick up some summer holiday cover classes, but everyone will be getting ready for the hottest and dampest months of the year, when Bs As becomes an inferno. You won't feel much like teaching in 40 degrees.

Can you get a CELTA somewhere and then time Bs As for early-mid March?
spanglish

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bet that International House offers a CELTA in B.A. Perhaps that would be a good plan.
White ice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Bs As Reply with quote

Caporetto wrote:
when Bs As becomes an inferno. You won't feel much like teaching in 40 degrees.

BA has only EVER reached 40 in January.

No month has an average high above 29 degrees.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Argentina All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: