Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What about quitting from a 3 year contract early?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
benjpedro

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:00 pm    Post subject: What about quitting from a 3 year contract early? Reply with quote

Hello good people of the emirates,

So I'm looking at the offered contract and it's 3 years long....my newbie question is..can one quit if things don't work out well (for any reason)? Also, I assume you can't get a pay raise in those 3 years....your salary stays more or less flat based on the initial offer?

And what if you get married in the middle of your contract? I'm single now but definitely looking to get hitched within these 3 years?

I have not signed yet....please help!

thanks so much.
helenl

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For many contracts in education you are on probation for 12 months (some are shorter perhaps). Either party can end the contract without reason or cause.

Most institutions require a full semester's notice in order to walk away during the contract - your contract should state exactly what the requirements are.

Be aware that if you receive any allowances - for example at HCT you get a furniture allowance that is pro-rated over the 3 year contract, so if you leave at the end of the second year - you will have to repay 1/3 of that allowance back to them.

Lots of people get married in the middle of their contracts - it's mostly a headache in terms of paperwork but if your employer has a decent fixer, it is relatively painless.

No you don't usually get a raise but that can vary from institution to institution, and even then you can't count your chickens. HCT is an example of that, they used to have annual raises, then they reduced the annual and put in a merit increase and most recently they've done away with the merit (and all of these were included in contracts - they just stopped it unilaterally).
benjpedro

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope the 'relocation allowance' is not pro rated...
helenl

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They very well may be - and you probably won't be able to claim the repatriation allowance either if you break the contract.
benjpedro

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if it's not explicitly stated as 'pro-rated' on the contact?? i can't really find a line about pro-rating the relocation allowance... the termination clauses only involve the gratuity computed on the basic salary.
helenl

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The words may not be exactly pro-rated - if it is related in anyway to fully completing the contract they'll be able to claw back part of it.

If you are entering into a 3 year contract with a view to finding a way out of it for whatever reason, sounds like there are other issues than just the relocation allowance. If you're worried about them taking back a portion of it, budget that into your financial plan so it won't hurt.
baa_baa

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i heard there is a new law. If you quit early you get banned for 6 months. I am not sure if they will give you the NOC letter.
benjpedro

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what is an NOC?

I just wanted to know about resignation because that's just how work life is.

Sometimes things don't work out..sometimes they do...and sometimes it's best to leave rather than stick it out and be unhappy/miserable. (This is something we take for granted in Europe) And for most of us, we've never signed fixed term contracts, we get a job and we stay till we are happy or fired or a better opportunity comes along...notices are often only 30 days and I do accept that for an educational institution, it's fair that you finish off the term when you decide to quit.
bin There

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The NOC is a No Objection Certificate (from the employer you're leaving / have just left). You used to need it to change jobs if you hadn't completed your contract. It was particularly used by government institutions. However, things changed last year. See this Gulf News article:

http://gulfnews.com/news/gulf/uae/employment/new-rule-marks-end-of-no-objection-certificates-1.732839
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: