Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How much does Kojen pay ABC's/CBC's?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wayne1523

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:51 pm    Post subject: How much does Kojen pay ABC's/CBC's? Reply with quote

Hey guys. I'm still in Kaohsiung right now, and I'd like to know how much Kojen pays the Asian-faced English teacher born and raised in America/Canada. I'd like to teach in their adult program, as after having worked in my current adult cram school, I realize it's the only people that I want to teach. And just to throw it in there, I've got 1 year experience teaching kids in Korea, a CELTA, and now 4 months experience teaching adults here in Taiwan.

I'm only getting 450/hr. right now for being Asian rather than 600 at my current school. So ofcourse I'm always looking elsewhere that can give me more.

Does this apply to Kojen? Anyone who has worked there that knows exact figures for someone who looks like me with my mentioned qualifications? Thanks. Smile
wayne1523

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, before all this, I just realized to ask a pre-requisite question: Do they even hire Asians at all? lol
atreyue

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey wayne - good questions. There are always exceptions to every rule, so I will give you what I know from experience.

Let me preface this by saying that I am not an ABC/CBC or even asian, these thoughts come strictly from what I have seen as standard practice in Taipei (May be different in other parts of Taiwan)

Generally ABC/CBC are discouraged from applying for NES positions. There is a belief (although unfounded) among the Taiwanese to be successful in learning English then they would have a preference for learning English from someone who does not look like them. "them" being asian. Sorry to say, but true. They believe that a foreign language needs to be taught by a foreign 'face' - so white, black - ok.

Now, there are some schools that do hire ABC/CBC - but then turn around and call them "chinese teachers" and pay them at substantially lower wages than "white faces".

Sorry, it's the nature of the business.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Taiwan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: